NSW optional private PREP
Can you help me ??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _Alana_

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

Hello !
We are in NSW so prep is optional and private.
We have decided to swap our son to prep this year instead of another year at long day care where he doesn't seem to be getting much out of it ( I work there too, it's not that they don't try I think it's more the amount of 30 kids, big challenging children, my child is abot of a class clown/follower and gets side tracked easily ). They also have 5 spots available so it's guaranteed entry into our chosen private school instead of fighting for a kindy spot next year.  
So we are very late in the game, we have an interview next week to hopefully start the following week - so all rush rush.
Anyway, we don't know anyone that has used prep before so I don't know what I expect.
I can get him to write his name with a fair amount of guidance ( telling him the actions as he goes) he can count to 10, muddle through the abc missing or mis pronouncing a few. Knows colours, most shapes. Can cut out really well.
Behaviour wise, apart from cheeky and a dare devil - making friends and sharing all that he is actually great at.  
Will they expect more from him to start ?? He has the knowledge to write and abc etc but often just says its too hard and 'can't you do it for me'.I'm so nervous w he is going to behind ??
He is 4 in may.
Like I said I just don't know what to expect , what they expect!!! Any help for my very stressed head from ppl that have been there please ??

#2 baddmammajamma

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

My son attended a private preschool at an outstandling private school (with a K-6 school attached), and there were no expectations at 3.5/newly 4 that children would be able to do flawlessly all of the things you are worried about. I say this in the best possible way, but please don't get worked up about "skills" in an almost 4 year old. original.gif Preschool is there to help them get ready for big kid school.

And if the school or other parents there make you feel as if your son is dramatically behind, that might be a sign that it's not the kind of environment you want for your son.

Hope he has a wonderful preschool experience. My son (who is starting kindergarten this week) had an amazing time in preschool and learned so much in a fun, nurturing way!

PS: Since it's a private school, will your son be starting kindergarten in 2015? I know that many private schools in NSW have an earlier cut off for kindergarten (April 30th) than state schools. That is, a child born in May 2009 would not be able to start kindergarten at our school until 2015; whereas the state schools in NSW would allow that child to start in 2014, if the parents chose for him/her to do so.

#3 _Alana_

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

Thankyou for your reply!
No the teacher or parents haven't made me feel that ( yet anyway , I haven't met them ! )
I'm stressed about what they will ask him to do in the interview. All they said is they look at a variety of things to see if he will fit in with the class. I know the other youngest is 3 11months eldest 4 6 months so already a big difference in prep!
Their cut off as far I know is 29th June ? So they know he is looking at starting kindergarten 2014.
I will also ask them if for some reason I really feel the need, can you do 2 years of prep ?

#4 baddmammajamma

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Hi again:

School readiness can vary greatly from child to child. Still, it might be that a good portion of their kindergarten class for 2014 will be made up of kids who are turning 5 in 2014, but that is something you could probe with them. "Do you tend to have a lot of children starting kindergarten who won't be turning 5 until later that year?"

If I were you, I would convey confidence that my child would fit in beautifully at the preschool and that you think he would really benefit from a more structured preschool program, but I would also gently probe what options exist for children "on the cusp." That is, if your son has a good year at preschool this year but there are any reservations about school readiness on your side or the teacher's/school's side, is there an option to do another year of preschool?

Good luck! I know it's easy to say, but try not to worry. At the end of the day, you will want your child in a school that suits them for where they are right now in their development. Hopefully, your son can just be himself on interview day, and that will be more than enough to wow them! original.gif

#5 mylittlemen

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

The interview for our son to start at private prep this year was just a chance for the school to meet us as a family. I'm guessing that if they were looking at anything it was his social interactions. This is for the prep at the Sydney eastern suburbs private to year 12 school.

QUOTE (baddmammajamma @ 28/01/2013, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PS: Since it's a private school, will your son be starting kindergarten in 2015? I know that many private schools in NSW have an earlier cut off for kindergarten (April 30th) than state schools. That is, a child born in May 2009 would not be able to start kindergarten at our school until 2015; whereas the state schools in NSW would allow that child to start in 2014, if the parents chose for him/her to do so.

As an FYI, our son doesn't meet the private schools April cut off for kindy the following year. There are a few others in this situation. The view of the school is that he will either do a second year of preschool/prep or will go straight on to kindy, regardless of not meeting the age cut off, if he is socially ready (and they should have a pretty good read of this after a year of prep)

ETA, they didn't actually ask him to show any skills in the interview. They just gave him some toys to play with and chatted to us.

Edited by mylittlemen, 28 January 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#6 _Alana_

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

Thanks a lot mylittemen, that's good to hear about your interview !
I'm so nervous and excited !

#7 mylittlemen

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Just to let you know, the sorts of things they asked us included

What was special about our little man, what was he really great at!
What were we looking for in a school
Why were we keen on this particular school
Were we committed to keeping him there for the whole of primary school
What was important to us for his education

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.