iPad's and the internet
Does a USB internet dongle work?

18 replies to this topic

#1 Oilucy

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Hi
We are looking at getting an iPad but are mainly wanting it for iTunes.
We dont have wireless at home, so was wondering whether I will be able to plug in my USB internet connection into the side of it like  do my work laptop to access the internet that way?
i dont want to get a sim card or whatever for it and have to fork out for another internet plan....

#2 Aspiring2BaGiraffe

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

iPads do not have any USB points.  Unfortunately the only way to get internet is via the sim card or a wireless connection.

#3 cinnabubble

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

There's no USB port on an Ipad. You'd need wireless, even a wireless dongle.

#4 cira

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

And the internet-able iPad with a sim-card  is more expensive than the wireless only option so that is another thing to consider..

#5 Neko NoNo

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

The charger is a USB on all apple products. You can connect directly to the computer through that.

#6 IsolaBella

iPads do connect to the computer via the apple charger cable which is USB at one point.

That way you can put movies, TV and songs on the ipad.

I would just get a wireless router for home though. DSs ipad though is not Internet connected so we can control content. We just turn on the wifi when we need to do something.

Edited by lsolaBella, 28 January 2013 - 01:11 PM.

#7 melaine

I think the cheapest option would be to get a wireless modem to replace yours, or a wireless router to add onto your current modem.

eta - or as a PP said. Download your stuff in itunes on the computer and connect ipad to itunes on computer to sync stuff to the ipad.

Edited by melaine, 28 January 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#8 9ferals

No, you can't plug in an Internet dongle that way.  But if your computer at home is a laptop (and has wireless) you should be able to set up a mini wireless network and get Internet access that way.

Or you can get a prepaid sim and just top it up with 20 or 30 dollars when you want to use it. You only get 30 days though before it expires. Or you can pay $180 and get 1 year before it expires. That's with Telstra, other companies might have some other options for you.
I know that's not what you were after but at least you aren't locked into a plan.

#9 Oilucy

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Oh drats. Maybe we'd be better off with a laptop in that case (my work laptop can only be used for work purposes).
What about Samsung iPad's would they be the same does anyone know?

#10 spersephone

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

What is it that you want to do? Then we can help.

Do you want to download movies/music etc? That uses lots of MBs too.  Do you just want to stream stuff from your computer to the ipad/tablet? If so, you need to set up a wifi network (which doesn't cost anything except the access point/router), if your modem can't do it.

Edited by spersephone, 28 January 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#11 FiveAus

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Do you have a mobile phone? I've got my iPhone set up as a personal hotspot and my iPad connects to the internet through that. You just need to have a decent data plan for the phone.

#12 IsolaBella

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

I also use my mobile as Internet hotspot when out to access wifi on my mini.

#13 Oilucy

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Thanks girls.
Yes I do have a mobile but not enough data allowance to be of much assistance.
We're basically wanting it for our iTunes library, to purchase music every so often and to occasionally surf the net.
The prob is that I need my USB Internet for work and need the mobility outside of home that it offers so I'm trying to avoid going to wireless

#14 FiveAus

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

You'd have to work out if it would be cheaper to buy extra data for your mobile plan, or buy a 3G iPad with it's own plan. I expect the former will be more economical. I have 1GB data with my mobile plan and bought an extra $5 data pack which gives me 250MB more. That does me for a month, although I use the wireless network at home.

Or get a different brand of tablet with a USB port.

#15 Oilucy

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

Yes I'm thinking a different brand of tablet with a USB port it would make things much easier I think
Thanks everyone for your advice

#16 EBeditor

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

I would just buy a laptop.

#17 msro82

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

I would look at a pocket wifi.

While we have wifi at home, we use a telstra pocket wifi for our ipads when travelling and it works fantastically.

#18 CallMeFeral

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

Check out a different brand of tablet. I don't think the others are so limited.

#19 cward

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

I would look at a pocket wifi.

While we have wifi at home, we use a telstra pocket wifi for our ipads when travelling and it works fantastically.
  This we do the same, its great.  It could also run your laptop, you wouldn't need the USB one anymore

Also if you buy a different brand won't you have to re0buy all your music because I'm pretyy sure you won't be able to access itunes

Edited by cward, 29 January 2013 - 10:01 AM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.