What cool things has EB helped you with?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 jo-v

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

I posted a thread in "Books etc." with a very, very sketchy synopsis of a book I read about 10 years ago but couldn't remember the author or title. Within 24 hours a lovely member had guessed the title and I managed to get a copy delivered from Amazon.  Am now half way thorugh the book and thoroughly enjoying re-reading it. original.gif

Where else could you get a service like that?!  biggrin.gif  Good old EB.

#2 ~rollercoaster~

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Mine was also a book title. I read in highschool and couldn't remember.

#3 Beltie

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Someone asked for solutions for her scaly, dry foot about 2 weeks ago. There were some fascinatingly gruesome descriptions of Milky Foot mentioned.

I did it 2 weeks ago and after some excessive shedding I now have soft, milky feet! I never knew it was possible.

#4 erindiv

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Most recently, learning that Cesar Milan is an a-hole.

#5 countrymel

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

A gorgeous member mailed me two jars of marmite after she read about my plight in this thread...

It remains the nicest thing the internet has ever done for me!

Oh and - no, NO the Marmite-tastrophe still isn't over!

#6 hayzee fantayzee

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

My DS was born teeny tiny with IUGR due to my pre eclampsia. During the winter I needed to have him close for warmth but get on with things around the house and play with my then 19mo toddler.

I was recommended the Sleepywrap sling by EBers who replied to my thread and I thank them from bottom of my heart. It was the best $80 I ever spent. DS was happy, safe and cosy, DD was happy as I could play and tend to her and I was happy as I had happy kids.

Even as a chunky 8mo now, DS's eyes light up when I get it out as he knows a walk and a cuddle are coming.

#7 Mercurial

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

An EB member invited me to her home to discuss poo.  I think that takes a pretty special person.

#8 Dionysus

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

a member stepped in and saved our dummy crisis when 'happy baby' dummies had a halt on manufacture/supply and we weren't ready to give them up.

She sent us a pack she had in the back of her cupboard, which got us through to when the dummies were re-stocked again.

#9 LittleListen

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

The truly lovely Lucretia Borgia recently helped me out of a massive bind with a hard-to-find book at her own expense. I think I will  wub.gif her forever!

I've been helped with advice and support in lots and lots of ways over the years I've been around, directly and indirectly.

Most recently was the deep toilet clean a couple of hours ago  ph34r.gif

#10 twinboys

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

Reading about the diva cup and then going to buy one!
Best $25 I have ever spent!

#11 Madeline's Mum

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

Too many things. Mostly, a wonderful support network of women who have tragically lost a baby like me. I don't know what I would have don't without them.

EB also got me hooked on MCNs which has led to our own business and baby wearing which was a godsend for newborn time.

#12 Lucretia Borgia

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Happy to help original.gif

I have had heaps of advice from various members.....probably most helpful was how to get blue tack out of a baby's very fine hair (thank you DS 1) ....baby oil in case you are wondering....

But just in general, EB relieves me of the boredom and tedium of motherhood.....it's great to come on here to have a laugh, a b1tch about something, engage in some good ol political or religious argy bargy  ph34r.gif ...or just get a sympathetic ear from someone.

It's also good at kicking your ass back to reality if you've ventured into princess territory.... laugh.gif

Edited...weird dp

Edited by Lucretia Borgia, 28 January 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#13 Paddlepop

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

I have had fantastic recovery advice from EB for my wisdom teeth removal and my DH's tonsil removal. The hints and advice I got really made a difference and helped the recoveries to be faster and easier.

The best hint overall was about the Waterpik water flosser. I was having trouble properly flushing out the holes left from my wisdom teeth removal and asked for help and how long would the holes last. Someone mentioned the Waterpik. I bought one the next day and OMG, the food that I got out of my tooth holes! There was a entire white watermelon seed in there under other food that I had no idea about. That was $150 very well spent.

FTR, it took about 4 months for the holes to heal up to the point that I no longer need to flush them.

#14 Gudrun

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

Not me but my daughter.  She had been looking everywhere for a mini-armchair to match the one she already had.  

She posted the problem on EB and within no time at all was advised of where she could get one not far from home.  That was a couple of years ago. Chair going strong.  I just thought that was magic.

EB is magic.  The collective knowledge and wisdom is gobsmacking; should be the first port of call for all manner of things.

What I enjoy the most is the work of the gifted humourists.  So many giggles!   So much fun!

#15 JustBeige

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (twinboys @ 28/01/2013, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reading about the diva cup and then going to buy one!
Best $25 I have ever spent!

Big time this!

I wish I had known about these 20years ago.

#16 Escapin

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Too many little things to recount, plus the fact that I like to hoover up information means that I've been able to help friends all over the place with advice and info. 'How do you know that?!?!?!' they ask.

#17 Canberra chick

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Diva cup
I have met a couple of wonderful strong women IRL through EB
Various dress sites that I will one day order from... (My Presbyterian streak that stops me eating a whole packet of biscuits also stops most impulse buying.. tongue.gif .)
Support and advice re: toilet training, quirky behaviour, menu planning, dealing with miscarriage etc etc.
Lots of great recipes and advice re: DS's food allergies and how to adapt or make new recipes. I remember one mum emailing me a list of safe and unsafe foods when it was all very new to me

And, possibly the most important thing: that there are wonderful women out there who do not agree with me on everything and it doesn't make them wrong or me wrong and it doesn't mean I can't still admire them. Particularly discussions on religion, working or not working, diet and fitness and some recent discussions on what it means to be a woman have opened me up to other points of view that I now see the reasoning behind even if I still vehemently disagree.

Wow, that was an essay!  blush.gif

#18 tait

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

This cooking blog. I've only tried a few things but they have all turned out really well.

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/09/sweet-recipes.html

#19 IsolaBella

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

Years ago EB got me onto Moo Goo as a way to get rid of Cradle Crap. Yes I still use it on my 5.5yo.

EB put me onto Pepperberry (bank account does not thank you though).

Just general good advice and other ways of looking at things.

#20 FreshAirFreedom

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Lunette cup - what a revelation!
So many recommended books.
Lots of ideas and resources to reduce gluten in my diet.
.. And what was of greatest value was support, understanding and information following my heartbreaking miscarriage in October last year.  sad.gif

#21 sa5ha

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Another vote for menstrual cups - I started using Lunette after reading about them on EB and they're brilliant!

#22 Miss Cookie

A lovely member named Roy G Biv responded to my plea for help. My son lost his most loved toy puppy on a flight to Melbourne. Roy G Biv located one in a store and sent it to me at no cost to myself. I also recieved a lovely photo of their children with puppy. It blew my mind. Puppy is still much loved.

Also my DIG's. I'm still in contact with the ladies from both but the 2010 group are very close. It's probably the safest place I can speak and feel accepted. They are amazing woman with the most beautiful toddlers.

#23 Silly Sausages

LOL, currently seeking help re: Diva cup wink.gif

#24 little lion

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

I really value the support during the TTC, miscarriage, pregnancy and parenthood journey. I've made a few lovely friends.

Baby name opinions were great too!

#25 Clever bunny

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (erindiv @ 28/01/2013, 05:13 PM)
15279163[/url]']
Most recently, learning that Cesar Milan is an a-hole.

I never really liked this guy and his methods but couldn't pinpoint why...has someone put my weird icky feeling into words?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.