Why did you reject my quote?
What to tell tradespeople

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 than4

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

After a series of dramas that has gone on all summer, we need a new air-conditioner.

I got two guys around for a quote, both quoted on the same system and are similar prices.  Both stated that if I got a better quote I should call them and they would match it.

I've decided who I would like to go with, but what do I tell the other guy?

His quote was competitive, I just felt more comfortable with the other sales guy and the company.  It is a big installer - normally I would be happy to go for the little guy with his own business but after we have been mucked around all summer with no airconditioning by such a 'small business' tradesperson I feel much more comfortable in this instance with the 'big boys'

What would/do you say to tradespeople who you are not using?

#2 erindiv

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

I'm a coward so I probably just wouldn't get back in touch with them. But that's rude, I'm sure.

You could send an email with something along the lines of:

"Hi XXX, just letting you know we have decided on another company to do our air conditioner installation. Thanks for your time and your quote. Regards YYY."

#3 EssentialBludger

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Nothing?

I've never rung back tradespeople to tell them I was going with someone else.

Crap, is that rude? unsure.gif

#4 jessie123

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Nothing

Your over thinking this. You will probably never hear back from them unless you contact him.

#5 SophieBear

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

If he contacts you just tell him then.

I wouldn't call and tell him.

#6 than4

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

He's already called me once (the next day, even though I told him that we wouldn't be making a decision until the weekend) so I expect another call in a few days.

I guess I'll just tell him that it's not about price it's about feeling???

#7 EssentialBludger

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Just tell the truth, you've been burnt and want to go with a bigger company. No need to make anything up.

#8 CallMeFeral

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

I usually don't bother contacting them again, unless there was some special rapport. There was a guy who was really nice and great communication, so I let him know we'd chosen a lower quote and thanked him for his time.

#9 Charli73

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Just tell him you felt more comfortable with a larger company.
I had a roof guy call over and over about a quote to see if I made a decision and this put me off especially since he was bad mouthing the other companies, I hate it when they do that and will reject quotes if they do..

I have called tradies back if we weren't using them but only if they were a friend of a friend etc..

#10 blackbird

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

blame your partner, dad, uncle, who told you to use someone else..

#11 Jellyblush

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Tell him the truth. If he's a good guy, he'll want the honest information to help him respond to the issue in future, maybe change practices, lower quotes etc.

It's a good piece of feedback for him. He won't mind - he'll be grateful you told him.

#12 tle

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

I'd just tell him the truth

Also, when I'm getting a quote off someone and they tell me that if I get a cheaper quote than theirs they'll beat it I always tell them to just give me their best quote first up because I don't have time to muck around going back and forward with different quotes.

#13 SeaPrincess

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (EssentialBludger @ 28/01/2013, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just tell the truth, you've been burnt and want to go with a bigger company. No need to make anything up.

I agree with this.

#14 CallMeFeral

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (tle @ 28/01/2013, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, when I'm getting a quote off someone and they tell me that if I get a cheaper quote than theirs they'll beat it I always tell them to just give me their best quote first up because I don't have time to muck around going back and forward with different quotes.

That's a good point/idea, I must remember that. I mean if they weren't going to quote their best price to start with, why should they get the business?

My DH got burnt with that once - arranged a real expert from where he worked to give his cousin a quote for an irrigation system as a big favour (they normally only do commercial stuff) - their dodgy guy quoted them about 4 times as much - they went back to him with DH's colleague's quote and he said he'd match it so they gave it to the dodgy guy. Why would you give your business to the guy who tried to rort you 400%, and screw over the guy who was not only honest but an expert in the field???
Anyway DH learned his lesson NOT to put his name on the line for stupid people - even if they are relatives.

#15 laridae

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Tell him you don't like being hassled, so you will go with someone else.

#16 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Tell him you've decided to wait a while for aircon due to financial reasons, but you'll keep him in mind for the future.

#17 Cat People

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Go with the small guy!

It's the small guys that keep those big bastards honest.  If you're worried about install times, etc, ask him for a guarantee.

#18 estherfrog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

My husband is a tradie and if he gives a quote he will either get the job or will hear nothing back. MIt is not rude to not call back, but you can just say that you have gone with another supplier, you don' t need to justify your choice to them. Good luck!

#19 solongsuckers

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

I am in an awkward position like this at the moment. We have two companies that have helped us out both given us quotes. I cant even avoid either of them, but I have to choose which one we will go with.

Not really sure how I am going to approach it!

#20 *-*

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (EssentialBludger @ 28/01/2013, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nothing?

I've never rung back tradespeople to tell them I was going with someone else.

Crap, is that rude? unsure.gif

Agree totally.  Never gotten back to people who weren't the "winner".  Ever.

#21 Frau Farbissina

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (SCARFACE CLAW @ 28/01/2013, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tell him you've decided to wait a while for aircon due to financial reasons, but you'll keep him in mind for the future.

This!

#22 Ducky*Fuzz

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

Better follow up?  We had an airconditioner installed by a one man band. While he was very professional and knew his trade/s, he had given it up a 18 months later in pursuit of something else.

To his credit, he did come and do the necessary repairs for a small charge (as expected - it was out of warranty and he gave his time) but clearly he wouldn't be available for future installations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.