Has anyone built a laundry bench themselves?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 EssentialBludger

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

What materials did you use? Did you use a flat pack type thing or just improvised? I don't really need cupboards (though they would be nice) but I really need a laundry bench! We have such a small space and it really does my head in.

Pics would be great!

#2 kpingitquiet

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

We have a habit of repurposing old kitchens into laundry storage. We've ripped the kitchen out in both houses we've lived in and saved a double cabinet and an overhead to reuse, painting if necessary, and just buying a countertop for it. However, IKEA has some really inexpensive options. A two-door base cabinet, 800mm wide in plain white is only around $160 and a basic white laminate worktop for $60 or so. So, this time around, we're probably going that route.

#3 Gegemite

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

I bought some Antonius uprights and brackets from IKEA and then had shelves made to fit by a cabinet maker. I made a bench top to fit next to my washer (I have a top loader otherwise would have gone over the top of it) and two long narrow shelves to go above that run the length of my laundry. It's made such a difference. I'll try and get a photo tomorrow.

http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/search/?query=antonius

#4 EssentialBludger

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

Thanks! I'll try and take a pic of our tiny laundry tomorrow to see if anyone has any suggestions.

We currently have a top loader but would need a front loader to have any hope of bench space...

#5 Jaffacakes

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

We (well DH) also did the IKEA flatpack option. We used the online (kitchen) planner first to sort out what we needed.

#6 CountryFeral

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

No... but I built a full wall wardrobe this weekend in my bedroom by repurposing 9 flatpacks... I'm so inspired I'm probably going to hit the laundry soon!

#7 Shiny Star

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

There is a pretty simple looking plan for a laundry bench on the Ana White website

#8 stephanu

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

I have plans to one day fix up my laundry, but in the meantime I really needed bench space, so I used an old door we had lying around, cut it to size, sealed the side and positioned it on top of the dryer and washing machine, which are the same height. Cost nothing, took 10 minutes.

My laundry is tiny too, I couldn't possibly fit a proper bench with cabinets.

#9 Shiny Star

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

Not sure if this will work, I've never linked before! .....

http://ana-white.com/2011/01/sausha%E2%80%...dryer-pedestals

#10 bebe12

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

Hi,

We did our laundry using bunning's flatpak.  As our laundry has a very high ceiling so we put in floor shelves, and then doulbe top shelves by cutting out cornice. The height between bench and top shelves is lower than normal but not impossible. I am tall and don't hit head.

Thou these cupboards at top are harder to reach they are great for seasonal items like lightbulbs, some camping gear etc. I just need a small step to reach

#11 countrychic29

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

We did a ikea flatpak, benchtop with dryer & washing machine underneath. 2 x underbench cupboards and a tall cupboard.
I think it cost about $650 for the cupboards and bench. We did tiling and plumbing (into existing pipes) ourselves.

#12 Gegemite

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (Gegemite @ 28/01/2013, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought some Antonius uprights and brackets from IKEA and then had shelves made to fit by a cabinet maker. I made a bench top to fit next to my washer (I have a top loader otherwise would have gone over the top of it) and two long narrow shelves to go above that run the length of my laundry. It's made such a difference. I'll try and get a photo tomorrow.

http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/search/?query=antonius

As promised here is mine (I wish it was still this tidy!!)
The boxes on the top shelf are also Ikea and awesome for sorting junk.

#13 EssentialBludger

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

That's brilliant gegemite! Something like that would be perfect...!

#14 Gegemite

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

It was super easy and not very expensive at all. Good luck!

#15 Rilee's~Mama

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

On my to-do list is revamping the laundry.

My laundry is kinda in the kitchen - kitchen is a long skinny galley type kitchen, laundry down one end. No walls etc to separate.

Currently I have a freestanding laundry tub / cabinet thing, next to that is the front loader with the dryer sitting on top of it. No storage except for under the laundry tub (only room for a few tins of catfood and dry bikkies!). That's it. Directly opposite the laundry stuff is the linen cupboard.

I've bought a long timber bench that I will install, with the washer underneath, will wall mount the dryer to give more bench space, and a small round sink with mixer. Above the sink I'll probably put a couple of small shelves (cupboard will close off the space too much).

All this will be relatively easy to do, just need to see if I can replace the mixer myself or if I'll need a plumber.

Then down the track I'd like to put a wall in the separate the laundry from the kitchen. One Day!

#16 BeYOUtiful

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

We pulled out the kitchen when we moved in here and used 2 of the cupboards above our top loader washing machine.  1 other cupboard we put out on DP's shed wall.

Our laundry is fairly tiny too.  I never use the laundry tub sink (only a soaking bucket inside it) so am thinking about attaching a bench over the top of it and still utilizing the cupboard under the sink.

Will take a pic of laundry shortlly.

Gegemite I love your bench.

#17 belinda1976

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Are you in Sydney?  We used a company that makes laminate benchtops to the measurements we gave them.  The length was almost 3m long and it cost approx $200.  We just picked it up and DH installed it.  We redid our laundry using Ikea cupboards but we thought their benchtops were a little pricey compared to this.

I can't remember the name but if you want it I can dig out my files and try and find the name.

Edited by belinda1976, 30 January 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#18 EssentialBludger

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Thanks but we are in Perth.

Looking at it a bit more, I'm pretty sure we won't be able to do underneath cupboards. It's just too small. Made worse by one useless wall being a sliding door. Then we have a freestanding trough and washing machine on one side, and toilet on the other.

I really like gegemites shelves though. Something like that could work, but would probably mean we would never have room for a dryer, as there's no room anywhere other than wall mounting it.

Stupid effing small laundry. Sometimes I wonder what DP was thinking when he built this house. I has the worst design ever. Most rooms are completely unfunctional.

#19 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (EssentialBludger @ 30/01/2013, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks but we are in Perth.

Looking at it a bit more, I'm pretty sure we won't be able to do underneath cupboards. It's just too small. Made worse by one useless wall being a sliding door. Then we have a freestanding trough and washing machine on one side, and toilet on the other.

I really like gegemites shelves though. Something like that could work, but would probably mean we would never have room for a dryer, as there's no room anywhere other than wall mounting it.

Stupid effing small laundry. Sometimes I wonder what DP was thinking when he built this house. I has the worst design ever. Most rooms are completely unfunctional.

could you change that to a internal cavity sliding door?  That might help.

#20 Gegemite

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

I have my dryer in the garage EB. Saves space in the laundry and doesn't steam up the walls original.gif

#21 EssentialBludger

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (Gegemite @ 30/01/2013, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have my dryer in the garage EB. Saves space in the laundry and doesn't steam up the walls original.gif

Our shed doesn't have power at the moment, it's on the to do list. Not sure DP would let me anyway though, it's his bloody man cave Tounge1.gif

#22 Gegemite

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

Poop!!! He could use it as a coffee table??  wink.gif

#23 Feralishous

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE (YodaTheWrinkledOne @ 30/01/2013, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
could you change that to a internal cavity sliding door?  That might help.

we are thinking of doing this in our laundry

#24 fizzy19

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

Hi I have a sink cabinet and a washing machine next to it then the sliding door and that's it.  Sounds similar to yours.  We wall mounted a dryer above the sink. If I wanted a little  benchtop I would have to get a front loader then maybe I could have a bench and cupboard above.  Next house will definitely have a bigger laundry!

#25 Bissett

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

I'm probably a bit late but google a laminate bench top company in Perth & do as belinda 1976 suggested. You then get to chose your colour & exact measurements

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.