This weeks challenge
Water

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 SW-

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

For this weeks challenge I have chosen water.  I have been sitting here and all I can hear is the rain.

I am always fascinated by the many forms of water, my favourite being the ocean.  

I love the reflections, silky water from long shutter speeds, the way you can capture a water drop with fast shutter speeds, or the macro of a dew drop.

Have fun original.gif

The Rules:
One photo per person which has been taken this week (starting TUESDAY). Everyone is welcome to join in. Competition will start Tuesday with submissions ending the following Monday.

If you wish, please note your rating after your image:
Rating 1 Beginner (just got my camera)
Rating 2 Amateur (learning about settings)
Rating 3 Hobbyist (have a good grasp of the theory)
Rating 4 Semi Pro (improved well beyond when I started)
Rating 5 Pro/serious hobbyist (I'm well experienced and have been doing this for quite a while)

All images must be up by next MONDAY at (9pm EDST, 8pm EST, 7.30pm CST, 6pm WST) for inclusion.

Remember the EB rules state images within posts must be smaller than 500 (wide) x 470 (high) pixels and 100kb.

Challenge History
Delicate  - Silverwattle
Lines (B&W) - LittleC
Architecture - rbat
Open challenge - millie71
Something New - raven74
Bokeh - mummy26
Food - rbat
Portrait - elle-M
Macro/close up - ILBB
Rule of Thirds - mummy26
Vanishing point - rbat
Patterns in nature - Jupiter123
Fun - Silverwattle
Seven - mummy26
Texture - ILBB
At Home - elle-M
Nostalgia - rbat
Reflection - Bryden
Half - Nut
Spring - millie71
Antique - elle-M
Tells a story - Ev
Postcard - raven74
Favourite things - winkwink
Long exposure - rbat
Wings - silverwattle
Sweet - rbat
Light - Skepticaemia
Wild - Mecurial
Moody - BeagleBoy
In the eye of the beholder - cat
Symmetry - JamieLee85
Serenity - winkwink
Out Of Place - Peanut
Water Drop Shot - blue4me
One - Raven74
Black & White Portrait - rbat
Red - Luckyseven
Suggestive - Abbygirl
Mostly Black/Mostly white - PrincessPinkenIt
Autumn - Superman+4Sisters
Capturing Action - Peanut
Black and white perspective - Abbygirl
Shadows - winkwink
Props - Jalex
Numbers - apocketfull

#2 ~Kee~In~Hawaii~

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

Brilliant topic, my favourite (am OBSESSED with surf/wave photography!). Great win too Silverwattle original.gif

#3 winkwink

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Congratulations silverwattle & I love the theme, we certainly have had enough water fall over the past 4 days.

#4 Peanut

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

I'm hoping to get a proper water shot tomorrow, but in the meantime, this is what happens when you don't watch out for sneaky photobombers!   biggrin.gif

WATERBOMBED!

Edited by Peanut, 04 February 2013 - 07:17 AM.

#5 rbat

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Fun shot Teri original.gif

And congratulations silverwattle on your win with that beautiful shell. My week has been crazy - hopefully will get a shot tomorrow. Haven't picked up my camera all week.

#6 mummy26

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

I wasn't going to enter but I took one today. Here's my entry

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28286225@N02/...0/?reuploaded=1

Edited by mummy26, 02 February 2013 - 11:59 PM.

#7 Jjbeanz

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

Here is my effort, got my camera for christmas so playing around with settings

Edited by Jjbeanz, 06 February 2013 - 05:36 PM.

#8 LittleC

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

The water in your waterbomb shot Peanut looks so damn refreshing.

Awesome mummy26, so vibrant! It makes me want to eat a packet of skittles.

Clever idea Jjbeanz!

Edited by LittleC, 03 February 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#9 Bryden

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

This is all I've got for now... Dh is away this week and with the craziness of school starting I've barely had time to pick my camera up.  sad.gif

_MG_1349 ps by Bryden3, on Flickr

Thanks ladies! I'll stick with this one.

Both are of the Bribie Island bridge, just different perspectives. Taken while the kids chased crabs on the sand and I stressed about them either running to the water or me leaving my camera and it getting stolen  tongue.gif wacko.gif   , was a stressful outing!

Teressa

Edited by Bryden, 04 February 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#10 rbat

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Watering can by rbat75, on Flickr

Finally... thought I was never going to get there this week. One thing on top of another at the moment.

#11 LittleC

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Still not sure if this is the one i want to go with. Took quite a few at the Beach yesterday.

Water

#12 Millie71

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

Sunset shoot at the beach tonight. Disappointingly no clouds, so I did some panning.

Momentum by milbs1, on Flickr

#13 tickly_rain

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Beautiful photos so far everyone.

I love the colours in this one, but the pier is what I focus on when I look at it...not the water.  sad.gif

DSC_3587 by tickly_rain, on Flickr

So I'll go with this one instead.

Ripples by tickly_rain, on Flickr

#14 ~Kee~In~Hawaii~

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

Beautiful shots girls! I've just managed to get down to the beach to attempt my first try at mini wave photography. Fairly pleased with my results for a first go. I'm mainly just glad I didn't end up with a camera/water scenario that would make me cry! This is a little wave only about 30cms high.

Water

Edited by ~Kee~In~Hawaii~, 04 February 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#15 LittleC

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

that is beautiful ~Kee~In~Hawaii~, the water looks like glass!

#16 raven74

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Well, I had graaaaand ideas here.  Balloon pop, flash, sound trigger.  It was going to be epic.
It was not. Forgot to buy a battery for my sound trigger.  My speedlight wouldn't talk to the Ste-2 because it was not in it's line of sight and no way to manouvere it...  My backdrop kept falling down as it got wetter...
I said many words that a lady would not utter.
This is the best I got (needs soem editing but...  ).   rolleyes.gif  blush.gif  rant.gif  roll2.gif

b4 by raven:74, on Flickr

Edited by raven74, 04 February 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#17 TopsyTurvy

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Another late entry.

(I was the student who always left her homework to the last minute Tounge1.gif )

Water by Leapyleigh, on Flickr

#18 JaneLane

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

I finally have a working computer after both mine crashed so I thought I would have a play around and enter this week at the last minute.

Here is my entry,  Melting Ice
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blueforme/844.../in/photostream

#19 SW-

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Well girls you have really made it hard for me to pick a winner.  I have decided if I ever win another challenge I am going to pick a topic I don't like!  

Peanut What a great shot, I just love those 3 big water droplets, the colour of the pool is magnificent, makes me want to to take a run up and do a big bomb as well!

mummy26 Effervescence all right!!  wow what a wonderful take on the topic.  I really love this shot, you are very creative.

Jjbeanz Isn't it fun when you get new toys to play with original.gif  Was the plant a frangapani? Great idea to get all those water droplets

Bryden Glad you picked this shot Bryden, it was my favorite out of the two.  There are many things I love about your shot, the lights look awesome, the light reflections on the water decreasing, the shadows.  Beautiful shot.

rbat What a wonderful shot.  Love the softness of the pink bokeh and the way you have captured all those water droplets.  The more I look at your shot the more I expect a little fairy to pop out.

LittleC Wow look at that water rushing off the rocks....just love it!

Millie71 You are very talented, such a stunning beautiful shot.  The colours are absolutely amazing.  Panning is something I am very interested in.  Your shot has inspired me to go and do some more.

tickly_rain How clear is the water...........it looks like paradise.  I have always loved the ripples on the water

~Kee~In~Hawaii I love that you have captured "the green room"  Awesome barrel.  I love how the light reflects off the water.  Really love this shot.

raven74  Sorry Raven but I had a bit of a giggle as you were describing your shot, this image popped into my head of Basil Faulty.  I have never tried anything so adventurous.  I am very impressed at the balloon shape of the water droplets.  You must have been really quick with that trigger!

TopsyTurvy The more I look at your shot, the more I think the water drop looks like a crystal.  Really loving the colours.

blue4me You just scraped in original.gif It was only that I refreshed to check that I saw your entry.  And I am so glad I did.  What a beautiful shot the reflections, bokeh  and the colours are fantastic.

This is really hard, I had quite a few favorites mummy26, Bryden, rbat, millie71, ~Kee~In~Hawaii and blue4me.  
So the winner this week is:

~Kee~In~Hawaii  

You managed to capture the essence of a wave.  Congratulations and well done.

#20 Nora.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

So trying mummy26's idea (not for this challenge). That's awesome original.gif

#21 raven74

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

Great judging SW and well done Kee - great shot biggrin.gif
To add to the very apt Basil reference, the batteries was out in my trigger - I had to bloody pop it and trigger  manually at the same time.  Was hilarious in hindsight... I think.
Look forward to your topic choice Kee!

#22 Peanut

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

Well done Kee!  original.gif

#23 LittleC

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

This was such a great topic.

Congratulations ~Kee~In~Hawaii~!

#24 TopsyTurvy

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

Well deserved win Kee!

#25 ~Kee~In~Hawaii~

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

Oh wow, I've just had to pick myself up off the floor after reading that! I won??

I'm really stoked that this was my first attempt with small wave photography and it turned out so good, I'm glad I decided to take a wander down to the beach this morning now!

Thanks so much for all the encouragement and support, I can see my shots improving each week because of all your guidance.

I had picked a few of you ladies for the win this week, wasn't expecting that I'd have to pick the next topic. Off to have a think ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.