Not insured..asking for handouts
Interviewee in floods

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#1 Mumma3

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

I was watching an interview with a family in the flooded areas in QLD, who spoke of all the new things they had recently acquired (furniture and bikes were mentioned). The interviews asked if they were insured and they said no - then added, so if anyone can help us...... Another man had a business flooded out and also didn't have insurance.

I realise some people genuinely can not afford insurance, but if you can afford to buy new furniture etc, then I think you should also budget for insurance.

Environmental disasters (floods, fires etc) are happening more and more often, and those of us who DO have insurance are paying higher premiums because of it. Many of us have also contributed to flood and fire appeals.

If my home burned down due to an electrical fault, and I was not insured, I would have to suck it up. It is no more my fault than a flood or fire coming through.

I hope this doesn't come across as heartless, because I really do feel for those affected by these events, and can't imagine what it would be like to lose everything. It's just that I don't understand   why so many people not only not insure, but then expect everyone else to give them handouts?

#2 danielle1985

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

While I do agree with you partly, the issue from the last floods is that people COULD NOT ensure. They were considered to high risk... It wasn't through lack of trying. For some the choice was to not insure or leave.

Edited by danielle1985, 29 January 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#3 Sassy Dingo

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Because they got lots of government handouts last floods, they expect the same again.

If you can't afford insurance, you can't afford to have a house.

#4 Expelliarmus

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Did that look like a family that could afford insurance?

I'm serious. I think there are done families for whom insurance is dimy not accessible.

#5 Expelliarmus

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (Sassy Dingo @ 29/01/2013, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because they got lots of government handouts last floods, they expect the same again.

So you live on the street and have no clothes of furniture either?

#6 Awesome101

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

A work collegue didn't renew his house insurance because he "just didn't get around to it" His home was flooded a few years back and he lost alot. My work started collecting money for him and the expectation was high. I didn't put anything in. I struggle to get the money together to pay my insurance every year as the payment is due straight after Christmas but I do it because its the responsible thing to do.

#7 Mama8

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

One lady they interviewed last night was still waiting for insurance claims to be processed for the LAST flood and her house is once again flooded.
She was in her 80s I think.

Lets not be too quick to judge

#8 .Jerry.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

In general I think if you have a house, you should have insurance.
There are exceptions though.
One exception could be those living in flood areas.  Some of them simply cannot get insurance.  Or if they can, it is so hugely expensive it is ridiculous - e.g I hear of one family whose insurance quote was $13000 a year.  Not affordable.

Others cannot afford insurance and cannot sell and still be financially viable as their house are worth far less than the market will pay for a house in a flood zone.

So yes, everyone should be insured... but sometimes it is difficult.

#9 Mumma3

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Did that look like a family that could afford insurance?

I don't think their appearance had anything to do with it,  everyone interview looks wet and exhausted to me.

I am only repeating what they said - that they had just bought new furniture and new bikes etc.

#10 Sassy Dingo

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 29/01/2013, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you live on the street and have no clothes of furniture either?

Or you could you know...rent.

#11 FeralBob!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

You can't tell.  The furniture could be cheap. They could  be in the unenviable position of not being able to get insurance anymore, but equally not being able to sell their house because they couldn't get enough money to buy something else appropriate in a less hazardous area. And for people who say that they shouldn't have bought there, did anyone expect floods of this magnitude either 2 years ago or now?

#12 B.feral3

I think your post is way off OP.

My house does not flood and never will. We are on high ground. Hundreds of people in my post code however flooded in 2008, 2011 and now, well above their floor boards and up to the roof tops.

I have seen my insurance premiums rise from $600 per year with a $100 excess back in 2004 when we first moved here to over $1900 per year and I now how a $1500 excess which actually reduced that premium. It would have been more. When I tried to shop around last renewal period, I found that MOST insurers will not take on any new customers in my post code. My own insurer is also not taking on new business in my post code so I paid that bill quicker than you would believe. ETA: Other quotes I received were for laughable amounts like $6000 a year.

Again, I will never ever flood. I have never once even made a freaking claim!! I NEED insurance though in case my house accidently burns to the ground or someone breaks in an robs/vandalises the place.

I feel sorry for anyone in my town who didn't have insurance pre 2008 but decided to take it out post. If they do find an insurer that will take their business, they will pay through the absolute nose. I don't think home and contents premiums $2000 plus are affordable for the average family to be honest. I am just lucky that we can afford it. (Just.) I am really really scared about what is going to happen to our premiums after this round of flooding though come renewal time. If my bill is any more than about 2.5k a year with maximum possible excess then I think it will be time to call it a day on the contents and just insure the home.

Edited by Bek+3, 29 January 2013 - 07:51 PM.

#13 cinnabubble

QUOTE (Sassy Dingo @ 29/01/2013, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Presumably still uninsured.

#14 4kidlets

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

If the bikes and furniture weren't insured it has nothing to do with owning or renting a house - that stuff is contents insurance, not house insurance. shrug.gif

So you are saying someone struggling financially, renting or owning, shouldnt buy their kids new bikes for christmas?

#15 B.feral3

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (Sassy Dingo @ 29/01/2013, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This thread is really gross.

#16 Chelli

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

Do we know for sure the people interviewed were the home owners or were they renters?

It is feasible they were renting, did not have contents insurance and have just lost everything they owned.

#17 50ftqueenie

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (Bek+3 @ 29/01/2013, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed.  This is a discussion for another time, not when people are still dealing with an emergency situation and a devastating clean up.  Have some effing compassion!

#18 Sassy Dingo

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Contents insurance that I had 4 years ago in Toowong - so presumably very close to one of the areas flooding now was $220 a year.

$4.24 a week that works out to be. I realise that it would have gone up now, but even if it doubled to $10 a week...

I maintain that insurance is essential - I would eat rice for dinner every night to afford my insurance. You can't just leave your biggest asset unprotected.

To the PP who sarcastically suggested that these people shouldn't have bikes and buy their children gifts then if they can't afford insurance....Yes, because this happens and then they have lost everything. Children don't NEED bikes, but they need a bed and school books etc, now they don't even have that...

#19 ~Supernova~

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (Bek+3 @ 29/01/2013, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

+1

And this is coming from someone who has ALWAYS made insurance a must, even as a struggling single parent. Another time maybe, but not now, it's tasteless and crass.

Edited by Mareek, 29 January 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#20 Expelliarmus

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (Sassy Dingo @ 29/01/2013, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And that has nothing to do with losing clothing and furniture.

If they bought insurance, they'd have nothing to insure!!!

Even if they were insured, they'd need handouts quite frankly. Lots of flood victims from 2 years ago STILL haven't settled their claims!!!!

Edited by howdo, 29 January 2013 - 07:46 PM.

#21 JRA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

This thread reminds me of a thread that KK started about fires years ago.

I think it easy to forget that people in these places cannot get insurance.

Having lived in rural area where the "best" land was flood plain, there were various people who lived on the flood plain. They would roll up the carpets etc etc when the flood was due, and the houses were not built in the areas where current was strong.

I think planning has a lot to answer for that houses are allowed be built in such flood prone areas without the people understanding the real impact of it.

#22 purplekitty

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (Sassy Dingo @ 29/01/2013, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Contents insurance that I had 4 years ago in Toowong - so presumably very close to one of the areas flooding now was $220 a year.
I don't think you are listening.
These people may not to be able to buy insurance even in they can afford it.
Their homes and/or contents are uninsurable.

They may be unable to sell their houses or afford to rent elsewhere.
Think about it.

#23 bakesgirls

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Reading the OP just made me feel sad. I hope you are never in the position of being unable to get insurance then to add insult to injury, lose everything you own through an act of nature.

ETA- when we first moved to the area we are in now, it was in the midle of bush fire season. We could not get insurance at all, through anyone. They had put a blanket ban on new policies in the area. The only policies that would cover anyone were pre -existing ones. We were told to call back a few months later to see if the bans had been lifted. Thankfully when we called a few months later as had been suggested, we were able to take out insurance. It was plain luck that nothing had happened to our home in the period between when we could get coverage and when we were refused coverage.

Edited by bakesgirls, 29 January 2013 - 08:33 PM.

#24 Feral timtam

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

You do know you can get a three room furniture bundle from Fantastic Furniture for LESS than what most households pay for a years car insurance? Heck, for what our household pays a year for vehicle insurance you can actually get some pretty nice stuff from Fantastic Furniture!
Depending on the age of the kids those new bikes might only represent $200 or so, money that a even family on welfare can usually find for Christmas presents.

In some areas of QLD the quotes for insurance premiums that include flood cover exceed the cost of a new car, a lot of people can't afford that sort of money. Not when the house they're insuring is worth less than $300 000 thanks to the floods in recent years.

#25 Aquarium

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/racq-ho...6-1226412665616

Really those who say they can't get insurance, they need to reassess as the govt forced insurance companies to offer flood cover in 2012. The insured can opt out with some companies and not with others so people need to look around and buy according to their own circumstances.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.