Suggestions for way to do cot for reflux bubba.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 whatnamenow

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

The doctors want bubs to be laying down at a 45 degree angle, basically sitting up to sleep.  Its been easy with her in the bassinet but now we are moving her to her cot I need some suggestions.  The nurses at the hospital ended up putting her in a rocker in the cot but I dont want to do that.  Any suggestions as to how i acheive this at home?

The main problem is that at 45 degrees and at 11 weeks with barely any head control the slightest movement or wriggle in her middle and her head is sliding down.

Options i have considered are..

A)  a pool noodle cut into half strips to create a barrier to stop her sliding.  I'm concerned though that this would creat a sids risk.

b) foam wedges with a little of the foam cut out to settle her body in a 'rut' of foam.  Can anyone see any issues with this? I would then tuck the foam under the fitted cot sheet.

Any other suggestions?

#2 fizzy19

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hi I would suggest a wedge under one end of the mattress to tip it slightly.  Like you said anything next to the baby would possibly be a sids risk.  Try Clark rubber they can cut to size and my ds sleeps on their foam comfortably ( under the sheet)

#3 roses99

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

For my reflux baby, I went to the chemist and bought these little steps that go under the feet of the cot. I bought a pair for each leg at the head end and it raised the head of the cot sufficiently. I think they only cost a few dollars each, and it meant I could leave her sleeping surface intact (and therefore, as safe as it could be).

#4 hell kitty

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

Either raise the height of the cot by putting something (phone books, bricks etc) under the cot legs at the head end, or put a foam wedge under the mattress (Clark rubber sells them).
I wouldn't be putting anything actually inside the cot (in the sleeping area) due to the SIDS risk, raise the cot itself or the mattress from underneath.

#5 Carmen02

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:24 AM

we put phone books under the feet of the cot to raise in that way..worked out really good.

#6 Apageintime

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:34 AM

Have you looked into the baby wedge. I don't know much about them but theyee essentially triangles of foam to put under the matress. My friends swore by them for her reflux bub!

http://babywedge.com.au/babywedge_prod/index.html

Edited by Apageintime, 30 January 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#7 Peppery

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE (Carmen02 @ 30/01/2013, 07:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we put phone books under the feet of the cot to raise in that way..worked out really good.

Another who suggests this method

#8 WhimsicalDragonfly

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

A speech pathologist or occupational therapist may be able to recommend a baby-safe product to help with this.

#9 whatnamenow

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE (WhimsicalDragonfly @ 30/01/2013, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A speech pathologist or occupational therapist may be able to recommend a baby-safe product to help with this.

We are waiting on our next speechie appointment and the OT at early intervention has just changed over so who knows when we will see her.

The only problem with raising the head of the bed is that she then with a wiggle of the middle slides down. I am sure once she is a little older it might get better but yeah we tried to raising the cot in the hospital and couldnt get the angle high enough and not have her slide down.

#10 HoneyMurcott

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

With the help of Clarke rubber and some sewing we developed our own version of this.

I don't think we got as high as 45degrees - we did use a traditional old 'bouncinette' during the day for that reason but I think the pillow in the cot would have been 35-40 degrees. We dressed DS2 more warmly and used a heater in his room rather than use any cot linen other than a bottom sheet that covered the pillows.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.