cheap front loader recommendations please

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mamaidh

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

My 9 year old top loader has just died, so going to give a front loader a try....BUT can only spend about $600.  I have done a search on here and lots of recommendations for Meile and Asko, but they are out of the equation.  

Have read plenty of online reviews, forums etc but it seems that for every good review, you get a really bad one!  I am contemplating Bocsh (though I understand the cheaper ones are made in Thailand), Samsung or Electrolux...maybe???

Would be grateful if anyone can share their experience please.  Thanks  in advance  original.gif

#2 Fluster

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

I have a 6.5kg Bosch and love it.  The only issue I have with mine is that it draws hot water, it doesn't heat it itself, so you probably don't want to run it while showering in winter.

I used to have a Whirlpool... never, ever, again.  Not only was the wash quality woeful, but I had two warranty claims within 10 months.  The second time I waited almost two months to get the required part.  The helpful words of the company they used for repairs?  'Sue them.  That's the only thing that seems to work these days'.  It gave up the ghost after 14 months and we couldn't have been happier to see the end of it.

#3 sir_mix-a-lot

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

I bought the cheapest front loader that I could (aside from the ones at K-Mart). It was Simpson brand. I'd happily get another Simpson.

#4 anna_garny

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

We've had a Samsung for almost 8 years and it's never missed a beat. Love it, and the 'short, cold' cycle is less than 40 minutes and everything comes out great.

#5 opethmum

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Samsung is a great brand and they are good quality and you can set the temp and most of them do a 15 min quick wash function too.

#6 EssentialBludger

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Dunno about washing machines, but I think my electrolux dishwasher is the best thing since sliced bread. I think they're a pretty reputable brand?

#7 FeralSis

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

I have an electrolux front loader. I love it. It heats its own water. It cost less than $600 about 18 months ago and was recommended by Choice magazine.

I think it is 7 kg size...

#8 melaine

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

I have an LG, and my brother has the same one. It's seven years old - has done 2 kids in nappies, dirty tradie clothes etc and hasn't skipped a beat.

I suspect it's noiser than a Miele but its done its job. I probably will replace it with a Miele when it eventually dies - mainly for noise because it's in a cupboard off our meals area.

#9 FiveAus

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

We've got an LG front loader. A brand that I swore I'd never have, but someone at work was moving overseas and selling their 3 month old washing machine for very cheap. And ours was on its last legs.

The LG hasn't missed a beat. It cleans the clothes a lot better than my old Kleenmaid workhorse did. The only drawback is it emits a high pitched whine while its on..

Edited by FiveAus, 30 January 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#10 Z-girls rock

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

we have one of the Bosch front loaders that we bought for under $600. (we didnt get it from here but there are a few on here to look at): http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/bosch-f...shing-machines/

I realy like it!
yes it is made in Thailand but who cares. probably your car was made there too (or maybe not but... who cares!)

it is quiet, it does a good job. You can chose cold for every cycle if you want. there is a 15 minute quick cycle (which is great because our last front loader only had looooong cycles).
But the mixed load one or the delicate one take about 45 min / 50 mins.

the only thing I dont like is that mine does not beep when it is finished... so I have to remember to check. weird.

Edited by Z-girls rock, 30 January 2013 - 01:30 PM.

#11 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Samsung! Have had mine for eight years without a problem. We bought it an an appliance seconds outlet. It was cheap as the box was torn. At that stage our local council were giving rebates to ratepayers who purchased front loaders as they are water efficient. All up it cost around $350.

#12 R2B2

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

we recently purchased this and love it
http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/buyonline/Sa...asher_WF1752WPC

#13 belindarama

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

My Samsung is great. Very happy with it.  Do not get a Haier one. Ours was piece of crap and dead within 2 years despite the salesman's rave reviews.

#14 ~swan~

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

I have an LG and it's FAB.

The clothes come out fantastically and it's still very gentle. Lots of settings etc. to choose from.

I bargained at (I think) the good guys and it was around $650 in cash.

Here it is.

#15 Mamaidh

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

oh wow thanks everyone...makes my choice even harder now, but great to hear that there are a few good brands in that price range!  I was considering the Samsung that R2B2 recommended or the Bosch.  

Z-dirls rock, doesn't bother me where its made so much, only that the more expensive Bosch are German made so not sure if cheaper ones are comparable, but your model sounds great.

People with 6kg models, does it easily fit 2 queen sheets and 2 plllow cases; or 4 big towels plus bathmat etc?

#16 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (Old Grey Mare @ 30/01/2013, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Samsung! Have had mine for eight years without a problem. We bought it an an appliance seconds outlet. It was cheap as the box was torn. At that stage our local council were giving rebates to ratepayers who purchased front loaders as they are water efficient. All up it cost around $350.

Forgot to add that mine plays a little tune when it is finished washing!

#17 Phascogale

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

You can pick up a lower spec Samsung for around the $500 mark (this is for a 7.5kg washer).  We just bought an LG and it cleans really well.  We got the 7kg and paid a bit over $600 at the good guys.  And it plays a tune at the end to let us know it's finished!

Choice did recommended the samsungs.  But when you read through the ratings there wasn't a huge difference between them.

With the sizing.  What you will probably find is that the outside diameters are all very similar but the difference is the drum size.  So you'll probably find that you can get a 7kg washer for not much more (if any) than the price of a 6kg.  Will hopefully mean less wash loads for you and therefore less water and electricity costs.

#18 ednaboo

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

I also have the 6.5kg Bosch.  It's been great so far.  I previously had a Whirlpool and it was a POC.

#19 Moneypenny2014

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

We have a Bosch but it was circa $1200.
I have heard lots of great reviews about LG and this was our second choice if the Bosch we bought hadnt been available.

#20 Juki

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

I have a Bosch at the moment and it is awful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.