Bye bye Tim Tams!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BellaMoja

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Ok so this is it.... i feel so disgusted in myself - just ate a whole packet of tim tams!!! i am working from home today so there is no one around to watch me stuff my face but honestly they don't taste good and i feel sick now....

How can some people just have a natural sense of self control?..... i am one of those people who is extreme - either losing weight or putting it on... im so embarrassed - i am almost 31 and don't want to set a bad example for my daughter (almost 2.5yo) as I don't want food to be an issue for her....  that is my motivation so maybe that is the answer as she is a big motivator in my life - i quit smoking when i fell pregnant with her and haven't touched a cigarette since.

If anyone reads this and has overcome yo yo dieting behavior please tell me how you have managed to do this? i don't want to be stick thin but am not feeling at all like myself at this weight.... not as happy as usual, not as confident and I hardly can fit into any of my clothes and i always wear cardigans even on stinking hot days due to my awful tuck shop lady arms.

And I do know how to do it as I am a weight loss expert but unfortunately also a weight find expert! It really isnt rocket science I guess I just need to DO IT.

#2 mini mac

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Been there. Definitely done that.

Weight watchers. Counselling. Binge eating is a serious problem. You need to know the trigger before you can stop it.... ie do you eat from boredom, habit, sadness, happiness, rewards etc etc

Oh, and go for a walk. It will help you feel better, physically and mentally.

Good luck wink.gif

#3 Froger

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

IMO it is natural and normal to eat a whole packet of Tim Tams! Yes, unfortunately as humans we will always want to eat lots of food when it is available (or at least most of us will), because this is how we have evolved to eat. Eat when stuff is available today, in case it isn't available tomorrow. However sadly for all of us we now have food available all the time.

How I stopped binge eating was to completely rethink what I ate. I cut out sugar and grains completely and went "low carb high fat" (google that for more information). I found I didn't crave food anymore like I used to - I guess my blood sugar is stable now I don't have the ups and downs that come with eating a diet high in carbs. I have regained self control. I do have to make sure I do not buy the carb loaded stuff in the first place though (otherwise I will eat it!)

I have lost over 30kgs and kept it off completely (and easily) for it must be more than a year now, maybe almost 2 years (I have lost track of the time, as I didn't have to consciously diet once I altered my diet).

I also find walking and swimming to be helpful. I don't do heaps, just walking the kids to and from school, and bit of a stroll on weekends when I have the time. Some swimming at the local pool when I get a chance. But it all helps me feel better.

Edited by SarahM72, 30 January 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#4 credence

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

I've been there too. Who knows why we eat a whole pack of tim-tams? I doubt it's got anything to do with hunger.

The only way to overcome it is to somehow get to a point where you only eat when you're hungry and when you eat, you only eat until you're full.

But how do you get to that point?

I don't have the answer (also I believe the answer is different for every person). But you could try eating more mindfully. Be more aware of hunger by letting yourself actually get hungry. Try to eat slowly and purposefully so that you can sense when you've had enough.

If you find yourself reaching for a snack, ask yourself if you're hungry, bored or perhaps stressed.

Personally, I have quit sugar and it has really helped. I know it's not for everyone but I have found that I'm just not that hungry between meals, so I don't snack any more. I also feel like my portions are naturally smaller.

#5 BellaMoja

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (Mini Mac @ 30/01/2013, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Been there. Definitely done that.

Weight watchers. Counselling. Binge eating is a serious problem. You need to know the trigger before you can stop it.... ie do you eat from boredom, habit, sadness, happiness, rewards etc etc

Oh, and go for a walk. It will help you feel better, physically and mentally.

Good luck wink.gif

thanks - I have been to see a psychologist for another issue and binge eating stems from that problem. I was doing so well!!! i got down to 64 kilos... sad.gif

I will def start going for walks when i get the feeling to munch though.

It sounds like you have overcome it - good for you!

#6 BellaMoja

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (SarahM72 @ 30/01/2013, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IMO it is natural and normal to eat a whole packet of Tim Tams! Yes, unfortunately as humans we will always want to eat lots of food when it is available (or at least most of us will), because this is how we have evolved to eat. Eat when stuff is available today, in case it isn't available tomorrow. However sadly for all of us we now have food available all the time.

How I stopped binge eating was to completely rethink what I ate. I cut out sugar and grains completely and went "low carb high fat" (google that for more information). I found I didn't crave food anymore like I used to - I guess my blood sugar is stable now I don't have the ups and downs that come with eating a diet high in carbs. I have regained self control. I do have to make sure I buy the carb loaded stuff in the first place though (otherwise I will eat it!)

I have lost over 30kgs and kept it off completely (and easily) for it must be more than a year now, maybe almost 2 years (I have lost track of the time, as I didn't have to consciously diet once I altered my diet).

I also find walking and swimming to be helpful. I don't do heaps, just walking the kids to and from school, and bit of a stroll on weekends when I have the time. Some swimming at the local pool when I get a chance. But it all helps me feel better.

Firstly a big congratulations to you! 30kgs is quite a feat! I agree sugar and grains need to go - its how i lost a lot of weight after i gave birth to my DD - I did a version of paleo and god did it make me feel great - body and mind - i was really never thinking about food and just ate really clean and did a bit of exercise... oh and congrats on keeping it off which is the big test. I think I will go back to this way of eating - i knew it felt natural and right to eat this way.

#7 BellaMoja

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (credence @ 30/01/2013, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been there too. Who knows why we eat a whole pack of tim-tams? I doubt it's got anything to do with hunger.

The only way to overcome it is to somehow get to a point where you only eat when you're hungry and when you eat, you only eat until you're full.

But how do you get to that point?

I don't have the answer (also I believe the answer is different for every person). But you could try eating more mindfully. Be more aware of hunger by letting yourself actually get hungry. Try to eat slowly and purposefully so that you can sense when you've had enough.

If you find yourself reaching for a snack, ask yourself if you're hungry, bored or perhaps stressed.

Personally, I have quit sugar and it has really helped. I know it's not for everyone but I have found that I'm just not that hungry between meals, so I don't snack any more. I also feel like my portions are naturally smaller.

Thanks for the great tips Credence- i believe sugar is evil and for someone like me it has to go COMPLETELY - cant do moderation as it only makes me crave it more.

#8 KBM

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Personally, I find that feeling good about myself by doing exercise gives me two things:-

1.  The will power to refuse or to limit the consumption of 'naughties' and
2. The ability to allow myself to indulge in these items (without guilt) knowing that I have done/will do some really good exercise.

If you generally eat healthily, do moderate exercise then and indulgance or two should be allowed.

Its the limiting or denying oneself thats sets us up for failure, we see certain food as treats and normal food (veggies, lean meat etc) as boring.

Quitting sugar - good on you all tthumbs.gif  but I would not know how to do it!

#9 raone

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

*WARNING DON"T READ IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE EATING TIM TAMS*

When I heard they possible had Palm oil in them I could actually taste it/ feel it.
Dunno if I actually did or it was in my head but it turned me off them completely lol!

( I was one who could eat a whole packet!)

#10 raone

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Oh and just to add I don't bring any junk into my house with groceries. So if I want it, i either have to go to the shop again or bake something. This stops the majority of my cravings and if not I had one indulgence that fortnight which I think is fine. Good luck biggrin.gif

#11 Wigglemama

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

I hate Tim Tams, so have no problem with never touching them but give me a big bag of chocolate bullets (have to be the Fyna brand or whatever that brand is called now) and I will be gorging on them with no resistance.

I stopped buying them, plain and simple, as well as other naughty treats I couldn't resist pigging out on. I started Weight Watchers and I started walking every day. I lost 8 kilos within six months.

#12 soulmama

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Don't buy them. There is no reason why one must have Tim tams or other sugary snacks in the house. It's pretty simple.

#13 cinnabubble

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (soulmama @ 30/01/2013, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't buy them. There is no reason why one must have Tim tams or other sugary snacks in the house. It's pretty simple.

Thank god you're here to solve the problem.

#14 BellaMoja

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (soulmama @ 30/01/2013, 05:54 PM)
15285470[/url]']

Lol Cinnabubble!!

#15 Jjbeanz

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

The only thing that has stopped me is cutting out sugar and most carbs, allowing myself 1 day a week to have a treat that I feel like. It's the only way I have been able to stop cravings.  I don't buy junk food much at all now because if its in the cupboard I'm more likely to give in. Good luck

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.