Adriano Zumbo macaron mix

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Missmarymack

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

I saw this in the supermarket today. Has anyone tried it? I've made macarons from scratch before so I know how fiddly they can be but is the packet mix just as tough? Could I manage to make it with my DD who is obsessed with macarons after being served some wooden ones at her little friends play 'cafe'?

#2 newkie

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

We made the Donna Hay (I think?) packet a while ago with much success, so I grabbed a box of the Zumbo ones right before Christmas. We ended up needing them for Christmas Day as we had more people coming than we thought, so I don't know if it was the stress we (read: DH) was under with other food prep or not, but these were harder and didn't turn out as nice. And they were about $1-2 more for the box.

I will probably try them again at some stage, or maybe I might just get DH to do them from scratch instead original.gif

#3 bunny2

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

On the topic of packet mixes - the Donna Hay brownie mix is great!  My sister made some over Christmas and I loved it.  

I will have to try the Donna Hay macaron mix too.

#4 Coffeegirl

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

The Zumbo chocolate brownies are evil!

Evil I say!!    I had to ban myself from buying them again.  

I'd already banned myself from buying Donna Hay so had to try his!

#5 dorkalicious

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

I've made both the Zumbo macaron mixes- the Salted Caramel ones were awesome

#6 Illiterati

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

Aldi had a macaron mix that I thought was better than the Zumbo one and much cheaper. Haven't tried Donna Hay.

#7 Shadowess

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

I made the passionfruit ones and they turned out pretty good. I haven't had any success with making them from scratch myself. I'll try the salted caramel ones soon.

#8 cabbagepatch

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

tbh - they tasted like a packet mix sad.gif I was really disappointed with the flavour (very artificial) but they were really easy to make...

#9 ~TSC~

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Salted caramel was nice but I was horrified by the artificial colour when mixing

#10 aprilrain

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (cabbagepatch @ 30/01/2013, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
tbh - they tasted like a packet mix sad.gif I was really disappointed with the flavour (very artificial) but they were really easy to make...

I thought they had that artificial flavour that 'hangs at the back of your mouth'. I was disappointed.

Donna Hay ones seem to have disappeared from my Woollies.

Anyone made them from scratch?

#11 lucy-lu

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

QUOTE (SlowEmotionReplay @ 30/01/2013, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aldi had a macaron mix that I thought was better than the Zumbo one and much cheaper. Haven't tried Donna Hay.

I second this, Aldi ones were Devine and cheap, wish I bought more packs.

Zumbo was very $$$ and didn't turn out...

#12 Mrs.Bee

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (aprilrain @ 30/01/2013, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought they had that artificial flavour that 'hangs at the back of your mouth'. I was disappointed.

Donna Hay ones seem to have disappeared from my Woollies.

Anyone made them from scratch?

I too was disapointed with the Zumbo ones due to the flavour. nothing beats the macarons that you can buy in his stores, the flavour in those are amazing.

I am a bit obsessed with macarons and i have tried multiple times to make them from scratch. I have tried using different recipes and flavours. They turn out 'ok' but not great and they are very fiddily and time consuming to make. Alot of messing around to get a product that is 'ok'.

For anyone who lives (or has a visit to Newcastle NSW) there is a cafe called 'The Letter Q' and they have excellent macarons!!!! (the best in newcastle i think)

#13 josh2003

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

My husband recently bought me a box from http://www.cacao.com.au/macarons.

And now I'm obsessed!

I tried the Donna Hay ones, but I didn't really like the flavour, although I prefer more fruity types like raspberry rather than chocolate. I haven't tried the AZ ones yet...

I'm thinking about doing a class on how to make them from scratch! http://www.cae.edu.au/web/?course=DHV394

#14 Missmarymack

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Thankyou everyone - sounds like they might be worth a go to stop the daughter pestering!

QUOTE (lucy-lu @ 31/01/2013, 07:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I second this, Aldi ones were Devine and cheap, wish I bought more packs.

Do they still have them or were they a limited thing? I love Aldi original.gif

#15 Missmarymack

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

Anyone know about the Aldi macaron mix?

#16 FiveAus

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

My best friend bought me the Zumbo mix, and also got me a signed copy of his book. The macaron recipes in it are amazing, but most of them have at least one ingredient you'd never get in Coles or Woolies. But I love the book anyway (and I'm insanely jealous of my friend for meeting him!) and I love my friend for thinking of me when she heard he was in the building next door to the seminar she was attending.

#17 Mrs_BG

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

The Aldi ones were soooo good but were a special buy.  I bought three packs and wish I bought more.

#18 ednaboo

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

I hav a pack of the Aldi ones and a pack of the Donna Hay ones, and based on the ingredients list I believe they are the same item reboxed.  The Aldi ones were so cheap though - I think they were about $4 a box?  I really should get around to making them.  I love macarons.  DH bought me some recently from La Belle Miette.  They were very posh!

Edited by ednaboo, 03 February 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#19 Meeche

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

I've bought them all. I thought the Aldi ones were disgusting. I made both Zumbo ones and they turned out differently. I loved the salted caramel ones. I have made them from scratch and don't find the method or ingredients that difficult but they are tempermental buggers and sometimes they work and sometimes they dont!
The Aldi ones were a one off. Like most of their stuff. I bought 6 boxes and took back 5. I really hated them. My most favourite ones ever are from the Lindt cafe... SOOOO delicious. Had Zumbo and thought they were ok. Had the new french ones from Laduree in Sydney city and they were also lovely but $$$$!!!

#20 Illiterati

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Did you make the chocolate or vanilla Aldi macarons? The vanilla ones were not as good as the chocolate ones which I thought were great for the little effort involved and minimal cost. I sifted the almond meal mixture before adding as well. None of the packet mixes will be as good as shop bought. I have managed on occasion to make some better than what I have bought in cafes and food stores. But it has been a hard road with lots of failures but a pretty cool recipe to master.

If you make them from scratch I recommend using the Italian meringue method (where you add cooked sugar syrup rather than uncooked sugar to the egg whites) and also not only sift but also process your almond meal and icing sugar to a fine powder consistency.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.