Looking for info
Pets section

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MintyBiscuit

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

A relative is looking at getting a puggle, and although I've mentioned that they generally come from puppy farms and if she's really determined to get one she should get a rescue, she's apparently found a "reputable" place that doesn't deal with puppy farms.
Am I right in thinking this is BS she's being told, or is there actually any possibility of buying a new cross breed like this without it involving a puppy farm? And has anyone with pug experience got any info on the breathing issues? She doesn't want a purebred due to the breathing issues, but I thought I might have read something somewhere on the purebred breeders working on that issue?
Thanks original.gif

#2 *Ker*

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

If it is a cross, it's either a puppy farm or a BYB. Neither is good.

Pug breeders are working to eradicate the breathing issues. A cross bred dog is MORE LIKELY to have the breathing problems because they don't test for anything, and don't use quality stock to start with.

#3 MintyBiscuit

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

Thanks Ker, this is what I thought was the case. I don't like my chances of convincing her, but I figure it can't hurt to try.

#4 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

If she goes ahead, remind her to invest in pet insurance - she's going to need it.

And she should enrol in dog training asap. Both beagles and pugs are smart - and can be very, very mischevious. An untrained one is a nightmare, and untrained cross, would similarly be an unpredictable nightmare.

And I second what Ker says, there are NO ETHICAL OR REGISTERED (by state Canine Councils) Puggle breeders. She's doing this wilfully and doesn't much care.

You could send her a link to Oscar's Law if you think that might help. If you know 'where' the source of the pup is, you could also send her info about it - most of the puppy mills are known and have profiles on the net (not exactly putting them in the most positive of lights, but hey, shoe fits and all).

#5 MintyBiscuit

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

Thanks Spikey, I'll keep all of that in mind. She's a bit of a know it all so of course she's correct in thinking a cross will avoid the breathing issues  rolleyes.gif At this stage I've tried to gently explain about the lack of genetic testing in cross breeds and the lack of knowledge of bloodline. I think my next plan of attack will be on the training front - they live in a duplex with a small courtyard, so I'm assuming it's going to be an inside dog, and from the small amount of research I did when looking at beagles I can't see that being a good mix.

I feel bad because a few years ago I would've been on board with her, but reading so much on here about puppy mills has opened my eyes and made me completely change my stance on cross breeds. I don't want to make her feel awful, but I hate the idea of these things being further supported.

#6 *Ker*

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

Beagles are gorgeous...but OMG are they hard work!!! Need a lot of exercise and training, constant stimulation...once they get a scent they're gone.

Since she wants an inside dog, remind her that pugs shed like there is no tomorrow. Beagles are heavy shedders too. So she will most likely end up with a naughty, untrained, hair machine who has all sorts of health problems.

Also, tell her about all the health problems pugs can have. And she's more likely to cop a pup with genetic problems from buying a cross. I'll speak to her about puppy mills if she wants. I could make her toes curl with the stories of the one I saw. There's an account of it on this forum if you think she'd read it.

You've learned what to avoid. And that's why we go on and on about it. Eventually, some people WILL listen. And that makes it worth it.

#7 erindiv

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

My family had a Beagle when I was a kid and in addition to the constant shedding was the SMELL. No matter how much we bathed our Beagle (or what we washed her with) she always stunk like a stinky dog! Most hounds do.

A friend of DBF just bought a beagle pup for his girlfriend and it is methodically destroying their house chewing everything as all pups do, and already trying to dig out of their ultra-secure-oh-crap-the-puppy-got-out-again yard. They are Houdini dogs.

I am SO sick of hearing about 'reputable' BYB and 'reputable' puppy farms.  rant.gif

#8 noi'mnot

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

I'm in a similar position, OP. My friend is going to get a Cavoodle. From what she refers to as a "reputable breeder" that she found through her local pet shop. I tell her and tell her about the issues with crossbreeds, the issues with puppy farms, etc, and she just smiles blankly at me. She honestly doesn't care, and it makes me sick, and deep down inside it makes me respect her a little less if she's that dismissive of her future dog's health (let alone its parents and siblings).

So I don't have any advice to give, but I do have a lot of sympathy for you and what you're trying to do in this situation. It sucks.

#9 Oriental lily

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

I think unfortunately there is going to be always a healthy percentage of people who don't give a feck about where there pup comes from.

They hear what they want to hear. Nothing more.

Does not help that Don Burke is rather respected in the general community and he thinks these designer breeds and their 'hybrid vigour' is the best thing since sliced bred! rolleyes.gif .

Op give her the info then leave her to it.

You can lead a horse to water............ And all that jazz.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.