Getting from Airport to New York hotels

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 coopsmum

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

We are travelling to New York in April, we have two children 9 and 6 plus our luggage (not sure how much yet!!).  What would be the best way to get from the airport to our hotel.  Our hotel is on 75th Street.

Our travel agent said we would have to take two taxis as one wouldn't fit our luggage.  I don't really like the thought of having to separate from my hubby in a unfamiliar city.  I don't think shuttles are recommended for New York.

TIA

Lisa

#2 baking101

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Hmm. When DH and I travelled to NYC we took trains/subway from the airport to hotels. I would not recommend this for you! I wouldn't do this again, unless travelling very light. Quite easy but plenty of stairs to climb!

Due to an early flight out, we took a booked car from the hotel to the airport. I think it cost us $65 (incl. tip). I think this would be an ok idea. It was an SUV (v. large) and we swam in it. Depending on luggage, this would work. Perhaps contact your hotel to organise?

#3 blackcat20

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Shuttles are fine. There are a few around. Ive used Supershuttle; they arent awesome in NY but they do the job pretty cheaply. A few of the other girls around here could recommend other companies.

#4 Apageintime

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

I've used super shuttle too, not perfect but did the job fine. Took 6 of us and luggage without drama.

#5 EBeditor

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

Town cars/private transport are not that expensive in NYC. What airport are you flying in to?

#6 .Jerry.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

My first trip I used a shuttle.  Took ages.

Last time (DP, me and DD aged 7) we used Dial7 car service.

It was fabulous.  We used them four times that trip.  (were in NYC twice)

It cost only $10-$20 more than a cab and was great service.  I booked online then when you get to the airport you just phone the number and quote your booking.  Our driver was waiting nearby and was at the door in 5 minutes.  It was great as it was eve of Thanksgiving and the taxi queue was huge.  The driver was great and chatted on the way, pointing out landmarks.  Car was huge and comfy.  Plenty of luggage space.

I highly recommend them.  They were very reliable for us. original.gif

#7 VioletPurple

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

We took a Cab it was $45 and fitted our luggage fine our children were the same age as yours at the time of travel.

#8 Peanut

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

We used Dial7 in September last year, booked a Town Car which took us (family of 4, kids 5 & 7 plus our luggage) to our hotel on West 81st Street from JFK.  They were very efficient, clean and not much more than a taxi ride.  

Here's their website.

#9 cuddlebud

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

We also used Dial 7 to get to and from the airport. They were extremely efficient and it turned out to be a good move as dh left his wallet in the car with all our holiday money (dufus) and we got it back!

#10 New_display_name

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

We used taxis when arriving in NYC and I wouldn't reccomend it.

There were 2A & 2C so 7 suitcases and a large bag and 4 carry on's we ended up in two seperate cabs but a lot of cabs refused to take even 1A & 1C with half the luggage.

On the way back the hotel booked us a car it was a huge SUV fit all of us and luggage and cost $65 + tip. I tried calling around other places and they were quiting $200 + just to get to the airport.

As I was in such a flap i didn't think to get the name or company of the driver sad.gif

#11 Mellie Kate

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

i have heard great things about dial7 and i have then booked for september,give their website a look

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.