First Time Dad To Be! Newborn Holiday?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 thomen

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

Hi All,
my beautiful wife is due on May 21st our wedding anniversary is the 23rd and her birthday is in the beginning of June. I'd love to arrange a special getaway to show her how proud I am of her once the baby comes and just as a birthday present surprise!

Just wondering if anyone had good suggestions for somewhere a few hours outside of sydney to go with the newborn? is flying out of the question? I really just want to give her an amazing holiday. Budget can be anything really i.e. all around australia.

Thanks for the help!
Tom

#2 Steggles

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

Honestly I wouldn't book anything that early. She will still be recovering and bleeding and learning to feed. Also first babies are often late!

#3 Lishyfips

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

Taking tiny babies on holiday is absolutely exhausting, I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. Show your wife you love her by taking her out for a flash dinner close to home! Or mind the baby so she can go out by herself. Or both! Or maybe book a holiday for when the baby is older, tell her on her birthday - give your wife something to look forward to.
(I took a one month old on holiday, I was too tired to enjoy it and the baby could sense the different environment and hardly slept at all. Knackering for everyone. Holidays are much easier when babies are a bit older.)

#4 The 7 Dwarfs

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

I have taken 2 newborns overseas, one at 3 weeks, one at 5 weeks. I wouldn't do it any earlier than that though for a few reasons. Could have a C-section and you'd want to make sure the wound has healed and there are no complications. Even the healthiest baby inside can have unforseen problems during and soon after birth which could lead to a SCN admission such as aspiration pneumonia, jaundice etc etc. You'd also need to get the birth certificate and passport sorted, which can be done, but probably not in less than 2 weeks.

First time we went to Bali, was great, could book a nice resort, had someone to cook, clean, do our washing, room service etc etc and it was all very affordable.

Second time we went to the Philippines, which was pretty much the same as above.

If we ever have another child, I'd seriously look at doing the same again too. It's a great break and very refreshing to have a week or two break to do nothing but relax at such a very busy time of your life.

As for when to book. I'd take the EDD, add 10 days, then 4 weeks and I think then you'd be pretty safe. Or just wait until after the birth and book.

Edited by The 7 Dwarfs, 31 January 2013 - 09:14 AM.

#5 MrsLexiK

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

Hi Thomen, I am due 2nd May if my DH planned somewhere for us to go on a holiday in the middle of may to celebrate mothers day or something I think I would thump him.  I'd probably look at giving her a holiday before the baby comes, say within the next few weeks or even taking advantage of the easter public holidays (though this will add $$ to the trip)

#6 Harmonica

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

We went away with our kids when they were about 8 weeks old - I really enjoyed doing it at this time when we had done the initial settling in period and then to have a week of with my husband and family just relaxing on holidays.

Loved it so much with my first child, we did the same thing when number 2 came along.

#7 Tobias'smum

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

i think maybe arrange something for before the baby to help her relax or wait for a while after like pp you will still be getting the hang of things.

I know i really enjoyed even going to get pampered at hair dresser getting my nails done - my MIL came with me so if i need to feed i could then i handed her my son while i got pampered.

#8 Therese

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Could you maybe do something a little early, just the two of you ? A few weeks after the birth she may be fine to travel or it may be her worst nightmare.

#9 Who is me

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

I really wouldn't have wanted to go anywhere that early. Plus I had c sections, so was still recovering from that. Add in trying to get breastfeeding sorted, bleeding and babies that don't know night from day, and I just wanted to be in my own space while I tried to get my head around it all.

It's a lovely gesture though. I went on a really nice trip to the mountains at about 35 weeks pregnant with DS. It was at a lovely luxury resort, but still close enough to sydney if need be. Maybe you could consider a pre baby trip away? Somewhere with room service so she doesn't have to do anything.

Otherwise, DH bought me a 6 month massage voucher after having baby number 2 (one massage a month for 6 months). Now THAT was a gift that I have truly appreciated!

#10 Zephie Chugger

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

If money is not issue I would book a holiday  for a belated gift to say you remembered the dates.(maybe for around 12 weeks) At the same time hire a chef and someone to come for a hour or two for a few weeks to help with the house and take time off to be just "family"

#11 Who is me

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Forgot to add, I stayed at Lillianfels, which was lovely. I've also recently stayed at the newly refurbished Fairmont resort, which was also really nice. Both of these places are in Leura. They have facilities for swimming, spa treatments etc, and easy walking paths nearby. Very nice for a relaxing few days before baby comes. Otherwise I'd wait till baby is at least 8 weeks.

#12 Jenferal

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

I would do a "babymoon" before the baby comes and i wouldn't spring it on her, but I hate surprises, so maybe she'd be ok lol.
After the birth, as mentioned, she might be bleeding, sore, full of stitches in all sorts of places, struggling with breastfeeding and POSSIBLY struggling with her hormones and PND.
Also, family will be wanting to visit and see the baby.

But it's a lovely thing that you're thinking of original.gif

#13 Ice Queen

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Lovely thought but it is a terrible idea.  Sorry I know you are trying!  We went away with DS at 4wo and it was so tiring.

#14 Eirinn

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

You are so sweet! I agree with the others, I wouldn't want to go away with a newborn - but this is the perfect time to be booking a holiday for next summer!

#15 Lady Lovely Locks

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

I think it is a fantastic thing to want to do for the new mother of your child! however the practicality of it may interfere with the enjoyment. As another PP suggested, hiring some help, be it cleaning, cooking or a combination of the two would relieve alot of pressure for her and give her moreconfidence in her mothering skills and time for all of you to spend as a new family getting to know what and how to handle everything. It would have been a god send for us!!!

#16 Cranky Kitten

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Lovely idea but as PP have mentioned, the practicalities are quite different. She may well have various uncomfortable physical effects still (bleeding, swollen feet, sore boobs etc) as well as being completely exhausted with a baby that has night and day around the wrong way. Or she could even still be pregnant and worried about going anywhere too far from home.

Alternatives

a) pre-baby getaway. Try for at least 6 weeks before the due date and try to avoid more than a couple of hours travel - sitting in a car for long periods is devilishly uncomfortable and most airlines won't let you fly past then either.

b) holiday at home. Take some time off work, hire or arrange for someone to come cook/clean for you both and just spend time together, take some day trips if you feel up to it but don't stress if you don't.

c) Book the holiday for later on, at least 8 weeks after the birth. By then you should know if your baby is a good traveller that will adapt to sleeping in new environments or whilst on the move or not, feeding should be well established  and baby may even have worked out that day time is for being up and night time is for sleeping. She'll most likely have stopped bleeding or it would be very light and recovered somewhat from the physical side of birth.

Good luck, what ever you decide original.gif

#17 Mummzy

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Hi,

I took my first son on a plane at 15 days old. He just passed being allowed on a plane. He was great, he slept the entire time except when he wanted a feed and change. He was formula fed.

We then also drove him from Darwin to the Brisbane when he was 17 days old. I was exhausted and over tired. I also was in a lot of pain as I had to have over 20 stitches from tearing badly! It was painful for me to sit for a while.

My second son was rushed to NICU and was there for over a week. We never expected him to be sick as I was full term. As soon as we got let out of NICU we had paediatrician appointments, doctor appointments and the midwife come and do house visits every 2 days for 3 weeks.

So you have to plan for the unplanned. I would wait till the baby is a few months old and settled in a routine.

All I wanted to do was sit and relax and enjoy my newborn at home.

#18 rainycat

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

A lovely thought but the last thing i would want to do would be out of my enviroment with a newborn baby.
I can't actually remember that time very well as I was so tired and one of my babies screamed a lot.
Pp have said they did and loved it, i think it would very much depend on how your baby was at that stage.  Every baby is different and everyone copes differently. That is something that you cannot predict.
Very thoughtful of you though!

#19 erindiv

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

You are indeed lovely for thinking of it but the chances of your DW feeling like a holiday at that stage are slim to nil. She will still be recovering from the birth, still bleeding, still trying to get breastfeeding properly established, possibly up several times a night as your baby won't have their day/night rhythm established yet, if she has a CS she'll still be sore.

A few PP have suggested a pre-baby holiday. I was surprised with a pre-baby holiday when pregnant with DD and I hated it. I already felt fat and exhausted constantly, I didn't want to sit in the car for hours, wander around looking at stuff, sleep in an uncomfortable holiday accommodation bed, etc. I just wanted to be safe and comfortable at home.

I'd plan a holiday for much, much later. A beach holiday next Summer, perhaps. December or January. By then your baby will be old enough to enjoy looking around at the beach, playing in the sand, splashing in the water and so on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.