• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 IsolaBella

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Maybe Lizze should consider this too...

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/elizabeth...0130-2dl3s.html

#2 RedBob

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

As someone pointed out, if she doesn't it's a ringing vote of no confidence in Prince Charles, lol!

#3 bakesgirls

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (WingBob @ 31/01/2013, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As someone pointed out, if she doesn't it's a ringing vote of no confidence in Prince Charles, lol!

I think that's exactly why some members of the public believe she hasn't done it as yet.

Edited by bakesgirls, 31 January 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#4 Country (deci)Mel

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

There is no tradition of abdication due to age in the House of Windsor.. 'Our Liz' is a deeply spiritual woman who took her vows at coronation very seriously, she is also still bearing the wounds that the abdication of her Uncle (the reason she is on the throne at all) left.

She isn't going to abdicate, and it is nothing to do with Prince Charles and her opinion of his suitability for the job.

Queen Beatrice and the House of Orange have a tradition of age related abdication... she is not 'setting a precedent' she is following one set by her own mother.

#5 bakesgirls

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Realistically, I think Elizabeth will remain queen until she either passes away, or comes to a time where is is unable to attend to her royal duties. Until then she sees it as her duty to remain in the position she is in.

I hope they show the coronation in the Netherlands here. I wouldn't mind watching that original.gif

#6 opethmum

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

I would not even contemplate this. I think that the Queen has every right to sit on the throne until she dies. It is not a reflection on Charles in anyway shape or form. She made a promise and she is sticking to it, perhaps her example of keeping a promise should be admired not shoved back in her face just because the Dutch Queen has had enough and wants to step back and spend her days happily in retirement.
I really hope that this rhetoric about the Queen dies down and that we can appreciate her life service to us.
Charles also made a promise too be her servant and liege man and he is keeping his promise and that should be admired too and should be a ringing endorsement that he not some poor usurper impatient to take the throne.

#7 CupOfCoffee

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE (bakesgirls @ 31/01/2013, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope they show the coronation in the Netherlands here. I wouldn't mind watching that original.gif

I would also love to see it.  My parents are Dutch and I know how much they adore Queen Beatrix.

#8 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

How's the Dutch prince who was in the accident? I haven't read any recent reports on him, I hope he's ok......

#9 Country (deci)Mel

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (CupOfCoffee @ 31/01/2013, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would also love to see it.  My parents are Dutch and I know how much they adore Queen Beatrix.

She visited Tasmania for the Able Tasman commemorations several years ago - an elderly friend of my mother's (normally very, very sensible) got utterly star struck!  Mum was still teasing her about it months later!

#10 bakesgirls

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (Lucretia Borgia @ 31/01/2013, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How's the Dutch prince who was in the accident? I haven't read any recent reports on him, I hope he's ok......

Last I read, he had suffered massive brain damage and was still in a coma, it is unsure if he will ever wake up. It's been almost a year now. What a horrendous time for his family sad.gif

#11 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Very sad.

I like the Dutch royal family, they seem fun and relatively down to earth....

#12 Sif

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Interesting article - though very poorly executed (Sheehan needs a refresher course in article writing).

I think it's 'old news' that the Queen doesn't have a lot of confidence in Charles' ability run things...

#13 AbbottProofFence

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

I like the Dutch tradition of abdicating. Allows them to enjoy the twilight years of their life with less stress and also means that the coronation of a new King or Queen is not associated with the death of a monarch/parent. Me and DH honeymooned in Europe and were in the Netherlands when Willem and Maxima were married and they seemed a very down to earth couple from everything on TV.  

But I'm secretly glad it's not a thing in the Windsor house. Not sure how I feel about King Chuck  ph34r.gif

#14 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

I quite like that both Royal Houses have distinct traditions.

I wouldn't want either set of Royals to become like the other.

I like that the Dutch get to retire and enjoy that - although I rather think its a working retirement anyway, no-one is going to treat them less like a Queen out of respect, notwithstanding the retirement.

I also like the way that the British see it as a job for life. The Queen Mother (also known as Queen Elizabeth) was also a Queen until her death. She just wasn't the reigning Monarch as that belonged to her daughter.

I wish Queen Elizabeth II a long and healthy life, and hope she's with us as long as her mother was. Its nothing to do with Charles, its everything to do with what an amazing job the Queen has done while on the throne.

#15 elizabethany

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

It has long been known that QE2 believes it is a job for life, and will never step down, as that is breaking her vows of service.  It has absolutely nothing to do with Charles.

Personally, I hope she stays, she is the best thing that has happened to the monarchy in a very long time.

#16 Keepleft

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

Windsor; Charles won't be king, William will be so.

#17 EsmeLennox

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 31/01/2013, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is no tradition of abdication due to age in the House of Windsor.. 'Our Liz' is a deeply spiritual woman who took her vows at coronation very seriously, she is also still bearing the wounds that the abdication of her Uncle (the reason she is on the throne at all) left.

She isn't going to abdicate, and it is nothing to do with Prince Charles and her opinion of his suitability for the job.

Queen Beatrice and the House of Orange have a tradition of age related abdication... she is not 'setting a precedent' she is following one set by her own mother.

Yes.

Dreadfully written article, also with a very narrow view of the what the Queen did as a young woman.

There is no history of monarchs of England abdicating for age reasons at all, they tend to rule until they die (or until they were overthrown historically) with the exception of  Edward VIII (who also did not abdicate for age reasons). There is also no history of 'skipping generations' and I do think Charles will be king if for no other reason than to allow his son to be married, enjoy his career and raise his family without the pressure of being king as well.

Why should Queen Elizabeth stand down? I wonder if this would even be raised if there was a man on the throne of England?

Edited by Jemstar, 03 February 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#18 Lyn29

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Edited by bye, 29 March 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#19 *LucyE*

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

What a poorly written article.

If the Queen stays on until she is 90 it will be a vote of no-confidence in her eldest son, invite infirmity into the image of the monarchy, and confirm a sense of insecurity around the royal succession

As PPs have mentioned, it has little to do with Prince Charles or her opinion of his abilities.  The Queen has a strong sense of duty, one of which is to serve as Queen for the term of her natural life.

The public image of the monarchy is greater than any one person.  It is about the whole family (for better or worse).  An aging monarch doesn't necessarily conjure images of weakness in the idea of a monarchy.  As a whole, I think the success of her long reign actually adds strength and stability to the image of the monarchy.

And as for security of succession?  She has an heir and plenty of spares.  There is nearly 3 generations of direct heirs to secure the line of succession.  I can not see any issues with the security of succession.

I say all this as a staunch republican to boot.  This article is really grasping at straws to undermine the monarchy.

#20 FlutterbyBlue

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 31/01/2013, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This times however many it will take to convince you.  In general, The House of Windsor do NOT abdicate (I am trying to forget about Edward and Mrs Simpson).

#21 Bam1

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

I hope King's Day is as much fun as Queen's Day!

#22 Freddie'sMum

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

I read that article and thought what a load of .........

The Queen will never abdicate.

She made a vow to God and has dedicated her entire life to the service of her people.

It has absolutely nothing to Prince Charles - he has been Prince of Wales since he was 21 years old.  I doubt William and Kate would want the Queen to abdicate as it will move him / them further up the line of succession - right when they are becoming new parents.

#23 Lyn29

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Edited by bye, 29 March 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#24 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (Lyn630 @ 12/02/2013, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG - was he listening?  blink.gif

biggrin.gif

can you say something similar about Tony Abbott resigning from politics...?

EFS

Edited by Lucretia Borgia, 12 February 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#25 Peanut

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (Lyn630 @ 12/02/2013, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG - was he listening?  blink.gif

biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.