BBQ for 15 people- ideas please

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 purpleblackqueen

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

OK,

Next weekend is the anniversary of DH's death, so a few of our close mates are coming up for the night. I am doing a BBQ dinner.

I will be catering for 15 people

I am after ideas please

#2 TopsyTurvy

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

8 skin free chicken breasts.  Butterfly and cut in half.  Marinate in honey soy or a satay marinade and cook on the BBQ!  Because they are thin pieces of chicken they cook super fast (over a high heat) and are very yummy.

Good quality sausages X 30

Corn on the cob x 8  (again chop on half) cooked on the BBQ.

Potato salad
Garden style or Greek salad
A pasta or rice salad

Bread & butter

Soft drinks in bottles

BYO booze

Dessert - cake & fruit platter

#3 9ferals

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Great ideas above - I'll just add a new salad that I made recently. It's very yummy and easy to make ahead of time (toss the cauliflower in the pan at the last minute if you want it warm, or just make it earlier and serve at room temp).

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/20317/warm+cauliflower+salad

I hope it goes well, it's great that you will have some close friends with you on a difficult day.

#4 aztecblue

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

We are having a BBQ for approx 30 ppl next weekend (DS's birthday). To save DH having to spend hours on the BBQ, we are going to only do sausages on the BBQ. We are having:-

Sausages - a few different varieties

6 BBQ chickens bought from the chicken shop, cut up.

2 x Lasagnas

2-3 Potato bakes

Garden salad

Rocket and Parmesan salad

Pasta salad

Coleslaw

Bread/breadrolls

Chips & lollies for the kiddies.

Soft drinks (BYO alcohol)

Birthday cake

Edited by mumto1boy, 31 January 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#5 Jembo

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Not quite a BBQ but we did this last weekend with a large group and I would definately do it again as it was so easy and good for hot weather

I cooked a leg of lamb and a pork roast in the webber in the morning.

We had that cold with salad, coleslaw, potato, bread rolls.

We all commented how it would be easier than a BBQ as no one had to stand there and cook it and as everything had been done earlier, all I did was stick it all on the table and it would have cost the same if I had of brought a big packet of sausages and some meat (though we got our lamb from the farm for nothing).  For me it was a winner as I got to sit down more than I normally would do when we do a BBQ for a heap of people, as I had done it all earlier in the day.

Edited by Jembo, 31 January 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#6 Danzie

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Marinate a whole heap of chicken thigh fillets in Char Sui sauce ( Chinese BBQ sauce, available most big supermarkets ).  This has never failed, so easy, tastes delicious and people rave about it and ask what's on it.

By the way, thinking of you at this reflective time, you have achieved a great deal in the past 12 months.

Cheers,
Danzie

Edited by Danzie, 31 January 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#7 Ice Queen

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

My latest BBQ favourite is Tandoori chicken.  Buy a jar of tandoori paste, mix half t paste, half yogurt and marinate chicken thighs for a day.  Just have a bowl of yogurt to serve with it.

Yum.

#8 Beancat

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Do as much prepared stuff as you can so you are not cooking all night and can spend time with your guests.  Especiall if it is you doing all of this on your own sad.gif

I would consider avoiding a bbq for this reason.  What about salads, cold chicken (bought from your local chicken shop and they will cut them up for you), potato bake, lasagne and a piece of roast pork or beef?  Put it all on a buffet with disposable plates and cutlery, minimal clean up then too.

#9 cb2

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Any of the above as all are great suggestions!
A few more ideas:
chicken wings or drumsticks marinated or plain
if you BBQ has a spit roast component then get a lamb and serve with rolls/pita bread/ salad

Potato Bake
Cauliflower cheese

The above can be made or marinated the day before less time round the BBQ and more time to speak with your guests.
Dessert: Pavlova, choc balls, choc ripple cake, fruit, again easy and not too time consuming
Wishing you all the best at this difficult time and may the night be filled with beautiful memories xx

#10 NSG

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (Ehill @ 31/01/2013, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My latest BBQ favourite is Tandoori chicken.  Buy a jar of tandoori paste, mix half t paste, half yogurt and marinate chicken thighs for a day.  Just have a bowl of yogurt to serve with it.

Yum.

Wow! Yum! Definitely trying that....

OP, I hope your friends help you through what must be a difficult day.....

I would also suggest baked potatoes (have sour cream and cheese nearby) as they are sooooo easy and a salad.

For starters try a large piece of brie (cut it in half length ways and put sundried tomatoes and basil in the middle (like a sandwich). Whack it in the oven for 5 minutes and serve with fresh bread or biscuits.

#11 elmo_mum

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

hamburgers
chicken wings

salads - i ask people to bring one each

same as deserts...

ie - get x people to bring a salad, x people to bring desert....

bread

#12 Juki

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

To save time you could do lasagna in the slow cooker if you have one in the morning. Prepare a big garden salad and a potato salad after that. For the meat I would do chciken tenders marinated (they have been on special at Woolies at the same price of full breasts lately) and sausages. For dessert I would just do some frozen that can be heated in the oven.

#13 niggles

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

The last time I had to feed that many people I bought 4 French sticks and split them open. Filled with rocket, swiss cheese, chicken (I cut this into small pieces the night before and had it waiting in the fridge) and a herb and mustard mayo.

Then I cut the sticks into roll sixed chucks, popped each one in a paper napkin and arranged them all on large platters.

Something like that with lots of finger food (perhaps some mini quiches, antipasto, cheese platter, arancini and the link) and a really yummy dessert would probably be fine. And it's low effort and looks inviting.

Plus there is no washing up. wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.