Recycling electrical cords?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bjk76

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

I put a lamp on the nature strip for hard rubbish and someone came along and removed the cord, presumably to get the copper (and anything else?) out and sell it. I have a few other electrical cords (attached to electrical items) which were going to go to my council's next e-waste collection, plus other loose cords which the council said they wouldn't take. So, I was wondering if I could remove the copper myself and sell it, but I'm not sure who to? I've had a bit of a look online and can't seem to find anywhere which buys it off you. Any ideas?

#2 countrymel

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Scrap metal/metal recyclers

They will be in the phone book..

Don't get your hopes up for making a killing though, copper price is less than $4 a pound.

#3 bjk76

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Thanks, Countrymel, I'll look into it. I'd heard that copper prices were high at the moment and that people had been stealing copper cable from train lines as a result. You're right though, that at $4 a pound (kilo?) it wouldn't be worth my time. I may just end up donating it to a recycling place. Some people must be pretty desperate though, if they're going to the trouble of 'harvesting' from hard rubbish.

#4 erindiv

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (bjk76 @ 31/01/2013, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, Countrymel, I'll look into it. I'd heard that copper prices were high at the moment and that people had been stealing copper cable from train lines as a result. You're right though, that at $4 a pound (kilo?) it wouldn't be worth my time. I may just end up donating it to a recycling place. Some people must be pretty desperate though, if they're going to the trouble of 'harvesting' from hard rubbish.

That was a few years back when the Bird's Nest was being built for the Olympics.

#5 countrymel

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (bjk76 @ 31/01/2013, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some people must be pretty desperate though, if they're going to the trouble of 'harvesting' from hard rubbish.

Some people gather recyclables as a 'hobby' - if you are picking up a bit here and a bit there every day it will eventually add up.

My Dad used to have to clean up a picnic area many years ago that was owned by his employer, on the weekends it was a notorious 'party spot' and he would have dozens of aluminium cans to dispose of.  
He took them to the local recycling place (it was on the way to the tip) and over the course of a year just threw the money in an old leather bag.. the bag fell of the wall one December and he counted up the change - there was enough to buy my mother a beautiful chain for Christmas!

It was great as it was a total surprise (unlike normally as they shared all their finances).

Maybe your cord pincher is slowly building up a little stash to buy their wife a surprise too!

#6 Bluenomi

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

I suspect it is more likely they took the cord for a bit of home electrical work. Taking it from someone is cheaper than buying a new cord for something that's busted.

#7 bjk76

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Countrymel, that's a lovely thing for your dad to do - saving up the recycling money to buy her a necklace!

I found the recent article (Dec 2012) which said that the price of copper is high and people are stealing it from train lines:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-11/rail...7s-gold/4421356

I found a metal recycling company not far from where I am in Melbourne, so I might go and check it out. I've got some other random bits of metal which it sounds like they might be interested in!

#8 ~*Twilight~Zone*~

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

My dad used to sell scrap metal. He had to strip everything, separate it etc.

A large ute tray full of metal would only fetch him about $500 then he had to get rid of all the bits he stripped to get the metal.

Lots of work for very little money.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.