Kobo & Kindle / Amazon account compatibility

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 If You Say So

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

Hi knowledgable people,

My husband was given a Kobo Touch ereader today for his birthday. I have had a kindle for a fair while and therefore have an amazon account with some books on it he would like to read.

Before I take the Kobo out of its box, can someone tell me if it is possible to link the Kobo to my amazon account so he can get the already purchased books on it. And if not, where do you buy the kobo books from?

TIA
Tracey

#2 Henndigo

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

No, you can't link the kindle books to the Kobo - Amazon make their ebooks in a format that can only be read by the Kindle ereader. The Kobo reads the Epub format, which is a generic format across the ebook industry.

If you decide to keep the Kobo, he can get books from the following:

Kobo books
Google Play Books
Books on Board
Fishpond
Bookworld

Some of these stores such as Kobo Books and Books on Board offer specials periodically such as 30 - 40% off.  Google for coupon codes before purchasing to see if there are any offers open.

Also have him check out his local library - many libraries now lend out ebooks in Epub formats for free via their websites.  Our local library happens to have an excellent collection but not all public libraries may be of the same quality.

He would either download these books via the wifi or via his PC using Adobe Editions which can be downloaded for free.

Edited by Henndigo, 31 January 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#3 If You Say So

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for all that info Henndigo. I'll see what he wants to do. I'll have to check out our library too as that would be great to be able to borrow.

#4 katniss

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Calibre is an awesome free program which converts ebooks.

#5 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Another vote for calibre to convert ebooks to different formats.  You may need to remove the DRM on books you have bought - you need to install the plugins to do that in calibre.  And after you've done that, share your books like crazy between your devices.  original.gif

calibre-plugins-the-simplest-option-for-removing-most-ebook-drm/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.