Call center harassment

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Pompol

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

We are being bombarded with calls from an OS call center with a private number, looking for someone we'd never heard of.

I've lost count of how many calls we've had, but it would have to be well over 40 since Monday, including some during the wee hours Monday night (the phone has been off the hook overnight ever since, and we're still waking up to voicemails each day).

They phone, ask for <insert name>, I tell them they have the wrong number, and they get quite pushy and obviously don't believe me - I assume it's regarding a debt. When DH answered the phone one time, the man on the other end basically accused him of lying about his identify and was quite aggressive with him. The thing is we've had this number for years and I've never heard of this name until this week, so it's a bit of a mystery.

I can't unplug the phone any more than I have been, I work partly from home and contractors and colleagues know to try me here if I don't answer the office phone, plus the fact that we're rural and my mobile phone is so patchy at home that family/friends generally don't bother ringing me on it.

I have explained politely, explained with anger (at 3am), been inconvenient, been pleading. I've even had one helpful lady  who assured me she was deleting our number from the database, we've still had calls since. If I take the call, and hang up straight away, they ring back straight away. It is maddening.

What can I do? Can I actually ring the police (I've threatened to)? Does anyone know if Telstra can do anything with the number blocked?

I don't want to change the number, it would be such a pain, but then again this just can't go on.

#2 Caseymay

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

When they ring and begin to speak to you I would ask to speak to their manager. Before you ask to speak to the manager make sure you get the name of the person you are speaking to, the name of the company they are representing and the phone number of the company.

If they refuse to transfer you to the manager I would hang up and call the company directly myself. If you do speak to anyone and they promise to take your number off the database ask them for a job receipt number and keep it for your records. Then if they do call again give them the job receipt and they shouldn't question it.

Does any of that make sense?

#3 caitiri

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

We had an issue with an electronic calling device (no people) so not sure if its the same but I think if you ring telstra they can log a complaint and they ask you to log the nuisance calls once you've proved a pattern they can do something but you have to ring and complain first they don't take into account the calls before your complaint.

Ours stopped after a couple of weeks so we never had to go any further but it worth a call

#4 erindiv

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

The problem with trying to get these calls blocked is they often use VOIP and don't stay blocked for long.

Are you on the Do Not Call register? Not that it means much, I got MORE telemarketer calls after going on the register than before rant.gif

#5 greypink

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

My husband went through the same thing but on his mobile and it was so frustrating. They would ring every day at all hours and as he used his mobile for work he couldn't just switch it off. In his case they were looking for someone with the same last name. They refused to say who they were calling from or give any details but he managed to work out they were some kind of collections company.
The police couldn't do anything because they weren't threatening calls so he just had to change his number. I know that's a big pain though sad.gif

#6 lexington

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Try this route.

http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/adv...nwelcome-calls/

I am not sure what will happen.
Can you change your home phone number? Sorry to hear that you are getting harrassed!

Edited by lexington, 31 January 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#7 Pompol

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (greypink @ 31/01/2013, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They refused to say who they were calling from or give any details but he managed to work out they were some kind of collections company.

Argh I forgot to say this part, they refuse to tell me the name of their company or who they represent. I tried to speak with a manager yesterday and they put me on hold for ten minutes, at which point I had a  tantrum and hung up.

What I haven't done is tried dialing the number left on my voicemail. So I'll let the next call go to voicemail and get it then call THEM and see if I can get some sense that way.

We are on the DND register ! I have told the callers this, I'm not sure it means much to them.

The Telstra page doesn't seem to give an answer if you can't get the number of the person calling but thanks anyway !

#8 lunariviera

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

The do not call register only applies in Australia unfortunately. All the marketers and scammers that call me are calling from o/s :

#9 Gembac8019

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Next time they start getting agro just blow a whistle hard into the phone:-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.