Help! 14 mth old taking at least an hour to go to sleep at night

5 replies to this topic

#1 squirrel10

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Hi allMy 14 mth old DD can self settle but lately she is taking a minimum of an hour to get to sleep at night. She's not crying consistently during this time - just occasionally sqwarking and calling out, babbling, talking to herself etc. I think she's probably overtired but not sure what to do to fix it as she's transitioning from two sleeps to one.
At the moment she sleeps through the night and wakes up at around 6.30. After that I put her back back to bed at 10am where she sleeps for a minimum of 2 hours. By about 3pm she's ready for another short nap but resists it in her cot so ends up being in the car. We then put her to bed for the evening at 7pm for the night and the fun begins!
We've tried only letting her have one sleep from 10-12.30-ish but by 5pm she's hyper and will still take ages to go to sleep.
We've tried putting her to bed later but it doesn't make much difference.
We've also tried putting her to bed earlier with the same result.
Maybe it's just a phase but it's driving us insane at the moment as the entire evening is spent going in and out of her room trying to settle her! Tonight she has been awake in her cot for 2 hours!
What is your bub's routine?

Edited by squirrel10, 31 January 2013 - 08:17 PM.

#2 tenar

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Have you tried a later day sleep?

My DD1 transitioned to one sleep aged 13 months (and at that point I wished I'd nudged her thataway sooner, as it was so much easier).  DD2 was younger, maybe 11 months, I forget.    I always went for an after-lunch day sleep (so around 12.30 or 1pm) rather than a morning one, as we were so often out at various activities during the mornings.

These days, DD2 (now 18 months, has been in this routine for several months now) wakes about 6, has her nap about 12.30 or 1, for a couple of hours, then goes down about 7.30 and sleeps the night (if you call waking every hour for a feed "sleeping", though recently she has made dramatic improvements in that regard).

Seems to me that if your DD is awake from 6.30am to 10am (3.5 hours), then from 12-3 (3 hours), then from 4-7 (3 hours), then it's no wonder she doesn't want to go to sleep at 7.  Most babies only need about 12 or 13 hours sleep in total for the day by that age, don't they?  I know mine have needed less than that.  No way would my kids have slept that early if they had only been awake for 9 or so hours total during the day.

As an aside, things may improve as she becomes more mobile and can tire herself out more physically.  

Good luck!

Edited by tenar, 31 January 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#3 mandala

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

I think it's part of the 2-1 transition. DS is the same at the moment - can't make it through the morning to only have one nap, struggles to get a second nap. He's either overtired by bedtime or not tired enough (on the days that he gets a second nap).

I don't go in at all unless he's upset. He'll often be awake for 90 minutes, just talking to his teddy. I figure that if he needs the sleep, he'll fall asleep, and in the meantime the quiet time in his cot is relaxing and restful.

#4 tick

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

One day sleep is the way to go.  Move it forward 20 mins every day until it's in the middle of the day and you've got two roughly equal periods of awake time.  You might need to bring bedtime forward a little too for a while.  It'll take a couple of weeks of her being ratty but she'll get used to it and everything will get back on track.

#5 ShortAndStout

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Agreed, mine has just been through this. On days where he has a late afternoon nap he will talk for an hour or so before going to sleep. He has slowly moved to having one nap starting at 11:30-12:30ish depending on what we are doing. He might seem tired at 10, but if I read him a book quietly and make sure he has a snack around then he can make it till after lunch to nap.

He can end up exhausted in the afternoon if he only has a short nap, so will have an earlier bedtime (closer to 6 than 7). He's been doing this a lot lately, but then has never been the world's best napper  wink.gif

#6 niggles

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

It's a killer transition. We're doing it too, but lately he's refusing the second nap (and only napping for an hour in the morning) despite being exhausted and so it's grizzle grizzle while we try to cook, grizzle at dinner because he's too tired to eat, happy in the bath and then grizzle grizzle because he's overtired at bedtime.  Babies. nno.gif

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.