WDYT is the best thing to wear for a family photo shoot?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Always amazed!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

ok were getting some family photos done in a studio next week.

WHAT DO WE WEAR!

We are a family of 6.

we have done the jeans and white tops before so want something new..

Fairly casual but dressy..

I have a perfect white dress for one of my girls

What would your color suggestions be for the rest of us?

#2 katiebear26

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

try natural colours that go well together so none of you clash, and photos in black and white / sepia look good.

Also, no emblems or brand names if you can help it, simple pictures are ok but you don't want 'PUMPKIN PATCH'  or similar on your lifetime memories... :-)

#3 Always amazed!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

Yes was thinking plain clothing .. no patters ect.

so maybe black white and what other color?

Edited by seeingstraight, 31 January 2013 - 08:39 PM.

#4 Escapin

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

all denim of course...

#5 babatjie

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

I'm not a fan of white or too plain. Something colourful/bright. Complementing not matching. If they have a special piece of clothing, with a lovely memory attached it's nice to capture it. I'm not sure of the ages of your kids, but I love Oobi on younger children for photos. So bright and colourful.

#6 WithSprinkles

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

I'm not a huge fan of matchy-matchy clothing for family photo shoots. I think as long as you're all wearing colours that complement each other it will look good.
Are you on Pinterest? There are lots of ideas on there.. Otherwise try googling images of family photos to see what you like.

I'd suggest steering clear of stuff that will go out of fashion (e.g. Neon) & wearing stuff with logos or patterns.

#7 jules77

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Last family photos we had (which turned out really nicely), we wore shade of blue, bone, grey and white.
I wore jeans and a white, lacy sleeveless top, DH wore a navy polo and bone cotton casual trousers, DS1 wore a light blue shirt and greyish trousers and DS2 wore a light blue and white shirt and grey trousers.

None of our clothes matched (ie were the same colour or same style or pattern) or were overly patterned. They did compliment each other thiugh. What helped was laying all the outfits on my bed and seeing what went best together.

#8 kazlou

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

What ever they feel the best wearing - that's what its about, capturing the moment.

Don't look staged, my DH, me and the kids had some 'prof' shots done at his uni grad and they are the worst photos of us because everyone is dressed up....

and it cost a freaking fortune

#9 podg

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

We had a white dress with red and blue accents to start from. A red dress for another girl, red skirt and white T for another, Dad had a blue/multi check shirt and jeans, Mum had black skirt and white T with a red pair of shoes. I think they look good.

I've seen the '3 colour plus POP' rule in a few places - choose 3 colours to base wardrobes on, at least one being neutral, and consider an accent of another colour (pair of shoes? Hat?) for interest.

Go with something that won't clash too much with your decor...

There are lots of examples around if you google.

#10 kpingitquiet

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Check out a few of these for inspiration:
http://www.antsmagazine.com/photography-2/...amily-pictures/
http://www.antsmagazine.com/photography-2/...ly-photographs/

#11 Superman+4sisters

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

Many photographers have some tips on their websites.

I've heard not to use red, as it's very hard to get the shades to match.

Choose a palette or range of complementary colours - I agree with laying outfits together to check they don't clash

Have fun!

#12 kpingitquiet

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Oh, and we've only done one portrait set, so far. But husband did the jeans/white shirt combo. I had on a very simple navy dress with a brown belt, and some chunky but blue & brown jewelry. Kiddo had a gorgeous white dress with blue trim that matched her eyes. I think we avoided looking too uniform, especially as our outfits were different levels of formality.

#13 kazlou

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

Quote: Go with something that won't clash too much with your decor...

But what if my family don't fit in with my decor?????

#14 Always amazed!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

ok was thinking of putting the kids in what they wore for their day care photos

Then dh in black pants/shirt

me in white 50 style dress black with white music notes and black shrug

#15 kazlou

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

I think your kids look absolutely beautiful, so I would not be worried about what they are wearing.  Perhaps let them choose their outfits - capture this moment.

Its not about perfection

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.