Sleeping with mommy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Torismom63

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:03 AM

I have a 5 year old who will not sleep in her own bed!!! I feel responsible for the situation so i guess that's why I haven't pushed the issue too hard. Now, i'm to the point where i'm not getting enough rest because i am constantly moving her around..she's a terrible sleeper! My husband works at night so it's just the two of us. When my step-kids visits, she sleep with them. She tells me she can not go to sleep in the bed alone. I really don't know what to do. I've created a monster!! Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to get her back into her own bed!!!!!!?  sad.gif

#2 Always amazed!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

my 5 1/2 ds still comes to bed with us.. normally between 12-2am.

We started a sticker chart for him which worked for 2 nights..
Im lucky as he is easy to sleep with doesnt move around ect..

No real advice just letting you know your not alone!

#3 ekbaby

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

Could she sleep on her own mattress on the floor in your room? (or a toddler bed, sleeping bag etc... something where she is not in a room on her own but you have your own sleep space). I know quite a few 5 yr olds who still don't like to sleep alone- I'm not expecting my 4.5 yr old to be ready by then- I think it's easier if they have a sibling they can share with.

#4 myboyz

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

Sounds like my ds 7....... It works for our house, ,means more sleep for all. It won't last for ever I guess so that's why I just go with it.
Op could you try a mattress on the floor next to your bed so you dd is still in your room but not invading your bed space?
Just a thought.......good luck.

#5 *Zen*

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

I was this kid from age 4-7. My mums solution was to bunk me in on my brothers trundle bed. It worked original.gif I just hated sleeping by myself.
So I'd suggest a mattress on the floor near your bed

#6 ekbaby

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Other ideas:
- A night light in her room, and/or from the hallway to your room
- Open door policy- she starts the night in her room, with the understanding that if she is upset or scared later on she is allowed to sneak into your room- might make her feel more confident knowing that help is there if she needs it
- can you stay with her until she goes to sleep at night then get back up ?
- explain the problem to her (she wants to feel safe at night but when she sleeps in your bed you can't sleep properly, making you a tired and grumpy mum). What ideas does she have to make things work? Sometimes kids have surprising suggestions.
- some kids like white noise, like radio on softly, music etc, makes them feel less alone
- a baby monitor so she knows that if she calls you you can hear
- are your rooms far apart? If she's down the other end of the house and rejigging things so that she is just next door is an option, that might help

I don't think things like rewards/punishments are as effective as dealing with this issue compared to some other childhood issues, because (IMO) it's usually not so much an issue of discipline/child being "naughty" as the child being scared or worried (say, compared to the problem of trying to teach a 5yo to clean up their room).

#7 Fillyjonk

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

I slept on a stretcher bed in my parents room until I was four (I didn't have my own room until my dad rearranged all the walls in the house). For many years after that I used to go into my parents room and sleep on a matress next to the bed - I still remember it clearly. I am not sure what age I stopped at, but there was never any fuss made and I did eventually grow out of it of my own accord.

#8 EBeditor

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

My 5 y.o still wanders in to our room overnight. If he won't settle back in bed we put a mattress on the floor.

#9 MadreLoca

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

My sideways sleeping upside down foot on my neck 5 yr old (& on extra-fun nights, the 3 yr old joined us) slept with me every night for 8.5 months. Theoretically he shared a room with his brother but he's only just gone back into his own bed a week ago. The catalyst? A new character doona cover.

Edited by MadreLoca, 01 February 2013 - 09:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.