Wedding Outfit for 9yo boy
advice please

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HotFeral

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

We have a family wedding to attend soon. I have outfits for everyone except 9yo DS.

The wedding invitation says dress code is formal, starting at 4.00pm in a garden followed by
a buffet dinner. He has a very new pair of black jeans that look dark enough to be pants and
new school shoes. I was wondering what kind of shirt to buy him. I don't intend to buy him a jacket,
as he is not in the wedding party and he is only 9. I looked for long sleeved shirts yesterday but could find only white (he might look like a short waiter?), light green (he'd look like he's in Woolies uniform), or large coloured checks in green, red or blue patterns (too casual?)

What do you think would be a suitable outfit?
Thanks in advance

Edited by HotPotato, 01 February 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#2 MrsLexiK

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Firstly not jeans I don't care if they are dark or black, the dress code is stated as formal jeans even on a 9 yr old boy are NOT formal. He is also going to the reception by the sound of things so even a bigger no no to wear jeans. (and people wonder why kids are not invited to weddings)

Now it is likely that they mean semi formal as opposed to formal (which is more your tails, white shirt, white tie top hat) but even then jeans are not considered semi formal and I would not be dressing my child in them to wear to a wedding

I would invest in a long sleeved shirt and proper pants.  (or hire them from somewhere, if I was hiring I would most probably hire a jacket) lime or white is fine. Noting with short sleeves, the checks to me sounds to casual.  Basically he would be dressed how I expect my DH to be dressed (which would be suit, shirt, and usually a tie) however for a child I would be willing to not buy the tie and compromise on a jacket if I had to.

#3 CallMeFeral

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'd actually say the jeans are ok, if they are dark enough to look like pants. It's not optimal, but it's a lot to buy pants if they won't use them. Does he have any long pants in another colour that aren't jeans?
Anyway, if not, I think any solid coloured long sleeve shirt tucked in with a tie should be formal enough.

#4 dolcengabbana

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

I picked up some gorgeous pin stripe slacks from Myer with a white shirt and tie (I just shortened a mans tie for him) and a wasit coat and he wore his standard fedora hat which he loves. He looked incredibly suave and smart.

#5 Feralmummacat

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

When we took DS1 at 4 to a formal wedding he wore black pants and a white and blue striped shirt with black shoes. None of the other children wore jeans either.

Here is a link to dress pants at Target for $20.30 which is a reasonable price.

http://shop.target.com.au/p/boys-dress-pants/P50898374

Target also has this striped shirt but it is solid out online, you may have some luck in store

http://shop.target.com.au/p/boy-s-shirt-ph...allow/P52723377

The other long sleeve shirts were $15.40 so I would assume the shirt would be the same.

I do not think you need a tie or a jacket for a 9 year old and the school shoes will be fine.

I got late last year a blue shirt and tie set from Big W for approximately $19 for a school event. That was really nice if you do want a tie option.

#6 luke's mummu

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

I would look in op shops etc for a pair of black pants rather than wear anything that might look like jeans.

#7 elizabethany

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

He should not wear jeans, and needs a tie or jacket or waistcoat, along with a plain white or blue or pinstripe longsleeve shirt.  The linked target ones are fine.

I had a formal wedding last month and my 2 year old had a white shirt, tie and black pants (not jeans).  The only concession was that his shoes were black canvas, not leather.

#8 HotFeral

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

Thanks everyone for your input, esp for the links mummacat. Unfortunately our Target didn't have those. Ended up buying a black, purple and white striped long sleeved shirt and took a photo to the bride to check the outfit is okay. She loves it. I may have described the pants incorrectly, they are lovely fabric but just more of a jeans cut to me. Apparently, a cousin is wearing blue jeans, blue long sleeved shirt and brand new converses and she is happy with that too on a child so no bridezilla there. Anyway, she has a special relationship with DS so glad she is happy and thanks again for everyone's thoughts.

#9 unicycle

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

I would think black jeans for a 9 yo would be fine, but then, I am a strange one who thinks miniature-size formal clothing on children looks creepy, so I shouldn't even be posting here. Oops.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.