What is the biggest risk/gamble you've ever taken?
...and did it pay off.

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 sarah2045

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

I am dreaming about buying an acreage and turning it into a business. It's a massive risk but it's pretty much my life long dream.

I'd love to hear of your biggest risk or life gamble you have taken? Doesn't have to be business related.

#2 emmafg

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

12 years ago ,just after my DH and I got married ,we had enough saved to put a good deposit on a place in inner Melbourne.  Deciding we were too young to settle down, we sold everything we owned and moved to London.

We flew out on 9/11 (bad timing!), arrived in London to find the bottom had fallen out of the IT job market.  I found a job reasonably quickly, but my salary could hardly support us.

We ended up spending just about every penny we had (had enough for one way flights back home) at the point DH picked up a job after 9 months.  That job came with stock options which enabled us to move back to Melbourne 7 years later, pay for our current house outright, have the school and uni fees for our 2 x DD's in the bank, and almost enough to retire on if we wanted.

A financial gamble that paid off for us.  We are looking to start a business this year which will risk our retirement fund, but we are very excited about it.

Not sure if this is what you were after.

I have certainly taken other big gambles, though those were not financial, and no regrets there either.

#3 julz78

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Trying to have another baby after having a stillbirth and miscarriage with around a 30% + chance of losing the baby again.

It absolutely paid off I now have a beautiful little girl running around who is the light of my life.

#4 la di dah

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

I got on a plane with a return ticket that was for two months later to spend it with a man I'd never met in person (online relationship) in another country, living in his house.

I mean it wasn't quite really that big - we'd known each other for years and done a lot of phone/online/snail-mail talking and right until I got on the plane I wasn't scared but then I was just ohgodohgodohgod for the length of the flight.

Out of curiousity I just asked my DH his and he replied: "A four year internet relationship."

#5 Apageintime

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Letting my then bf of 3 months move with me to Canberra so I could take up my dream job.

Both the move and the BF worked out perfectly (he's now my DH)

#6 Maple Leaf

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

Dh quitting his job with a consulting firm and going out on his own.

Was a huge risk as the consulting firm wasn't so nice about it and tried to wreck DH's chances of going solo.

But we held fast and now he's making 100% his own fee and not paying any of it to the firm. original.gif

My biggest personal gamble was marrying a man I had only spent 12 days with (in person) and moving over here to be with him after having never left North America before.

#7 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Internet dating. Now happily married to my online man, the love of my life with a beautiful son and another bub on the way.

#8 poppy_star

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Out of the blue, we found a house that was larger with all the features that would suit our growing family.  It was a few suburbs further out, and we thought we would almost be exchanging at the same price.  Our house wasn't ready for the market and I convinced my DH that we should do a bridging loan so we could secure the new house.

The market dropped out of housing... GFC, by the time we were ready a month latter.  It took us 5 months to sell and the bridging loan left us very tight almost to the point of breaking us.  During this time I was really upset that I had convinced us to do this.

The big picture is the main thing, 5 months of angst has lead to the best decision of our lives.  We have a good local state school to send the kids, whereas if we stayed we would have to consider private school.  We have met many families in the area.  The house mets our needs opposed to having to spend a couple of hundred thou on the old house.  Since we moved, a major road have been put through 2 houses behind, cause the price plummet.  I think we got out by the skin of our teeth.

In a nut shell, we gambled financially to gain a better lifestyle and better financial security.

#9 ladyantebellum

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Took a job in a town thats almost in the middle of nowhere far from family and friends.
Paid off big time as I met and married DH here and now have three beautiful kids.

Together our biggest gamble has been going into serious debt to buy a farm. Although we bought it more for lifestyle reasons (and it always been a dream of Dh) than financial reasons.

#10 Ice Queen

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (emmafg @ 01/02/2013, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We flew out on 9/11 (bad timing!), arrived in London to find the bottom had fallen out of the IT job market.  I found a job reasonably quickly, but my salary could hardly support us..

We landed in London about 5 days before 9/11!  Thankfully I got my job straight away but my DH took ages to get a job and we had to live off my cr&ppy secretary salary for about 2mo.

About 6mo after arriving in London my DH found a franchise opportunity that he was determined to go for.  It is a huge well known franchise that was already massive in Oz but had only just started expansion in the UK.  We figured we had nothing to lose so went for it.  It took a year to find a retail location but finally got there and ended up opening 3 in London.  

The profits and sales of the shops set us up financially to return home to Oz.

#11 Carmen02

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

biggest risk/gamble I took was I meet DH online and i was 19 at the time he lived in WA i lived in melb, he came for a holiday and we meet up and got along extremely well..then i went over there for a holiday and went back home and made my mind up then and there i was going back to live in WA, at the time i didnt know DH extremely well so I was moving in with someone i meet in real life 2 mths before hand and trying to leave my home with an extremely over protective dad was a nightmare but i did it!!

13 years later and 3 children later we are still together original.gif

#12 Lissome

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

Flying to London to turn up unannounced on the doorstep of my 'one who got away'. I'd been back in Australia about two years and hadnt stopped thinking about him. I cried my heart out to my mum one night, she looked me in the eyes and said 'darling, go and get him.' We had been best friends and housemates, but never a couple but I just knew he was the one for me.

So I spent all my savings, booked a ticket and turned up on his doorstep on a rainy Sunday morning, declared my love for him and we've now been together 7 years, and are expecting our first child. Love him more than ever.

#13 medion

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (minimae @ 01/02/2013, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Flying to London to turn up unannounced on the doorstep of my 'one who got away'. I'd been back in Australia about two years and hadnt stopped thinking about him. I cried my heart out to my mum one night, she looked me in the eyes and said 'darling, go and get him.' We had been best friends and housemates, but never a couple but I just knew he was the one for me.

So I spent all my savings, booked a ticket and turned up on his doorstep on a rainy Sunday morning, declared my love for him and we've now been together 7 years, and are expecting our first child. Love him more than ever.

That sounds like a movie!!!  hheart.gif

#14 Jax12

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (medion @ 01/02/2013, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's exactly what I was going to say. wub.gif  I got goosebumps.  How terrifying!  So glad your risk paid off.

This is a lovely thread to read.  I wish I had an impressive story to share.  My biggest risk was turning down DH when I was 18 for my then-current bf, even though I was head over heels for him...we both had a lot of growing up to do and he'd hurt me in the past.  Three years later he tracked me down again and we've been together problem free ever since.  I often wonder how we would have faired if we'd skipped that time apart and I definitely think we needed it.

#15 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Edited by lifehacker, 02 February 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#16 Lissome

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (medion @ 01/02/2013, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Jax12 @ 01/02/2013, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's exactly what I was going to say. wub.gif  I got goosebumps.  How terrifying!  So glad your risk paid off.

Thanks guys, I still pinch myself that it all worked out for the best. At the time, I was so miserable and just couldn't get him out of my head. I was beating myself up for being so pathetic and hung up on a guy. It really was a last ditch, all or nothing kind of thing. I figured that if he turned me down, than maybe I'd get some closure!

#17 RedBob

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Maple Leaf I'm so very, very pleased to hear that  original.gif I remember that time for you, it was very difficult, and I'm so pleased that its worked out so well.

#18 Duck-o-lah

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

minimae that's beautiful!

Our biggest risk was going into massive debt to buy our business. We will be paying for it in so many ways for many years to come and ATM it truly sucks balls.

I hope it will pay off, as depressed as it makes me, I would be more depressed if we didn't try. So many people I know just sit around whinging that good things never come their way. At leasy I can say we made an effort!

#19 toomuchmess

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

Our biggest gamble was selling everything we owned (which wasnt much) after DH was made reduntant while DS was only 2.5 months old and I was on maternity leave. Packing 3 suitcases and moving from NZ to Aus with barely a couple of grand in our pockets and with our then 7 month old DS.
DHs new job ended up being a total joke (this employer has now been investigated and fined for breaching health and safety guidelines and other misleading stuff). We looked for the next thing going and it was 8 hours inland from where we were. We made plans to pack up and go there after only being at the initial job for 8 weeks. 3 days before the truck arrived to move us I was diagnosed with breast cancer. We moved, I had treatment, we had another baby, and here we are 2.5 years later. Best move we ever made leaving NZ. Haven't regretted it once, even through the crap we went through.

#20 MrsLexiK

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

We were going to move interstate, I got a job here to tied me over for the 4 months before we were going to move and and about a month later DH got fired. It was too early to move as we had worked out we a) needed some money to move, and b) had too many things to be coming back for that would just cost too much.  Instead DH went out into a different field he had been in before and we signed a lease for a place. About 6 months later the GFC hit and the building sector started to dry up, whilst the injections helped the job he was doing was being done by the people who would normally sub it out to him so his work dried up.  He started labouring and was working enough.  We thought it would be great to buy a place (luckily we only borrowed what we could on my wage) DH's work totally dried up (or he would work for a week but not be paid for a month +) and we were tring to pay back our mortgage and it was tight.  We hadn't been together too long before we brought the house either.  Looking back it was a risk we took when we brought and we did have some massive fights in that time (because I was so stressed by the money mainly) BUT our house in the time we have brought it has increased by at least $100K (it also doesn't look like it will fall anytime soon with no real land left and those parts that are being redeveloped are either massive blocks with $1mil + price tags or smaller house on smaller blocks asking about $70K - $100k more then what we paid)

I still sometimes get sad about the interstate adventure we never had but we wouldn't have the house we do now for the price we do now with the small mortgage we have which has meant we can breath and not worry too much about paying the mortgage when I go on mat leave.

We are contemplating whether to go into business right now, which would be a total risk and total gamble and make buying a house when DH was essential unemployed seem not so bad.

#21 tres-chic

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Marrying DH was a large, though calculated risk - but a huge leap of faith for me.

Eight years on, I'm still 50/50 whether it was a wise move.

#22 Faradaye

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

We used the substantial equity in our home to borrow enough to start our own business.

Despite all our hard, hard work and doing everything we could to make it a success it just wasn't.  We got to the point where our marriage was on the brink of collapse due to the dreadful stress.

So we appointed a liquidator and walked away from everything.  We lost our home, our cars, all our assets.  In fact I think we took about 30k of debt with us!

But our marriage survived and we have just last year purchased a home again.

#23 niggles

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I rejected a job offer that would have seen me give up on ny career in education in favour of convenience. I really needed a job but I'm glad I didn't give up because I found a job that united my personal interests and career aspirations a short while later and I really love it.

I'm currently contemplating another much bigger gamble of giving up the job/home/family/city I love so my husband can pursue one of his own on the other side of the world. It's a very hard decision. I really love what I've got going on right where I am so I'm risking a lot. But I think he'll be so much happier and that might just mean even more for us.

#24 Floki

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

No it didn't and I wonder why DH is still with me.

Basically I pushed him into leaving a job that he wasnt happy  in to take over the lease of a business with me. We moved states and were very successful for about 2 months. Then the owner decided she didn't like that so did everything she could to destroy the business. She was successful and it sent us bankrupt.

I don't think he realises just guilty I feel about that nearly 15 years later.

#25 threeinnyc

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Moved O/S when DS was little, everyone thought that we were mad and selfish because we have comfortable life already, whatever for blah blah. Best decision ever, not only that weve had the best experience ever, we've saved up heaps as a result last year we've purchased our "retirement" unit, just down the road from us.  

I'd say don't be afraid to dream big OP!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.