egg free gluten free
morning tea

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mmuc83

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

Hi All,

I'm hosting a morning tea at work and my boss is not able to eat anything with egg or gluten... i'm going crazy trying to find thigns to be able to cook/bring in...

any idea please...... please... please!!!

Thanks

#2 pickledbrain

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Grab a gluten free / egg free cake mix and use an egg replacer (I like "no egg" by Orgran)

Pikelets work well with GF flour and "no egg"

Chocolate crackles are gf / ef if you use gf rice bubbles

There are a few dips which are gf / ef - I got one the other day which was a really good beetroot one

#3 FeralZombieMum

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Gluten free crackers, gluten free free dips and cheeses, celery, carrot & apple sticks.

#4 solongsuckers

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Cook anything you might normally cook but if it contains flour, use gluten free, and if it contains egg, use an egg replacer.

#5 Tired Feral too

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

If you don't want to cook anything I have found cut up fruit, cheeses , dips (GF) and rice crackers that say gluten free, chocolate (plain cadbury dairy milk is definitely safe). Sometimes for something a little special I will melt the chocolate with a little bit of cream so the fruit can be dipped in.

#6 mmuc83

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for all of your replies... will look into egg replacer... and dips etc! thanks again

#7 Rosepickles

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

It could be related to my bad cooking, but I used egg replacer in a GF cake mix and the result was a disaster. Im only mentioning as you may want to test out before relying on something like this the day of.

My mum cannot eat gluten and my daughter cant have egg, so I usually go with dips, crackers and cut up fruit for nibbles etc (check all packaging). Also, check in the health food section of your supermarket and they have nice GF biscuits which some will also be egg free.

#8 notjustyet

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

There are lots of options for packets of biscuits, or cake mixes etc in the health food aisle at Coles/Woolworhs.

There are some nice 'freedom foods' coconut biscuits and other brands. They'll say 'gluten and egg free' on the packet so just check labels.

If you really wanted to bake something, there are lots of good recipes online or in the Australia Women's weekly allergy cookbook. They have a great chocolate cake recipe that I use.

You do need to be aware that baking tins, mixers etc can be contaminated with gluten from wheat flour. You will have to wash everything very thoroughly, because people with coeliacs can react severly to a crumb or gluten residue. Depending on the severity of the egg allergy that can also be a danger.

It is often easier to just buy something in a packet.

Rice crackers and dips are also a good option.

If you get stuck, pm me and I'd be happy to share some recipes (I have a gluten free cake business, not that I'm advertising! Just happy to give some tried and tested recipes if you're desperate).

The allergy forum on here has some good suggestions also.

Edited by notjustyet, 02 February 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#9 SplashingRainbows

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

I made this caramel slice gluten free by subbing the normal flour for white wings gluten free flour (usually found in the health food aisle). The base was superb and my non-gf husband loved it.

I'm fairly certain none of the ingredients contain egg (although would double check before making it for someone allergic to egg).

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/9164/chocolate+caramel+slice

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.