Can i make these dips a day early?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Flutters

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:25 AM

Just wondering if anyone knows if I can make a spinach cob dip & mexican layered dip in advance?

The mexican one is just cream cheese mixed with taco seasoning & milk, and the spinach one is sour cream, mayonaise, spinach, onion & spring veg soup..

Any reason anyone can think of that would mean I shouldn't make them today for DD's birthday party tomorrow afternoon? I don't know if the cream cheese should be eaten straight away if it's been softened out of the fridge & if the frozen spinach would go a little funky?

#2 Ice Queen

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:31 AM

Sometimes I make the spinach and ricotta mix for canneloni earlier in the day for that night.  I find it goes watery (the water kind of seperates) which is from the spinach.  That would be my concern.  I would mix everything else (I wouldnt give two hoots about the cream cheese) but add the spinach the next day.  

Mexican one sounds fine.

#3 adnama

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

Also don't add it to the bread until serving, it will go soggy wink.gif

#4 ~Supernova~

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:36 AM

Being frozen spinach I'd definitely be a little concerned about the water content. You could try squeezing it out a lot? As per pp, the cream cheese is a non issue for me.

#5 MrsLexiK

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

Are you doing the proper Mexican layer dip? (With beans, tomatoes, etc?) if so then no, you could cut the tomatoes, onion and olives up but it will go watery (mind you I use sour cheese for mine)

If you are using frozen spinach again it will go watery but nothing wrong with either of the above being made the night before.

#6 Ice Queen

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE (Mareek @ 02/02/2013, 04:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Being frozen spinach I'd definitely be a little concerned about the water content. You could try squeezing it out a lot?

I put mine in a seive and squeeze out as much water as I can but the water still seperates.  I dont really care with canneloni as I give it a quick stir and I am cooking it but for a dip with cream cheese......eeeek could be a bit wrong the next day!

#7 Flutters

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for the replies, I decided not to risk the spinach one overnight do that's happening in the morning

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.