Rainbow layer cake
what's the best recipe?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 two_ones

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

I've decided to have a go at making that rainbow layer cake for DS' birthday in April.

Can anyone recommend a recipe? I've seen several online but wondering if anyone has made one before and can share which recipe you used?

Thanks!

#2 lady_Mosh

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Hey!!

I made this for my DD's 2nd bday and it was gorgeous! It actually isnt that hard to make either...

If you look on pinterest theres about a bazillion different recipes and some great tutorials

I used this one

http://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2010/11/rainbow-cake.html

I adjusted the amount of almond essence used as it's quite strong and can be overpowering. However, you could also use a couple of boxes of cake mix as well

i also bought 3 smaller round baking tins from coles (around $8) so i could bake 2 at a time and save some time...

Oh - I used a cream cheese frosting rather than the one she did. I love cream cheese frosting better than any other frosting and it's way easier too!

Good luck!!

#3 lizzie04

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

The only cake I ever did that was a massive hit - 4 x WhiteWings butter cake mix, using food colouring to make each cake a different colour. Then made lots of buttercream icing, which i layered in between each cake layer and all over. Very easy and the surprise came when you cut the first piece! I am not a baker so this was very simple but effective. You could decorate however you wanted. Good luck!

#4 CharliMarley

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

I haven't got a recipe for this anymore, but I remember making it in cookery at school and putting too much cochineal for the red colouring!! roll2.gif

#5 g_uzica

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

I used this one last year, but I had to double the icing mixture, but I also added another layer.

http://meredith-countitalljoy.blogspot.com...inbow-cake.html

The tip I was given when making this was to use gel paste colouring as it held the colour through baking.

Edited by g_uzica, 02 February 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#6 iheartu

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

I just used a plain butter cake recipe and added the colourings original.gif

My handy tip - trace your cake tin onto baking paper (x how ever many layers) and ice the circles with buttercream and freeze... When it comes time to put the cake together just layer it up, cake, icing, cake, icing etc! Soooo much easier!

Oh and shove a few straws through the cake before decorating to stop it sliding if it softens, easier than dowels as you can cut them to the right size once they're in the cake original.gif

#7 two_ones

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone! Definitely leaning towards a packet cake base to make things easier.  original.gif

#8 two_ones

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (iheartu @ 02/02/2013, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My handy tip - trace your cake tin onto baking paper (x how ever many layers) and ice the circles with buttercream and freeze... When it comes time to put the cake together just layer it up, cake, icing, cake, icing etc! Soooo much easier!

Ooh thank you - awesome idea!

#9 HeroOfCanton

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (g_uzica @ 02/02/2013, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used this one last year, but I had to double the icing mixture, but I also added another layer.

http://meredith-countitalljoy.blogspot.com...inbow-cake.html

The tip I was given when making this was to use gel paste colouring as it held the colour through baking.

We made this for DDs birthday last year - it was fabulous, and so easy - we managed it even with a 3-day old baby!

#10 g_uzica

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (HeroOfCanton @ 02/02/2013, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We made this for DDs birthday last year - it was fabulous, and so easy - we managed it even with a 3-day old baby!

I got really excited when the recipe stated only 15 min cooking for each layer so I thought one cake tin was sufficient and I could prepare the other layer mixes while one was cooking.  But I had to convert it to an egg free recipe and each layer took 45 mins to cook, 10 hours later I was finished  wacko.gif

But the cake was awesome!!

#11 cattivo lupo

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

I made this last year for DD2's birthday and cutting it open and seeing the kids surprise was great fun.  I used a regular butter cake mix, and I weighed each lot of batter before cooking it (but I am a bit OCD, and it never takes me long to do because I can judge weights pretty accurately by eye anyway).  Used the gel pastes and the colours were amazing

I iced it with a swiss butter cream icing, and it was lovely.

I found I couldn't eat too much of it at a time, as all the food colouring made me feel a bit strange, hard to describe, kind of like bugs crawling under my skin or something, and my head was zinging.  I'd hate to see a kid with a sensitivity to food colouring eat it.  

Worth it though, just for that cool moment of cutting the first slice and seeing the reaction  original.gif .  I'm hoping someone else will request one this year so I can do it again.

#12 TrifectaOfTerrors

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

I made one of these for my SIL last month.  I was lazy and just made up two of the homebrand vanilla cake mixes (75c each) and divided the mixture into 5 lots, coloured them all differently and baked them separately.  I didn't put anything between the layers, just put them all on top of each other and then iced the whole thing.
I also made a yummy mud cake (the mix for this cost around $30  ohmy.gif ).
Of course, the whole rainbow cake (total cost maybe $4) got scoffed and the mud cake (about $40 worth) was left and had to be put in the freezer.
Typical!!

#13 kelliev

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

I made this last year for my daughter's 5th birthday. 2 x Whitewings Golden Butter cake mixes. It was light and velvety and delicious! Like PP I weighed my batter to ensure perfectly even layers. I got these colours using only about 1/4 teaspoon of gel colour in each layer. I used a 9 inch pan which you can get from Kmart for only $6 each so worth having a couple to speed up your cooking time. Each layer only takes 10-15 mins to cook. I just put it together with buttercream. We had so much cake left I froze it and it defrosted beautifully aswell. I have a friend that has consistenly won first prize in the packet cake division at an agricultural show for years with the Whitewings Golden Butter cake mix so that's why I chose that one. Much easier than using a recipe and tastier in my opinion.

#14 marnie27

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

We made one for DD's 1st birthday. We use 6 packet cake mixes (Green's brand) and dyed each mix a different colour using the gel colour pastes. I used Betty Crocker frosting in between each layer and then dream whip over the whole thing. The cake was huge but we had lots of people there and there was NONE left at the end of the day.

It looked amazing and it is one of the easiest cakes I've ever made.

#15 *cough*

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

Rainbow Cake

You'll need:

(for the cake)

2 boxes of white cake mix

food coloring (use wilton to get the vibrant colours) Avoid the no taste red, the colour is just not vibrant enough.

(for the frosting)

4 packages of cream cheese (the rectangle blocks)

1 cup butter

5-6 cups icing sugar

1 T vanilla

To make the cake:

Mix up one box of the cake mix, following the directions on the box. Separate the prepared mix into three bowls with roughly 1 cup of cake mix per bowl. Add food coloring (red in one bowl, orange in another, and yellow in the third).

Bake the three cakes in round pans according to the box instructions. Make sure to check the cakes about 10 minutes before they are supposed to be done. With less mix in the pans, they can cook faster.

Repeat with the second box of cake mix and the remaining three colors (green, blue, purple).

(This will make 6 very thin layers, about 2 cms. You could increase the cake mixes to three packets and split each packet in half to still get 6 colours, or use 4 mixes and 4 colours etc).

To make the frosting:

Mix together softened (room temperature) butter and softened (room temperature) cream cheese until well combined. Add vanilla. Combine. Slowly add in powdered sugar. After the 5th cup, taste the frosting. If you'd like it sweeter, add the 6th cup. If not, leave the 6th cup out. (it gets really sweet so be careful, it makes a huge amount but you need it).

To assemble cake:

Level the tops of each layer of cooled cake with a large bread knife. Slice into the cakes horizontally so that the centers of the cakes are no longer higher than the edges (something that usually happens to them when they are baked). This is important so that the colors will display evenly when the completed cake is cut. Your rainbow will appear warped and not even unless you level the tops of each cake first.

Begin assembly with the purple layer. Set the purple layer on your cake stand or plate. Add enough frosting to cover the layer with enough to spill over the edges (about 1/2 to 1 cup of frosting). Run the flat, smooth side of a large knife around the cake to smooth out the frosting.

Add the blue layer of cake on top of the frosted purple one. Put more frosting in the middle and spread again with the flat, smooth side of a large knife so that the frosting covers the layer and falls out over the edges. Run your knife around the outside edge of the cake as well, to smooth out the sides.

Put the cake into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or the freezer for 1 hour.

Repeat with green layer and then yellow layer.

Put the cake into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or the freezer for 1 hour.

Repeat with orange layer and finally with red layer.

Freezing between each two rounds of layers is recommended. The cake can get really heavy by the time you are adding the 4th, 5th and 6th layers. If it is somewhat frozen at this point, the cake will not get smooshed or crushed. Additionally, it is much easier to frost the cake when it is relatively solid, not wobbling all over the place.

Cover the cake with frosting and run the flat, straight edge of a knife around the top and the edges of the cake to smooth out frosting. Add wording or decorations to the top of the cake with royal icing. Add cream cheese frosting and orange food coloring to a pastry bag and add the orange dollops around the base of the cake.

---- make sure you freeze in between layers. This is crucial. Also I usually do a crumb layer of icing first – google a you tube and watch how this is done.

#16 jossy

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

I make these all the time for my business (cake decorator) and they really are simple.  I use the Taste easy buttercake recipe (I do increase the quantities but there's really no need to if it's a family cake), divide the batter by 6 and colour each the appropriate colour.  If I bake in the morning I will decorate in the late afternoon once it's cooled.  I use swiss meringue buttercream or decorator's buttercream (made with copha rather than butter) as it holds it's shape well.  If I'm covering the cake in fondant I use white chocolate mud cake instead as it a dense cake that holds up the weight of the fondant.  

What I wanted to show you was another option for when it comes to decorating.  I have been doing "naked" rainbow cakes where I don't cover the cake in icing and I colour the buttercream to match the cake colours and they've been an enormous hit.  It's easier to show some photos.....  

and

I use gel colours for both the cakes and icing, specifically the Americolor Electric range and Wilton no-taste red.  You really only need a small amount of colour to get the desired effect.  Sorry for the size of the photos - they're from Facebook and I'm not sure how to resize them from there.

#17 kelliev

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

They are gorgeous jossy!!

#18 Peppery

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (kelliev @ 05/02/2013, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I made this last year for my daughter's 5th birthday. 2 x Whitewings Golden Butter cake mixes. It was light and velvety and delicious! Like PP I weighed my batter to ensure perfectly even layers. I got these colours using only about 1/4 teaspoon of gel colour in each layer. I used a 9 inch pan which you can get from Kmart for only $6 each so worth having a couple to speed up your cooking time. Each layer only takes 10-15 mins to cook. I just put it together with buttercream. We had so much cake left I froze it and it defrosted beautifully aswell. I have a friend that has consistenly won first prize in the packet cake division at an agricultural show for years with the Whitewings Golden Butter cake mix so that's why I chose that one. Much easier than using a recipe and tastier in my opinion.

Wow, I love it. Looks like my mum will be getting a rainbow cake for her birthday this year  tongue.gif (next family birthday)

#19 crazyone2989

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

I've used this recipe many times and it is AMAZING : http://www.raspberricupcakes.com/2011/11/p...inkle-cake.html

You can obviously just make the layers rainbow! yum yum yum

#20 two_ones

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

Awesome pictures kelliev and jossy! I love the Giggle and Hoot cake and the coloured icing is just spectacular!

#21 Mrs.Bee

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE (crazyone2989 @ 07/02/2013, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've used this recipe many times and it is AMAZING : http://www.raspberricupcakes.com/2011/11/p...inkle-cake.html

You can obviously just make the layers rainbow! yum yum yum

I second this recipe. I have made it once as per this recipe - it was amazing, and just last night I made it again but with black and red layers, cut to make a checkerboard. It's a very versatile cake mix and you could add any colours. And the salted buttercream icing is so yummy!!!!!!    
Btw - the pp pics look fantastic!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.