How to get Permanent Marker out of ....

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ~floss~

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

a whole lot of stuff !!

My DS was very tired and cranky this afternoon and while I was settling my daughter I came out to find he had drawn all over:

My carpet
His plastic Toy ATM
His Wooden Toy Kitchen
My Suede Lounge suite

So - any ideas on what will get it out? All four things are different so I'm not sure if one thing will work on all ??

I tried soapy water and then metho - the metho worked a little bit on the plastic but it is still quite noticeable.

Will be going to the shops once hubby is home

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

#2 Dresden

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

EEks!!!

Um I've have success removing ink with isocol ( rubbing alcohol)

#3 lilwonder

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

I have used hand sanitiser with some success on plastic/wood furniture before.

#4 bakesgirls

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

I use hairspray on our cream coloured suede lounge when it's got texta, pen, permant marker on it. Works every single time. It also leaves no marks when it has dried and doesn't fade or discolour the material. Spray it on leave for about a minute, then wipe off. May need repeating a few times, but it works.

Rubbing alcohol on the toys.

Metho and some cotton tips for the carpet. I had to do this when DD2 put nailpoish and permant marker on our carpet and walls. It took some time, but if you work at it slowly, it all comes off.

Edited by bakesgirls, 02 February 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#5 Dresden

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Chux magic erasers may offer you some help too.

#6 whipmix

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover on the plastic, gumption on the wooden toy kitchen,
Hairspray on the carpet,
no idea about the suede, i used alcohol wipes for my leather lounges and it faded it a little bit but you can still see the texta.

#7 Dresden

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

My suede lounge had a big Emily written up the side in blue biro 3 days after we bought it. I removed it with a block of yellow soap I bought from target near the checkouts. It's small and has a blue wrapper. I just wet the side, and really lathered on the soap and sponged off, and then hit it with a magic eraser, and repeated process til it was all off. I'm really not sure how it would work with permanent marker though.

#8 Feral timtam

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

The soap Dresden is talking about is EXIT.
Dirt cheap, works a treat and lasts forever. It's about the only thing I've ever had any success with getting ink out of fabrics. My favourite stain removal product apart from Magic Erasers.
It's also Aussie owned and made biggrin.gif

#9 againagain

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Maybe White Spirits for the couch? It's dry cleaning fluid.

#10 KBM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

For the hard surfaces, try toothpaste.  Dunno about carpet...

#11 Bkrsdzn+1

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

Aeroguard dissolves permanent marker off hard surfaces. Apparently it is used to remove graffiti!

#12 SpunkyMonkey88

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

try sunscreen, my Dh and his team always use it up on site to get permanent market off things

#13 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Earths choice Floor and surface cleaner, it's mostly eucalyptus oil, it works on everything, even removed paint for me.

Will have to try aeroguard and sunscreen, never heard of that!

#14 Frockme

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Just this week I used orange oil to get permanent marker of plastic tubs. It's BRILLIANT. Sprayed it on, left it for 20 secs, wiped it off with the scratchy side if the sponge.  original.gif  it got rid of old sticker marks as well. Bloody awesome stuff!

#15 kshy

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

Perfume works wonders for removing permanent marker

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.