*Updated with a pic 1st post* Hand sewing a cushion cover (a long ish cushion)

11 replies to this topic

#1 BeYOUtiful

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Am I crazy for attempting it?  I don't have a sewing machine.  Just wondering if hand sewing would be strong enough.
The cushion is to go on a (2 section) bookcase, laying down.

Do I cut out the 2 pieces of material - same size?
Then sew them and turn inside out?

Clearly no idea what I am doing lol.
Thanks for any tips/suggestions original.gif

I am pretty happy with how it turned out considering I really am not a sewer biggrin.gif

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/J...zpsd108d4bc.jpg
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/J...zps4fde35b9.jpg

I took pics of each step if anyone wants to see those original.gif
Thanks for everyones tips.

Edited by ~Jane05~, 11 February 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#2 ednaboo

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

It could be done but it will be quicker, neater and stronger by machine.  Do you know someone who will lend you one?  It's not just 2 rectangles - one needs to have an opening to get the stuffing in and out.  Sewing on a zip by hand would be a pain.

Edited by ednaboo, 02 February 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#3 BeYOUtiful

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

My SIL has one but if I ask her I know she will offer to make it, and I want to attempt it (and I don't want her to feel obliged).
I am also scared of sewing machines blush.gif

I was thinking of getting a foam piece cut at Clark rubber or the like.

#4 zogee

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

I'm just a beginner sewing wise but yeah I think you could hand sew the seams if you haven't got a machine. Measure the size of the cushion you want to cover, length and width, and add maybe 10cm to each measurement for a seam allowance and to allow for the pillow stuffing. Although you have to have a way of finishing it off if you want the cover to be removable. I made some that closed with press studs for my ds's room. I. Sure there's a few really simple tutorials on the web. Just google "sewing cushion cover"
Just remember, measure twice, cut once!
Worst case scenario is you'll need to unpick it and start again original.gif

#5 zogee

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Don't be scared of the sewing machine! I was for so long and it's really quite easy, pillowcases are a great first project. Maybe SIL can give you a quick lesson? original.gif

#6 BeYOUtiful

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

I had forgotten about a zipper or closing.
I like the press stud idea sounds more up my alley lol.

Thanks for the replies really helpful original.gif

#7 ~strawberry~

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Easiest closing is just to overlap two panels on the back.

#8 zogee

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (~Jane05~ @ 02/02/2013, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had forgotten about a zipper or closing.
I like the press stud idea sounds more up my alley lol.

Thanks for the replies really helpful original.gif

Yeah press studs are easy wink.gif I'm ok with zips now but they can be tricky!
If you're using a piece of foam you might just want to close it up permanently? That would be really easy.

#9 VioletRose

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

If you are happy for the cushion to only be useable on one side it is easy to do with hand sewing.
If you are using foam it will be nicer of you use some batting (it's the big white fluffy rolls at fabric store) between the foam and fabric. Get it cut a little larger than the foam so it can also wrap around the foam.
Lay the fabric right side down then the batting on top and finally the foam. Like wrapping a present bring up the edges and sew them  together with big stitches. You wont be able to use both sides to sit on but it will have the advantage of easily undone should you need to wash it.

#10 BeYOUtiful

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

If you're using a piece of foam you might just want to close it up permanently?

I think that is the way to go original.gif

VioletRose that sounds really simple, thanks for the tip on the batting.

Thanks Strawberry

#11 k-lo

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Also, your SIL might be delighted that you want to sew and be happy to give you a few lessons- most of us sewers are happy to welcome another into the fold...
Its a lifelong skill!
biggrin.gif

#12 BeYOUtiful

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

You are right she probably would.  She sews patchwork quilts mostly, gorgeous.
I would love to learn, so many things out there I would love to make.

Thanks so much for all the replies I really appreciate it.

Edited by ~Jane05~, 02 February 2013 - 06:07 PM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.