Nail Biting-wwyd?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 firocali

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

DD4 has started biting her nails ( and on occasion her toenails too...eeew). She is biting them so much that they have been very sore and bleeding.

Any ideas on how to get her to stop. The only time she seems to have her fingers out of her mouth is when she is putting the fingers on the other hand in her mouth.

It is an awful habit. Any help would be appreciated wink.gif

#2 KBM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

Firstly Id be trying to figure out why all of a sudden she has started biting her nails, ds (soon 6yo) started biting his nail when he started kindy (when he turned 4) and its a nervous thing for him, bites when hes uncomfortable and then talk to her about it.

There is also a product you can buy from the chemist that you paint on the nails like nail polish, its clear and dries leavinf a yucky tasing residue.  Only prob with that is that you need to reapply after every hand wash.

Good luck, ds is still biting now (he tipped product down the sink and I refused to buy any more.  It was not the first bathroom product he has tipped down the sink )

#3 B.feral3

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

I am 34 and have been biting my nails for 30 years now. Funny enough I remember the very day I started. I was 4 years old and standing in my lounge room. I can even remember the colours on the walls!! There was a thing on Sesame Street about nail biting and how the little girl shouldn't do it... I looked down at my nails and literally started chewing them there and then!! Probably not the message they were trying to get across!! My parents tried everything including bandaging my fingers up, rubbing them in chilli and using that stuff at the chemist. Nothing worked. I actually like biting my nails. I've never had the urge to quit!!  tongue.gif biggrin.gif  

Sorry, no help.

#4 FERALfoxgirls

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

We are doing really well with 'Sally Hansen' nail biter it's in a yellow pack from woolies. dd is four also and had just started. Had to laugh the first time she tasted the nail stuff, she did a big raspberry,shuddered sll over and rolled her eyes. So it's working for us.

#5 Floki

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Firstly Id be trying to figure out why all of a sudden she has started biting her nails, ds (soon 6yo) started biting his nail when he started kindy (when he turned 4) and its a nervous thing for him, bites when hes uncomfortable and then talk to her about it

This is exactly why DS was doing it. It was a reaction to the stress of being bullied. We  had very strong words with the teacher and Principal with regards to the bullying and managed to remove one of the causes.

We did talk about it and gave him some other ways of dealing with it but in the end we resorted to bribery to encourage him to stop. We told him that for every two days he didn't bite we would buy him a Lego Minifig and if he could get to the end of two weeks we would buy him one of the sets he was after. That, and other coping strategies, seemed to work.

It gave him something to focus on rather than his nails which were really quite sore at one stage.

#6 axiomae

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

I've been a nail biter since I was about that age. I bite my nails when I'm deep in thought and don't realise I'm doing it until afterwards. At school/uni I had awful nails! Now I'm a SAHM they're quite nice, ha! Nothing worked for my parents either sorry to say sad.gif

#7 EmandZac

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

We stopped the biting but DS now picks his nails. It is worse when he is nervous! We have tried pretty much everythingL

#8 Funwith3

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

DD1 started biting her nails when DD2 was born - obviously a nervous thing. We got on to it immediately and I think that is the most important thing (so it doesn't become a real habit). We just kept telling her to stop and she did. I've been biting my nails for 30 odd years and I try so hard notto. Try yyour best to stop her - I'd give anything to not do it!!

#9 2littledarlings

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

I was a chronic nail biter for years, only stopped when I turned 30.  

I have notice our DD also 4, having a little nibble when watching tv and what worked for us was me making a big deal out of painting our nails pretty each week together.  She has a soak in a little bowl then a hand massage then paint in sparkly polish.

She was not as bad your dd and not everyone likes polish on a 4 year old, but it is what worked for us. So might help?!

#10 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

As PP's have said, try to work out why it has started and PLEASE try to make her stop becore it bevomes an unconscious habit.
I'm about to turn 40 and while my parents tried to make me stop, they didn't succeed. It is the bane of my existance...

#11 firocali

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for all your replies...perhaps something has happened at Kindy so will follow up that suggestion. Will also give the nail polish a try too.

To all the nail biters-thanks for your replies. I was a chronic nail biter from about 4 until I was about 25 and my parents tried everything to stop it too (hence my concern).

Not sure why I stopped-I just hope she will.

#12 Jellyblush

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

I was one too - it was a reaction to stress for me so I agree, try to find out why.

The thing that eventually stopped me, after trying everything including horrible tasting stuff for about 25 years, was looking after my nails. When I put a clear polish on the and filed them I felt proud of them, not ashamed for the first time ever, and just stopped.

Not age appropriate for your daughter, but looking after her hands might be- a hand massage once a week with a nice cream and telling her how important it is to have pretty hands?

#13 CoffeeCup

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

My DD bit her nails, so I applied the horrible tasting stuff.

So she picked her nails instead of biting them - simply created another habit!

I have resorted to fake short nails as it was the only thing that stopped me biting them.  You can't bite them or pick slivers off.  Had to work hard to find petite fake nails though.

I have them very short on her so they don't look ridiculous.

BTW - DD is 11.

But if anyone has a fail-safe cure - please let me know!!!!

To all the adult nail biters - false nails cured me.  I had them put on when I was 19 for my sister's wedding - just superglue ones.  They were on for 2 weeks and my own nails grew underneath.  You could always do the acrylic ones too - just keep them short (long ones are REALLY hard to get used to
)

Edited by CoffeeCup, 03 February 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#14 ourlittlegirls

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

I'm an ex nail biter. I started at around 4, my parents tried the paint on stuff and I got used to the taste. They tried everything and later as a teenager and adult I tried stick on nails, acrylic nail, I had braces, and I chewed my nails (or stick on/acrylic nails) and nothing stopped me. I stopped suddenly without any reason when was 26.

DD1 bites her nails, fingers and toes, and so far I haven't found a way of stopping her.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.