Do you remember the death of John Lennon?
*could be sensitive*

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 Feral Borgia

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

DH and I were discussing this, we were watching a show about the death of John Lennon, he remembers the day it happened, I don't (1980 I think?) ...I don't remember the day Elvis died.....it got me thinking of the big news stories in my lifetime...

My mum and MIL always talk about  the day JFK was assassinated as being the biggest "news" item that they can recall, anyone of their era can remember exactly where they were when they heard the news ....

I do remember the day Princess Grace died, the death of the Princess of Wales I will always remember ....

For me (and I imagine most of you...?) however it is 9/11 ...without a doubt....I can recall the exact moment (we had just finished watching the west wing) that the breaking news came in, and then we watched in horror as the story unfolded....

What major events stick in your mind?

#2 Feral Nicety

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

Elvis.  John Lennon--I was going out to dinner with my boyfriend and he was a big fan.

The withdrawal of troops from Vietnam.

#3 ani1

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

I was not born yet original.gif but some that stick into mind are:
Princess Diana
Heath Ledger
Steve Erwin
Kurt Cobain

Edited by ani1, 02 February 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#4 Chelli

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Princess Di being killed in her accident.
Stuart Diver being pulled out of Thredbo landslide.
Hearing about the Beaconsfield mine collapse and watching (in tears) when the men were pulled out.
9/11
Bali bombing
Death of Michael Hutchence
Boxing day Tsunami

They all stand out as clearly remembering where I was when I heard about them.

#5 BetteBoop

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

Yes, I remember John Lennon but I was quite young so I didn't really get it.

I remember Elvis dying because my mum cried all day. She was such a huge fan.

The most salient death for me was Lady Di. I was stunned by that and so angry when I saw the footage of the papparazi. She seemed like such a beautiful, gentle person. Dying in such a horrible way, with 2 small kids left behind, made it especially tragic.

#6 Wallymaduka

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Aged 6 at he time. All my (much older) brothers were crowded around the radio, hushing everyone because something important was on.  I remember the brief explanation: "An amazing and very important man has just died".

#7 Soontobegran

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Yes I do and I also remember when President Kennedy was assasinated as I was about to leave the house to go to Brownies and mum yelled out to dad as we were leaving, I was 8 I think?

BB, I feel the same about Lady Di.
I was at work and one of the mums who had just delivered her baby popped on the TV and it there was a Newsflash. I felt incredibly sad, the new mum and I wept for those two boys.

911 I remember well too as I was in hospital following a surgery after my accident and just waking up from an anaesthetic. The night duty nurse turned on the TV just as the plane went into the second building and I honestly thought I was either dreaming or the world was ending right there that night.
I watched every single moment of the commentary for the next week.

Edited by soontobegran, 02 February 2013 - 08:15 PM.

#8 Feral_Pooks

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

I was born in 85. I remember hearing Diana had died, that was quite a shock. I don't think I had ever been aware of a high profile death like that before. The public mourning and grief really got to me. I remember being in a supermarket with a friend and people were saying she was dead, but there were magazines with her picture on it at the checkout and it seemed so unreal.

9/11 scared me, it was like a disaster movie coming to life and I was worried about something happening near me. I heard about it on the radio when my alarm went off. We all sat watching the news all morning and went to school late. It was a pretty awful time for some of my school friends who were muslim, too.

eta. Heath Ledger- I was working checkouts and a customer told me and I started crying. I was in love with him ever since 10 Things I Hate About You and met him twice at protest marches. It felt like a personal loss. Crazy, huh?

Edited by Pooks_, 02 February 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#9 The Old Feral

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

I was 8 or 9, but can't really remember.

The events that have haunted me the most would be 9/11, the tsunami, Black Saturday,  Pt Arthur massacre and (being a local) Jill Meagher's murder.

#10 Mianta

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

I was abou four months old when Elvis died and I don't remember when John Lennon died but my brother can remember my mum crying over it. She is a huge Beatles fan.

The biggest news events I remember is the space shuttle disaster in 1986, 9/11, the Bali Bombings and princess Di, Kurt Cobain, Michael Hutchence and Michael Jackson dying.

#11 Peppery

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

Princess Di
Stuart Diver when they realised he was alive
9/11
Port Arthur

With all of these I remember where I was and what I was doing. I was born in 83 so after Lennon died

Edited by Peppery, 02 February 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#12 9ferals

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

I remember one of the girls at school being upset about John Lennon but it didn't have a big impact for me.

Princess Diana and 9/11 were the big ones for me.

(Is this a test to see who is the oldest? )

#13 ~Nickers~

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

I remember when River Phoenix died  blush.gif I was in the car being driven to work experience and the news came on the radio.  I was so sad lol

Kurt Cobain, Heath ledger - I guess these ones I remember as they were so young..

#14 Ianthe

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

I do remember John Lennon's death. I don't remember Elvis dying.

Most significant that I remember

-Challenger blowing up (that was 27 years ago!)
-Thredbo
-Princess Di's death (and wedding!)
-9/11 of course

My Dad turned 21 the day JFK was assasinated. He and his friends went out to celebrate his birthday and it was all anyone was talking about. Not much of a celebration.

#15 raven74

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

I was peripherally involved with the fallout of Port Arthur.  Heinous.  The media should be ashamed of some of the things they did.  I was also the last person to see three children and their parent alive when I was a child.  It was a huge case with extensive media coverage (very intrusive). Never forget that.

#16 unicorn

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

I remember when Elvis died, my friend came home from school to find her mum crying, I asked what was wrong and she said that he died, and I was like "who's Elvis?" Hey I was only a kid lol.
I remember 9/11, I dropped my son at pre school and they had it on the tv, I didn't take a lot of notice, only thinking it was strange they had the tv on at that time of morning and then they were talking about it on the radio (triple j) on the way back home and I thought it was some kind of prank show so I sat in the car listening until I thought hang on this is for real, I'm a bit slow sometimes wink.gif
I remember the first Gulf War and the price of fuel went up to over 50c / litre and there was an uproar over it.
I remember when Princess Di was killed, I was playing around in the garden when my neighbour hung her head over the fence and told me, and I'm still convinced the royals had something to do with it. And I remember the night her funeral was on tv, the only thing on all 5 channels and for the first time in 18 months I had perfect tv reception. I also remember Mother Teresa passing, now that woman left big shoes to fill.

#17 Feral Borgia

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (Rubybelle @ 02/02/2013, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember one of the girls at school being upset about John Lennon but it didn't have a big impact for me.

Princess Diana and 9/11 were the big ones for me.

(Is this a test to see who is the oldest? )

Ha no! Wouldn't run a test like that which I am likely to lose...!

The replies are really interesting......yes, Kurt cobain and river Phoenix as well...such great talents lost sad.gif

..the Stuart diver story too...what an amazing story ...

#18 Feral Borgia

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (raven74 @ 02/02/2013, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was peripherally involved with the fallout of Port Arthur.  Heinous.  The media should be ashamed of some of the things they did.  I was also the last person to see three children and their parent alive when I was a child.  It was a huge case with extensive media coverage (very intrusive). Never forget that.

Sorry if I dredged up memories......it was an awful event.

#19 Flimsy*But*Fun

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

I remember hearing about John Lennon but not really knowing who he was or why it was important.  I was 10 yrs old.  What was MORE important to me at that time was that my Dad had just won a table tennis table, 3 x Tissot watches and $50 on Sale of the Century!!

I remember all sorts of hostage crises when I was a youngster.

I remember the Challenger disaster because it was my Dad's birthday and we were in Raffles in Singapore on a stopover on our way home from spending a year in Wimbledon.  I was almost 16yrs old.

I remember when Ronald Reagan bombed Tripoli - again I was 16, I was at school and I was petrified we were all going to die in a Nuclear war.  I ran to the school's public phone box and spoke to my Nan who calmed me down a bit.  I was very conscious of the threat of nuclear war when I was a young teenager in the early 80s.

I remember Princess Di dying, my XH and I were with his boss and some friends in a holiday house at Bonnie Doon.

And I'll never forget 9/11.  My DH and I were living in L.A. at the time.  I had the day off work which was good because I spent the whole day sitting in front of the TV bawling.  It was totally eerie not seeing or hearing any air traffic in L.A.'s skies - they grounded all air traffic and closed both the borders (Canada and Mexico).

#20 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Princess Diana - we were having a family celebration, I think it may have been a cousins birthday. We had just got home from lunch, everyone was back at our place.

Stuart Diver - I remember watching the footage all day, but heading out that night to my first school dance.  It happened to be at the school my DH attended, but he would have been long since graduated at that point.  

911 - I woke up in the morning, and my parents were on the phone, the coverage was on TV, and it was splashed across the newspaper.  I'd had a late night the night before - boyfriend (now DH) had been over.  In my half asleep state, I thought they were talking about a movie, like a new Independence Day or something.

#21 Feral Borgia

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (Sassy Girl @ 02/02/2013, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On a good note I remember Australia winning the America's Cup. I was in year 6. We were allowed to march around the playground while 'Down Under' played on the loudspeakers  biggrin.gif

Oh yes! I do remember that...and hawke saying words to the effect that any boss who wouldn't let their workers go out to celebrate was a loser (or something like that)

I also recall the night it was announced Sydney would get the Olympics ....

#22 raven74

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

Sorry if I dredged up memories......it was an awful event.

Oh no, it's ok.  I'm in WA and I think many don't realise the far reaching affects that the massacre had.  I'd tell the story, but out of respect for the deceased and family don't think it is respectful on a public forum.
There's quite a bit about Martin Bryant that I am privy to that is just horrendous.

#23 la di dah

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

The Berlin Wall coming down. I remember clearly thinking that "this is the first thing I'll ever remember that is history." I was 5.

I remember the Soviet Union ending very clearly. Everyone I knew cried in relief. I knew so many Russians. I remember hearing over and over that the Cold War was over, that there would be no nuclear war. No one had previously told me that there was much risk of a nuclear war but they sure told me when there WASN'T. And so many Russian Jews were coming to my hometown because they could finally get visas. I was 7.

#24 fun_fairz

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

I don't remember Lennon dying and I was 8 at the time.

I remember Princess Diana dying, Stuart Diver being pulled out of the rubble at Thredbo. I also remember watching in absolute horror as the Port Arthur Massacre played out on the television  cry1.gif  

On a good note I remember Australia winning the America's Cup. I was in year 6. We were allowed to march around the playground while 'Down Under' played on the loudspeakers  biggrin.gif

Sassy you must be a similar age to me, I would have been about 6 when Australia won the Americas cup. I remember walking to school with my mum and sister as we had missed the bus. The bus drove past and had streamers and flags flying out the window.
I also remember when Syd-ed-ney, was announced as Olympic hosts. I was in the library at school and we were all super excited. Pity I was not living in the country when we hosted the games.
9/11 was also really prominent, I was living in London at the time and we were watching it live when the towers collapsed. It was scary as they evacuated many buildings in London too.

#25 Soontobegran

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

DD3 was born to the tune of Down Under (my obstetrician was watching it on the TV in my room), it is her theme song whether she likes it or not original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.