Kennel cough or does it need a trip to the animal hospital?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MrsLexiK

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

So of course I will phone the only vet that is open tomorrow morning but in the meantime I need to know whether this is a trip to the animal hospital or whether my dog will be fine.

Late this afternoon my dog started coughing/making choking sounds. Nothing came up and he did it a few times, my first thought was something stuck in his throat (he did get a dried spare rib today) but he is not eating grass and seems happy enough. My second thought was kennel cough he went in to a new place over the long weekend. Picked him up on Tuesday. My DH said to feed him and see if that dislodged anything so he had his dinner.

Basically nothing much has changed, he is having coughing attacks and gagging at the end of some of them and bringing up mucus and some foam with some but not all. He seems rather happy (albeit he is curled up on a jumper on the ground which is a tad strange) tail wagging, happy face on jumping around. I have googled and it appears it could be kennel cough but I am not 100% sure and I don't want to spend the night worrying checking on the dog all night.

I took a video and sent it to my mum but she has never heard it before - even with all her years and her mothers years in the show ring.

The other thing if it is kennel cough how long til he is not able to infect another dog? I am meant to be looking after my dads dog Tuesday week. I don't want to have to drive out to his place twice a day.

#2 fairymagic

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

Is your dog vaccinated against kennel cough. It could be a piece of bone has become stuck in his throat. I wouldn't sit on it too long if the coughing continues. If it perforates his oesophagus it can be very serious.  A small shard of bone can be stuck in his throat thus he is able to eat/drink/breathe but if there is something stuck, it needs to be removed. If he is still coughing by morning I would not feed him or allow him to drink until you have seen the Vet. It is possible they will investigate quickly and he may possibly need an anaesthetic for that.

Sorry to give worst case scenario. Not sure re Kennel cough and infectious period. Is your Dads dog vaccinated against it?

#3 ~Karla~

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

Bringing up foam and mucous would concern me. My puppy got kennel cough after her first puppy preschool class and never brought anything up. I rushed her to the 24 hour vet at 3am as I thought she had something stuck in her throat.

I'd be erring on the side of caution and going to the vet now, but my history as a vet nurse makes me a bit nervous because I know how quickly things can get worse and something can go from being a relatively simple issue to a life-threatening one. If there's a 24 hour vet near you, I'd go.

#4 Jellyblush

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

Where do you live OP? Maybe we can help you with a 24 hour vet. Or, you could call a 24 hour vet in another city for advice.

It might be nothing - my dog has both a) had kennel cough and been fine and b) wheezed up foam and been fine, but never together - I'd check it out so you can sleep easy.

#5 minimae

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

That sounds exactly like when my dog had kennel cough, sounded like he was choking, coughed up a little bit of foamy mucous every time. He was fine the rest of the time. I looked on YouTube for kennel cough videos, and his cough/wretch spew thing was exactly the same. The foam was so gross, and he would lick it up if you didn't get there first! So gross. It was so stressful as it sounds just like they have something stuck in their throat.

I rang the vet in the morning, they got me to bring him up but took him in the side entrance and they had to disinfect everything after we left! The vet didn't do anything but tell us to keep him inside for two weeks!! No walks or anything, and if he got worse to bring him back as there were antibiotics he could take. I'm glad we took him though, for our peace of mind. He survived his quarantine period fine, and we were really strict about it. I think one of the things they did to diagnose it, was to gently press on this throat to see if it triggered the cough, which it did.

I should add that he was fully vaccinated against kennel cough. Good luck, it's so stressful. I'll see if I can find the YouTube video and add a link for you.

Eta: this is all obviously just my personal experience and I'm no vet! If there is a vet you can call it would be worth a quick phonecall to see what they say.

Edited by minimae, 02 February 2013 - 10:58 PM.

#6 MrsLexiK

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

Thanks ladies, I phoned the vet this morning (after getting confirmation from someone else that is what their dogs had and behaved liked) and they are sure that is what it is. I know how quick things can turn with pets as well but he was happy which was the key for me and the fact he had been in a kennel since Tuesday. If he hadn't been in the kennel I would have rushed him to the emergency vet.

ETA: yes he was vaccinated of course he was vaccinated original.gif but his not the first I have known to get it when vaccinated.

Edited by MrsLexiK, 03 February 2013 - 08:16 AM.

#7 minimae

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for the update op, this was the first thing I though of this morning!

Yep my dog got it although vaccinatied, my vet described it like the flu shot for humans, it only protects against some strains.

My dog had quite a bad case and he coughed for about a week.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.