Adrenal fatigue

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 RaggedyAnne

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

Hi

I've been chronically tired for quite a while now and at first we attributed it to breastfeeding. Now that I've finished that (a couple of months ago) I find that I am still tired. So, I went to the GP and got the requisite barrage of blood tests. Apparently, they all came back fine. However, I am not fine. I headed to Dr Google and found information on adrenal fatigue. I can't seem to find any mainstream studies done on this, but I was wondering if anyone here has been diagnosed and who this was by.

Thanks

#2 sqawk

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

There are no mainstream studies on it!!
You can ask your GP to test you for cortisol deficiency/addison's ( if not already done). If this is normal then ur adrenals are normal/functioning normally

#3 Expelliarmus

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

The kids' principal was recently diagnosed with this. Wouldn't have a clue by who or where or whatever but that's what she wrote in her farewell letter. I'd never heard of it before.

Good Luck, it's obviously 'newly emerging'.

#4 lafonda

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

I have adrenal fatigue, I can't tell you a whole lot. It came about after having a baby four years ago. I am just so so tired. All the time.

#5 sqawk

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

I just goggled adrenal failure out of interest. Most of the sites came back as being linked to Dr James L Wilson.  He was and I underline was an American physician. He was struck off the medical register some years ago.  He was given a 2-3 year suspension.  He has never been reinstated.  He still used his "doctor" title.  There is a large exposé on him on a site called "quack watch". ( quack in this instance referring to a dodgy doctor).  He makes his money from diet supplements and his books etc.

#6 Tamzin1984

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

There is an article about this in the latest Women's Weekly.. It's not an actual medical diagnosis as such (from what I gather) and comes about simply from functioning at a high level of stress for a long period of time. This is not a new idea medically, simply a new fashionable name. I remember reading something along these lines in a book several years ago.. Can't remember the title of the book.. Something about zebras maybe?

#7 Tamzin1984

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Found it! I love google..
"Why Zebras don't get Ulcers" by biologist Robert Sapolsky.

#8 annalise24

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Go to Dr Libby's site, she has written two books "accidentally overweight" and "rushing womens syndrome" and she talks about Adrenal Fatigue.  

My blood tests show that I have Adrenal Fatigue... I'm trying to change my lifestyle to lesson the things that can make it worse etc.

#9 ~chiquita~

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

After years of complaining about my fatigue and the countless blood tests I had, (the usual, iron, thyroid, LFT, B6, B12, etc) I asked my GP for a referral to an endocrinologist to investigate adrenal disorders. She tested my DHEA levels which came back really low.  I haven't been officially diagnosed as such but am taking DHEA every day and have noticed I'm feeling so much better. I've struggled for years and am annoyed it took so long to figure it out.

DHEA

I have to have a blood test to check my hormones, liver and kidney function before I can fill a repeat. So far my levels haven't changed at all, my body is using it all. Ask your GP for a referral to an endocrinologist. Or if he/she has knowledge in this area they can test and prescribe for you.

Adrenal Fatigue

#10 sqawk

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

What was the blood test?

#11 sqawk

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Are you sure you are taking DHEA? If its from a compounding pharmacy or practitioner it's impossible to tell if you are actually getting an active medication.  It could be a true placebo!!

#12 BubblyGal

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

I had it at the beginning of last year - I saw a naturopath who put me on a variety of herbs and vitamins.

I was very sceptical to start with but after 6 weeks I couldn't believe the difference!

Can highly recommend it.

#13 ~chiquita~

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (sqawk @ 03/02/2013, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you sure you are taking DHEA? If its from a compounding pharmacy or practitioner it's impossible to tell if you are actually getting an active medication.  It could be a true placebo!!

That's what it says on the bottle. I doubt Soul Pattinsons Compounding Chemist would be selling placebo for $70. My GP wanted me to take 50mg this time around and I tried it but couldn't sleep.

#14 StopTheGoats

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

I use a product called Adrenotone. I buy it from my naturopath. I don't know if it helps but I certainly feel better and that was the objective all along so I'm not bothered if it's placebo  ph34r.gif

Sucker born every minute.  blush.gif

#15 cheekymonkeysmum

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

My son was born with adrenal deficiency he has to take hydrocortisone tablets 3 times a day.
He was born very lethargic and if he gets  sick or injured he goes into a adrenal crisis to have to double or triple his meds.
ds had many many blood tests to get it confirmed but luckily we got a diagnosis in time otherwise it could have turned out much worse.

I would go to the Doctors straight away and ask for the blood test.

Good luck OP.

#16 ~chiquita~

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (JuniorSpies @ 03/02/2013, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know if it helps but I certainly feel better and that was the objective all along so I'm not bothered if it's placebo  ph34r.gif

Hell yes, I haven't felt this good in years!

#17 tintin78

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Yes-my Naturopath diagnosed me too at one point. I didn't take Adrenotone....something else which for the life of me i can't remember what it's called now!
I had a barrage of other tests done too with GP and the other things I found were low Ferritin & Vit D. Get those checked if you haven't already as being low in those will make you tired too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.