Aussie phonics app - young devlopers
Created the app for his sister

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 babychacha

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Hi

I read this article the other week and saved it to read later and look up the app for my DS (5) who just started school. I have a couple of phonics apps for him but he already finds them boring. Bought the one mentioned last night and will see what he thinks of it.

I was quite struck by the article and the difference in the personal outlook from two of the developers mentioned in the article. One created an app to help his sister and now donates 20% to a charity in Africa and another person was amazed Apple wouldn't buy his app when it was all about taking the mickey out of people and not in a nice way.....hmmm....I guess there is no nice way to do that.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/smartph...0124-2d82n.html

''You can hear my sister, Gracie, say the sounds throughout the app, and my brother, Jasper, did the background music,'' he says. ''The only money I had to spend was $100 to get the Apple Developer account, and my parents actually got that for me for my birthday.''

McLaren's ambitions go further than helping iPad-equipped youngsters learn how to read. Out of the money he makes from the app, 20 per cent goes to the charity 100% Hope, a non-profit organisation run by one of his teachers on the Gold Coast. It is dedicated to caring for orphaned children in Africa.

"One of them, Shattercam, tricks a user into thinking they've broken the iPhone's screen and takes a picture of their reaction. Apple rejected it on the grounds that it misled people into thinking their screen was cracked.

''That was disappointing. I spent a lot of time on that but I can't put it out,'' he says.

Edited by babychacha, 03 February 2013 - 09:13 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.