Best instant coffee

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 mybabysmumma

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Hi, looking for the best instant coffee as a substitute for the creamy yummy coffees you get from cafes. Looking at cutting back at buying coffees each day, but find I really miss the taste of the cafe coffees. I know they won't be exactly the same, but any suggestions would be great thanks  original.gif

#2 ILBB

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

There is no "best" instant coffee.  Get some ground coffee and buy a plunger - still very quick and actually tastes like coffee!

#3 Feral Alpacas

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

I didn't mind Moccona French when I used to drink instant. I still have a jar in the pantry in case of emergency.

#4 feralstreak

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Moccona is nice and I don't mind Robert Timms. As long as it's not International Roast, I'm happy!

#5 Futureself

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

There really is none.
I would buy an inexpensive Aldi Pod machine and consider it an investment. Having something close to Cafe coffee will mean you'll be more likely to 'coffee in' rather than going out.

#6 piper-jane

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (ILBB @ 02/02/2013, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is no "best" instant coffee.  Get some ground coffee and buy a plunger - still very quick and actually tastes like coffee!

I agree. There is no good tasting "instead" of coffees out there. Go to Myer or Kmart and get a cheap coffee maker/or a bodum as previous poster suggested.

However, dh weighed in with "I like International Roast" wacko.gif Honestly, the man will drink anything brown as long as it's in a cup.

#7 PoshMosh

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

Agree that instant coffee does not match up. You can buy an inexpensive pod machine from Woolies or Aldi and the capsules are not that expensive either.

Way better than instant coffee.

#8 désir d'amour

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

DH is a big fan of the Columbian style instants.

Since Moccona discontinued theirs, we've discovered this one:

Republica Freeze Dried 100% Pure Columbian Coffee 100g
$11.81

100% Fair Trade

100% Organic

100% Australian Owned

100% Carbon Neutral

I don't mind it, but I'm not a coffee fan in the slightest.

Edited by Soprano-Cat, 03 February 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#9 FeralFerretOfDoom

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Have you tried coffee bags?

I don't drink coffee myself but DH is a bit of a coffee snob and they are his compromise coffee.

http://www.roberttimms.com/OurProducts/For...70/Default.aspx

#10 namie

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

DP likes the Moccona Indulgence instant coffee, but since he'll choose that over a cafe coffee I don't necessarily trust his judgement! It is better than Nescafe, but that may not mean much.

I prefer Genovese ground coffee which I use with a Bodum coffee plunger. When I have a non-smashed milk frother (thanks, kids!) I heat and froth my own milk for a 'proper' tasting coffee. If I can't get my hands on Genovese, I get the Fair Trade one from the supermarket.

I would love to get an Aldi or similar pod machine but can't spare the cash at the moment.

#11 CountryFeral

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

DP (resident coffe snob) uses a stovetop expresso pot that he bought in St Vincent de Paul for 50c  17 years ago.

I know you can buy them brand new sometimes for $15/20

It doesn't have to be expensive to drink great coffee - don't compromise OP!

#12 The Old Feral

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

The coffee bags are the only things that come close IMO. I agree that plunger coffee would be better.

#13 *cough*

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Is this a trick question?

#14 Clever bunny

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

I just told my DP that I'd replace our coffee machine before the washing machine! Before we had the machine we used a plunger and then a pod machine. Now that Nespresso's patents are expiring there are lots of much cheaper pod systems about. I'd look into those before resorting to instant.
Perhaps some EBers can share reviews about the newer pod machines?

#15 bettymm

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

We just got the Aldi Expressi pod machine and i LOVE it!  I have also found i like it so much i am buying less coffees when out as i prefer my home made pod one!  

The pods are cheap, the machine itself is not all that expensive and they are VERY quick and easy to make.  Best decision ever getting that.

Prior to that we used to use the stove top expresso pot which is also lovely but it was a large one and i found i was wasting too much coffee making it for just myself in the day.

#16 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

I have a lovely espresso machine but actually prefer the taste of instant coffee. ( Slinks away from thread in shame).

#17 .MrsM.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

my husband drinks Robert Timms also, thinks its the best of the instants available.

i don't drink coffee so can't comment.

#18 noi'mnot

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Another vote for a plunger or stove top espresso pot.

I never ever drink instant coffee. If you're after a decent fix of coffee, instant will not do it for you.

#19 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Is the world being taken over by coffee snobs? My poison is Nescafe Blend 43. I cannot stand machine made coffee.

#20 glasnost

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

I also have a stove top coffee maker and love it. Plunger is a distant second and instant.... sick.gif

I am a coffee snob though. I have to admit that a friend made me a Moccana or what ever it is called a couple of weeks ago and (after honestly not drinking instant in 10 years) I did find it drinkable.

#21 roses99

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

We bought a pod machine from Woolies. It was $69 and the milk frother was $25. I was very skeptical; our auto espresso machine had just died and I thought the pods would come a very distant second.

But I've been very pleasantly surprised! So much so, that we're not going to bother replacing our big machine. The pod machine is so compact, you can buy Woolies pods or Gloria Jeans pods, and it's quick and easy.

Those Robert Timms coffee bags actually contain instant coffee. And instant coffee is full of chemicals and isn't good for you. I think you're much better off just buying a pod machine (or a plunger or stove top).

#22 Riotproof

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

I have a friend who likes the Nescafé flavoured sachets. Not sure how cheap it ends up though.
Personally, I would avoid a pod machine because of they environmental waste of pod. A plunger is my preferred method, and then I can put the grounds in my compost.
You could just spread on your garden if you don't compost.

#23 je m'en vais

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

I love Nescafe Gold Blend.

#24 RunDMC

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

I found the key to instant coffee is to put the milk in and stir it before adding the hot water, takes some of the bitterness out. If you are used to lattes then I would recommend at least 1/3 cup of milk!
Nescafé gold or moccona, 1/3 cup of milk and 1 sugar can hold me over until I get to have a real coffee at a cafe.

#25 Blueberrymummy

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Turkish coffee on the stove top if you really need that caffeine hit or Moccona Classic which I just discovered is much tastier then Nescafe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.