Ebay bidding question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 raven74

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

I am bidding on something - first time as a bidder.  Last night I put a bid of $35.  It was outbid at $36 this morning so I upped by a dollar.  Immediately I was outbid by another dollar.  Five minutes later, I did a dollar bid again (no other bids had beel placed).  Followed this pattern for 10 minutes or so.  Every time I put in a dollar bid, I was immediately outdone.  The intersting thing is, it is only increasing when I bid (the nanosecond I bid blink.gif ) - no further bids at any other time.
Can the seller put on bids to drive up the price or have an automatic bid out on the item until a certain time?  I know that there could be another person sitting on the item but it's still on for another 7 hours - I know if I really wanted it I'd wait until the time was almost up and outbid if I could at the last second, not sit on it so far out and go dollar for dollar.  It seems odd that the bidding is increasing the way it is. The second I up a dollar I get the "You've been outbid!" screen. It just seems odd that this particular item would be so hot. Seems really odd.
Or I am naive to ebay? ph34r.gif

#2 bakesferalgirls

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Someone else probably has an automatic bid in or just like you, someone else really wants it. If you are sitting there watching the screen and upping your bid, is it really so unusual that someone else may be doing it also?

#3 RachelT

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

I'm no expert, but say you put a bid of $50 on that item, it won't go straight up to $50, it goes up (by in this case $1 but depends how much the item is worth) until it reaches ur maximum. Not sure if that makes sense?

#4 noi'mnot

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

It looks as though the person who originally outbid you put a maximum bid - Ebay uses the minimum required from this maximum amount for them to win, and automatically increases their bid up to the maximum bid, every time somebody else bids. For example, their maximum bid might be $50 so if you keep on going, they will continue to outbid you until you get to $51 at which point their automatic bidding will end and you'll be the highest bidder.

I hope that makes sense.

#5 IsolaBella

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

Someone may have put in their max bid say at $50. So although item may be listed at $25 currently, you bid of $26 is automatically outbid at $27 by the person who has $50 as their maximum bid.

#6 raven74

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

No it isn't. As I said, I am an ebay newbie and was wondering if the owner of the item can do this to bump up prices.  As an ebay virgin, I didn't even know you could do automatic bids blush.gif  Which answers the question I think!  Cheers girls.
I am surprised though, it's at $50 now - waaaaay overpriced laugh.gif
ETA: I am also extrememly cynical and could get addicted to ebay...

Edited by raven74, 03 February 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#7 noi'mnot

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

So, if you have an absolute maximum that you're willing to pay on the item, put that "maximum bid" in, and Ebay will use the minimum required from that to win the auction for you, unless somebody else puts their maximum bid in at a higher price.

Not everybody uses the automatic bidding system, sometimes people just increase their bids bit by bit, but I find automatic bidding to be the easiest and least fool-proof. The seller will never know what the maximum was that you were willing to pay.

#8 noi'mnot

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (raven74 @ 03/02/2013, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No it isn't. As I said, I am an ebay newbie and was wondering if the owner of the item can do this to bump up prices.  As an ebay virgin, I didn't even know you could do automatic bids blush.gif  Which answers the question I think!
I am surprised though, it's at $50 now - waaaaay overpriced laugh.gif

Rest assured that it's not the seller's doing.

Ebay is nuts like this, though. Sometimes you'll get something for an absolute bargain, sometimes it's cheaper to go buy it at a shop. People get caught up in the excitement of bidding! original.gif This is another reason why the automatic system is good, because you let Ebay do your work and don't get too excited in the moment.

#9 PatG

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

If you are new to ebay I'd suggest just deciding how much you are willing to pay for the item (taking into account postage) and place your maximum bid, log out and don't go back until the auction has ended.  You will either win or not win the item and you won't have paid more than you planned to.  You might even get it for 1/3 of your max bid....

#10 babatjie

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

I use Auction sniper, it bids the maximum I'm willing to pay within the last 5 seconds ad I forget about it.

#11 namie

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (RachelT @ 03/02/2013, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm no expert, but say you put a bid of $50 on that item, it won't go straight up to $50, it goes up (by in this case $1 but depends how much the item is worth) until it reaches ur maximum. Not sure if that makes sense?

This is how I bid. I decide how much I'm willing to spend on the item all up and put that amount in. If I win for less, great! If I lose, well at least I know I didn't overpay like some other silly person original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.