Sunscreen staining school uniform
Any tips?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kelly0666

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

My DS has just started school and he has to wear a white polo shirt which have become stained from sunscreen.  The collar has orange marks on it and a few orange marks on the actual shirt from the sunscreen.  Any ideas how to get rid of the stains, I have used preen and it did not work.

Also any ideas which suncreens do not stain.  I use banana boat.

#2 Lyn29

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Edited by bye, 29 March 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#3 brazen

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

our kids don't have to use sunscreen thank goodness! just try some other brands?

#4 mumto3princesses

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

We have never had a sunscreen stain the girls uniforms and the original primary uniform when DD#1 was in primary and the year my twins were in Kindergarten was a white polo. We mostly use banana boat or cancer council roll on sunscreens.

I would try a good scrub with some Exit soap and scrubing brush. Scrub and leave it for a few minutes and go back to it and give it another scrub and then wash again with nappysan.

#5 cantstayaway

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

I use banana boat sunscreen and use washing up detergent to get it off my hands - may work on clothes as well.

#6 melaine

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

I think you might have more luck with something like a sard wonderstick to get the stains out.

I've had yellowy stains before (on white clothes), but never orange! I think we've got Hamiltons toddler block and it has been ok.

#7 mandala

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Do you live in Perth by any chance, OP? I bet it's because of the iron in Perth's water reacting with one of the sunscreen ingredients (avobenzone or butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane). The solution is to look for a sunscreen that doesn't contain avobenzone. The problem is that means you're stuck with the titanium dioxide/zinc oxide products, which tend to be harder to put on and wash off skin.

I have never had success removing the stains sad.gif But why do schools choose white for a primary school uniform?? If it wasn't the sunscreen, it would have been paint or fruit or something else.

#8 chickendrumstick

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (KRT @ 03/02/2013, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bet it's because of the iron in Perth's water reacting with one of the sunscreen ingredients (avobenzone or butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane). The solution is to look for a sunscreen that doesn't contain avobenzone.

Of course, so obvious! Why didn't we all think of butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane?!

To remove the stains I'd try a bicarb water paste, leave it for an hour and then wash the shirt. Usually works for me.

#9 kelly0666

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Thanks for all your replies, I'll definitely try everything you have suggested.

KRT - I'm in Sydney but I did do some googling and read about the iron in the water reacting to the sunscreen.

Thing is, this wont be a once off, it will be a weekly struggle with removing the stains.  I'll let you know what works.

#10 Cat People

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Is there a reason you are applying sunscreen?  Wouldn't he be in class for the morning, then at lunch they wear hats which usually cover the neck area (and sunscreen would have worn off by then any way).

#11 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

DD1 had a roll on sunscreen explode all over her brand new $50 dress.

Anyway, I put a bit of napisan in really hot water and put it in there for a bit, then got some sard soap and gave it a really good scrub, then washed it in a hot wash with a long soak cycle and it came out.

As for why to apply, some kids have fair skin and spending an hour in the sun with a stupid bucket hat and nothing on their arms and legs doesn't give them any protection. DD1 puts sunscreen on before school then again at the start of lunch.  

#12 Pearson

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

I really don't understand the questions as to why the child has to wear sunscreen, or any other replies like that.
Skin cancers are one of Australia's biggest health problems. My grandfather died from complications at having one removed, my aunts have had severe facial surgery, my father has scars all over his body from having them removed for as long as i can remember, and a guy I worked with died at the age of 43, leaving behind 4 kids under 5.
I have had 2 cut out, and have just been told I have to have another removed from my eyelid! I am 36!

While many of you will say I have a genetic predisposition, who cares? Please, look after your children and put sunscreen on them daily, and try and get them to apply themselves when old enough.

No matter where you live, you will get them, and with the protective ozone layer destroyed, the southern states are just as at risk as the northern states!

Sorry for hijacking your thread op!

Try sard wonder soap and soak overnight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ek-houseofmagic-thumb

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.