Best contraceptive pill?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Velvetta

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Posting here for more traffic, as I'm seeing a GP tomorrow. I haven't been on the pill for about 9 years and that was the mini pill which was disastrous with  a lot of break through bleeding a a total stuff around with my cycle.
So I thought I'd go back on it again but not the mini.
I realise that everyone responds differently but is there some sort of consensus of a brand or make that gives no one any side effects at all and doesn't diminish libido?
Just ball park.... pleeese original.gif

#2 EssentialBludger

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

I'm on Yaz. No side effects. And my skin has been better than ever.

#3 ~Supernova~

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

I use Yasmin, I like it. Was previously on Diane, which has just been linked to 4 deaths...I loved it but yeah, no thanks lol.

Skin great on both, libido still as high as ever.

Edited by Mareek, 03 February 2013 - 05:30 PM.

#4 Excentrique Feral

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

I've tried quite a few and usually find myself feeling a bit ragey on them.

I'm now on Logynon and it works well for me.

#5 IsolaBella

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

My DR took me off Yaz and Yasmin due to being four times more likely to develop clots then other Pills.

http://www.pharmatimes.com/article/11-04-2...lood_clots.aspx

I have ended up with Implanon (arm implant) and it is great. Only had spotting for 2-3 days four times in 15months. Nothing to remember. Most effective form of contraception.

Edited by lsolaBella, 03 February 2013 - 05:43 PM.

#6 Guest_Spunkrat_*

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

Edited by Spunkrat, 25 April 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#7 ChickenortheEgg?

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

Yasmin for me.

#8 JaneDoe2010

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

Google Yaz before you try it. Look at all the lawsuits in USA and all the side effect. wink.gif

#9 désir d'amour

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

I was on Levlen for 3 years before breakthrought bleeding.

Moved up to Norimin.

Somewhere along the line I've been shifted up to Norimin 1.

If they've had any negative effect on my libido, I would be absolutely horrified because as it is I'm ready for it 24/7.   ffear.gif

#10 livvie7586

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

I wouldn't touch levlen with a 10 ft pole.  Firstly there seem to be quite a few levlen babies wandering around (DS is one of them, and there are plenty of threads here on the topic), and secondly sex drive was nonexistant for me on it (things would starts out ok, but after 6-12 months i just wasn't interested).

I'm with spunkrat, though, finding one that works for you really is trial and error

#11 ~Supernova~

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Levlen and Lygonon were both terrible for my skin. I guess the moral of the story is...it'd different for everybody and you need to try it out :/

I will add though, on Yasmin, I bled for almost 2 months straight when I first started it. However, since then, my periods last approx 3 days, 4 days max.

And realistically - all pills have side affects. All pills can cause blood clots (particularly if you are a smoker like me). No pill works for every woman.

#12 IsolaBella

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Yes all pills cause blood clots but Yaz, Yasmin and Dianne did so at four times those of other Pills. That is why even though I have low BP and am non smoker my Dr recommended I change.

Edited by lsolaBella, 03 February 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#13 jo-v

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

I'm on Yasmin and it suits me fine, didn't make me gain weight like others seemed to.

#14 jo-v

Dp

Edited by jo-v, 03 February 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#15 jo-v

Tp

Edited by jo-v, 03 February 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#16 jo-v

Qp  wacko.gif

Edited by jo-v, 03 February 2013 - 06:48 PM.

#17 ~Supernova~

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 03/02/2013, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes all pills cause blood clots but Yaz, Yasmin and Dianne did so at four times those of other Pills. That is why even though I have low BP and am non smoker my Dr recommended I change.

Do you have links? I have read some studies, but others say that the higher number of women on these popular pills will inevitably result in skewed side effect figures in comparison.

#18 chickendrumstick

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

Levlen works well for me...my mood is much better on it and no  babies/weight gain/bleeding etc. I've been on it for seven years.

#19 Apageintime

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Diane works for me.
Yaz was terrible for my skin.

#20 jobo77

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

I am back on Levlen which is what I was on pre babies. I love that I can skip my period (according to the GP 2 years straight if I wanted but I haven't been game enough to go past about 3 cycles). My libido is pretty much non-existent though but not sure if thats the pill or just having a 3 and 1 year old... unsure.gif  I was on it pre kids for about 7 years, maybe more, and had no issues with libido which makes me unsure if I can blame it this time around!

#21 IsolaBella

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Just going by what my Dr told me.

US FDA has summary of data

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm257164.htm

#22 Velvetta

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

deleted because I googled

Edited by Velvetta, 03 February 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#23 erindiv

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

I've been on Levlen for about 8 years now with short breaks each time I had a baby. Never got pregnant while taking it, even when I once missed four in a row (was sick).

No difficulty concieving when I came off it either, within 3 cycles with DD and first cycle with DS.

I skip periods regularly but try to avoid doing it more than twice in a row or I get breakthrough bleeding.

#24 Velvetta

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

Anyone on Femcon Fe? I googled and it sounds good too.

#25 désir d'amour

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

i've been skipping periods almost completely for near-on a decade huh.gif

Including the year I was on depo and it never showed up, even though I never had my next injection "on time"

I keep meaning to do it at the end of the box, but there's always something coming up that I'd rather not have it for, so it doesn't happen ninja.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ek-houseofmagic-thumb

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.