Where do your kids play (at home)
And when did that change?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Maniacal_laugh

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

I have one child who is 2.5. At the moment she mostly plays in the lounge, as that is where we keep all her toys (and we can supervise while cooking etc).  DH and I are wondering if we should develop a playroom upstairs at some point. Or do your children prefer to play in their bedroom, or where they can be near you? We are expecting another child in a few months (so there will be two to share the playspace eventually). Interested in others' experiences.

#2 ~Supernova~

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

My kids have a toyroom...which rarely gets used. They play everywhere, my room, their rooms, the kitchen, but mostly outside. The whole line of sight thing doesn't stress me out, I know if it all goes quiet...something bad is happening lol.

#3 FeralCrazyMum

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

DS has never really played in his bedroom. He generally plays in the loungeroom. Or the kitchen. Or my bedroom. Generally wherever I am at the time  rolleyes.gif

#4 belinda1976

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

When they were younger I use to allow my DD's to play in the lounge area as I could keep an eye on them but now that their older it's mainly their bedrooms.  TBH I try to encourage them to play in their bedrooms and that's where they seem to like to play as all their toys are there.  They are quite happy to play by themselves a lot of the time.

I would so love them to have a toy room though!

Edited by belinda1976, 05 February 2013 - 09:04 AM.

#5 mombasa

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

My kids have a toy room which they prefer to use as a toy storage facility and would rather drag all the toys out and spread them from one end of the house to the other.

#6 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

He plays anywhere in the house or outside out the back. He is 15 months old and has free reign of the house, except toilet and laundry. Our house is very small though.

#7 Madnesscraves

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

I turned the dining room into a toy room and moved dining table out into living area. It was big enough for that. It meant the toys stayed in the room, I could see them in living and kitchen area and not worry too much. She does play in other areas of the house sure, but her toys remain in playroom. original.gif

#8 tres-chic

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

My three roam all around like a destruction squad.

They predominantly hang out in the loungeroom where the TV is. Our house is 'upside down' with bedrooms downstairs and living area upstairs which makes playing in their rooms difficult - although they do get sent there when they're in time out, they then wander into our room and mess it up!

They spend a fair bit of time outside too, in the backyard.

#9 Wahwah

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (mombasa @ 05/02/2013, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My kids have a toy room which they prefer to use as a toy storage facility and would rather drag all the toys out and spread them from one end of the house to the other.

Mine too. The toy room is where the toys sleep at night (can also be found sleeping under couch, under table, in bookshelf, bathroom and so on). The rest of the time every square centimetre of the lounge, hall and kitchen is dedicated to kid crap.

I think they just like to be near the one they love most, although I would be quite happy for them to be somewhere else, along with the lego, ponies, etc.

#10 IVL

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

We have an open plan living room in at the back of the house which is where our kitchen is. This is where the kids toys are and a big sofa (that has some removable washable covers), we have just put a study nook in the corner for homeowrk and using the computer.

We like to keep them out of the formal lounge and dining room and have only books in their bedroom as I prefer to keep that just for sleeping. We are lucky to have full view of the backyard and there is an undercover courtyard just out the bifold doors, so their messy play happens outside.

#11 Especially*Feral*

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

DS is 2.5 ad plays anywhere and everywhere. Not always supervised. He has a toybox on the back courtyard, in the loungeroom and a few toys in his bedroom. He mostly plays outside though. We have a sunroom at the back of the house that has my office/sewing room, so i can sit and do some sewing and hear/see him play in the backyard.

#12 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

Right now they are playing in the kitchen/dining area, while I sit here at the table, the sliding doors at the back open onto the courtyard so they are coming in and out playing on scooters/bikes then come in and play cars and toys for a while.

They have toys in the living room but rarely play in there because it's at the other end of the house and no-one spends much time in there, they like to be where we are.

They have books and quiet time toys like leappad reading books in their bedroom too but they mostly get played with at night after their baths.

#13 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

DD has free roam of the house apart from bathroom/toilet.
Her toys I like them to live in her bedroom or her 'toy corner' in the lounge.
Sadly its a failed effort 99.9% of the time.
Toy room is my dream one day

#14 halcyondays

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

I think, at that age, kids like to play where they can keep an eye on you. So currently, play on the back verandah, in the living room and in the kitchen and in the laundry if I am there.
I dream of the day they will play with their things in their rooms for long periods of time.

#15 josh2003

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

We have just built an extension which includes a large playroom, so they both (3 and 9 year old boys) play in there now. We also have a TV in there so they can play Wii/Xbox and watch TV without taking over the main living area. It's particularly good when we have people over because they all get so loud!

I like having a separate play area so that they can have their own area where they can build lego or a train set and leave it and come back to it without having to pack up and start from scratch each time. It's an absolute mess, but I don't mind because the rest of the house remains tidy.

We have french doors dividing the play room from the main living area, so we can close them if they're noisy, but can still see them to make sure they're safe. The room also opens up to the back yard with bi-folds, so when the weather is nice, we open them up and they can go in and out as they choose, usually alternating between trampoline/basketball/bikes and playing something on Xbox.

#16 BadCat

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

I always just let them play anywhere except the laundry and my bedroom.

They mostly chose the loungeroom though.

#17 More than a Mother

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

We have a play mat opposite the kitchen where he mostly plays. He has a play room, but will only play in it if someone is with him (he's 4).

He only has books in his bedroom - no playing in there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.