Young boy in swimming change room
No, its not a vent, just a WDYT?

• Please log in to reply
473 replies to this topic

#1 sandy_1985

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Don’t worry this isn’t a thread about a gripe about opposite sex kids in changed rooms. I just want some opinions on the following scenario.

I was in the change rooms today at the local pool.  After my swim I go to get changed for my run home, and in the change room is a mum and her about 6-7ish y.o. boy. Now I’m not too concerned about removing clothes, drying myself and then getting dressed in public change rooms (and won’t consider the change cubicles as they are gross).

My dilemma is what is appropriate; should you wait for the young boy to leave to get changed or just get changed anyway and they can just deal with it. What do you think?  unsure.gif

For the record, I did wait for them to leave...dam kid felt like he took ages to get changed. The change room was just about empty. Apart for the mum and boy, there was another lady changing her baby.

#2 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

I would just get changed...I don't think it's an issue, I think most of us know how to get changed  with fairly minimal amounts of exposure, you know, towel around your trunk while you take your wet swimmers off, undies on...that type of thing, it's not like you would stand there talking to the young lad in full frontal nudity....

Edited by Lucretia Borgia, 03 February 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#3 elizabethany

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

I would have just gotten changed.  If mum didn't want him to see it, she should have put him into one of the change cubicles.

#4 BeYOUtiful

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

I always get changed with my towel wrapped around me, so would have done the same.
I always envy others that can just get on with it (without a towel), would be so much easier.

#5 CurlyTops

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

My DS is around that age and doesn't really care about bodies just yet.  Clothes, naked, he doesn't give a toss and wouldn't care if he was in the ladies change and there were naked ladies around.  I'd be more worried he'd make a comment.

#6 GoneWithTheWhinge

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

I'd have just carried on. I usually change behind a towel but know of many women who happily strip and then body lotion up before dressing so there is often a fair bit of flesh on show where I go.

If the boys mum had an issue with him seeing the nude female body then that is for her to deal with. There is no shame in nakedness and as children are naturally curious it would be expected that he would look.

#7 Holidayromp

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

This is a tough one because I don't think school aged boys should be allowed in the woman's change room.  But then there is going to be every excuse in the book to as why they should be there.

I once changed with a 9yo boy (guestimate of age) in the woman's change room despite the fact there were separate family change cubicles. There were no cubicle to change in and quite frankly that is far too old to have in an opposite sex change room.  I complained and apparently I wasn't the only one because soon after that a sign was erected cutting boys of school age from the woman's change room.

#8 Kreme

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

My son is 5 and at our local pool we have lots of women who are comfortable standing around naked. Recently someone applied moisturiser to her entire body while naked in the middle of an extremely crowded change room. I figure if I don't make a big deal of it, then DS won't either.
If I take him into the female change room I would never expect anyone to change their behaviour to accommodate him. People are there to get changed and that's what they should do  original.gif

#9 sandy_1985

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Ahhh, Thanks for the replies.  biggrin.gif
Glad to hear I'm over thinking it!

#10 laridae

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

My local pool has signs up that if they are 5 or over - they have to go into the family change room or the change room of the same sex.
A school aged boy, I'd wait I think.  A younger one, probably not.  I get changed with a towel around me regardless  though.

#11 BeYOUtiful

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

I know i wouldn't be happy to leave my 6yr old outside of the change rooms whilst I got changed.  So I think school age is a bit 'iffy' in that regard.

#12 Marley&Me

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

My DS7 would think nothing of it as he's not at that age yet to notice or care. I've started making him use the men's now, only because I was worried about the girls becoming self conscious as they seem to be more aware or self conscious at a younger age iykwim!

#13 BetteBoop

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

I wouldn't get naked in front of a small child.

I'm sure many parents would be upset at their child seeing a strange woman naked, no matter how easygoing some on EB might be.

I would go into a change room or toilet cubicle.

#14 Kreme

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (Beetlebop @ 03/02/2013, 09:35 PM)
15298173[/url]']

I'm sure many parents would be upset at their child seeing a strange woman naked, no matter how easygoing some on EB might be.

Do you really think it is reasonable to take a child into a public change room and then get upset if they see someone naked??

#15 BetteBoop

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (kreme @ 03/02/2013, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you really think it is reasonable to take a child into a public change room and then get upset if they see someone naked??

I don't know if it's reasonable or not. I just believe many people would feel uncomfortable at their child seeing a totally naked stranger.

There are people who think breastfeeding is a disgusting display and these people aren't even uncommon, so yes, I would err on the side of thinking while people take a boy into the change room, they aren't expecting him to see total nudity.

#16 EssentialBludger

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

I personally don't like 7yo+ boys in the girls change rooms, I would feel uncomfortable and my 8yo DD would feel uncomfortable and wouldn't change in front of a boy her own age.

#17 Monket

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

My son is 6 in a couple of days and he has been uncomfortable with adult nudity for a few months now.  Of course, it may just be that DH and I have hideous bodies!  Because of this, I would wait or change in a toilet cubicle.

#18 Julie3Girls

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

I would have gone ahead and got changed. If the mother didn't want the child seeing naked women, then she shouldn't bring him into the ladies change room.

If I'd had my girls with me, I probably would have got all of us to wait, or have got them changed one at a time, so I could provide them with a bit of privacy with a towel. DD1 wouldn't have cared, but DD2 probably would refuse to change with him there anyway. She wouldn't have seen him as child, but as a boy old enough to be at school with her. DD3 probably wouldn't have minded, but from past experience last year, would have been questioning the rules, since boys at school aren't allowed in the girls toilets LOL

Then she shouldn't bring the child into a CHANGE ROOM. Her choice.

#19 babychacha

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

My DS is 5 and I'm a sole parent. He's coming into the change room with me, end of story.

There are heaps of women in there that walk around naked, half naked, have convesations with just their knickers on. I have no problem with that at all.

I was suprised to find two boys (older than 5)  commenting on me as I quickly slipped my bra on....their mother chastised them a bit. It was a quick drop of the towel, I was facing the wall and they were not used to it at all.  The mother was lucky it wasn't a 'normal' day, with all the brazillions walking around.....

#20 laridae

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (babychacha @ 03/02/2013, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My DS is 5 and I'm a sole parent. He's coming into the change room with me, end of story.

Until when?    Until he's 7, 10, 12?  You may be ok with him seeing naked women, but maybe the semi-naked women and girls aren't ok with him seeing them.

#21 babychacha

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

I don't know Laridae.....but given he has already been a victim of grooming, he is coming in with me.

#22 JECJEC

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (Julie3Girls @ 03/02/2013, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would have gone ahead and got changed. If the mother didn't want the child seeing naked women, then she shouldn't bring him into the ladies change room.

Basically this.

#23 FearsomeFeralFreak

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

I would get changed. Who cares if a seven year old boy sees you naked, he probably doesnt.

I am the mother of boys and a girl and do most things with the kids by myself. There is no way in hell I am ever going to leave an under 8 by themselves while my daughter and I get changed.
I see these threads quite often- people embarrassed or their daughter embarrassed about a 5, 6 or 7 year old boy seeing their bits. Sorry but my sons safety trumps you/your daughters squeamishness about being seen naked.  We will be modest and quiet, but thats it. If there is a family room we will use it but if there is not we will use the ladies.

Edited by challice, 03 February 2013 - 09:05 PM.

#24 Nataliah

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

How do people feel about the same situation reversed? i.e. a father taking his daughter into the mens changerooms?

#25 76 others

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

I would've just got on with it too. But I do the change under the towel dressing.

On a side note, my DD7 would be mortified to go into the changerooms to dress and have a 7 year old male peer in there. I think that needs to be thought of when parents take the opposite gender into changerooms over a certain age. She will happily get naked to change in front of friends but would get upset if there was a boy from school in there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.