whats the difference?
between shopping 'local' and the big chains?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Feralishous

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

The only difference I can see is that the IGA supermarkets are franchises, rather than owned and operated by a parent company (like Woolworths).
They all employ local people, they seem to use similar supply sources, ethically they have negatives and positives.
What am I missing?

#2 (feral)epg

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

IGA's seem to source from a wider range of suppliers, and it seems to vary from store to store.  
They don't push you to their own store brands quite as much.
They don't have the size to lean quite so heavily on their suppliers.
The quality of food varies hugely from store to store - my local seems to stock great fruit and veg, the one in the next suburb is appalling.
I THINK they're owned by Metway but I'm not sure how much profit stays with franchise owners vs  going to shareholders.  

I try to avoid Coles and Woolies just because of the market domination thing and also Woolworths involvement in the gambling industry but I don't know if IGA is necessarily any better ethically.  It probably matters more WHAT you buy in each product line than where you buy it, but that said my local fruit and veg store is privately (and locally) owned and sources local (WA) produce as much as possible plus stocks a fair amount of organic /ethical products so I prefer to shop there even if it is a bit more expensive.

#3 Feral Alpacas

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

IGA are owned by Metcash.

#4 zande

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

My local IGA has terrible fruit & veg and their prices are much higher and their range much more limited, so I always shop at Woolies, but will use IGA on weekends if I have run out of something or need something in a hurry (coz it's closer).

#5 Jembo

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

For our local IGA aside from the great customer service (they still have packers who even help you to your car) they stock local products and produce from close by as well.

They are locally owned by the same people.  The lady would have to be in her 80's but you always find her at the store, and she always says hi and if you ever look like you cant find something, there is someone to help.

They give back bucket loads to the local community every year with various programs, and if you go in and ask them for a donation towards fundraising they always help out

Mine is less expensive than the big ones and they also aren't forcing me to buy their brand because they stock nothing else.

But for me the old fashioned customer service, packing my bags and helping me to the car when I need it that wins everytime original.gif

#6 Soontobegran

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

Our 2 local IGA's are over priced and have poor quality fresh food. I only use them in an emergency but could add $50 to a weekly shop if I used them all the time.
Definitely no bag packers/carriers and smiley faces at ours either sad.gif

#7 pruehp

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

IGA are not owned by Metcash. They are independently owned, but are supplied by Metcash. Metcash bought out Franklins but have sold the stores to individual operators or consortiums, at which time they were rebranded back to IGA.

#8 Spring Chickadee

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

I have 2 stores both 10 minutes away. One is terrible, I've had mouldy or off food to many times to bother going back and the store is dirty.

The other one has loads of locally owned produce and bakes their own bread, the store is clean and the staff are lovely.

So they vary greatly.

#9 JRA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (epg @ 03/02/2013, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IGA's seem to source from a wider range of suppliers, and it seems to vary from store to store.  
They don't push you to their own store brands quite as much.
They don't have the size to lean quite so heavily on their suppliers.
The quality of food varies hugely from store to store - my local seems to stock great fruit and veg, the one in the next suburb is appalling.

I agree. Some are crap, some are great. The theory is that they can choose product appropriate for their locals. the one that was near our old house was awesome.

QUOTE (pruehp @ 04/02/2013, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IGA are not owned by Metcash. They are independently owned, but are supplied by Metcash. Metcash bought out Franklins but have sold the stores to individual operators or consortiums, at which time they were rebranded back to IGA.

#10 MahnaMahna

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Our local IGA has been open for 2 years. It has had 4 owners already. The fresh produce is always crap, they were fined once for re-dating expiration dates on meat that didn't sell and they are always over priced.

The current owners seem to be doing a little better with the fresh produce but prices are still much higher than the local coles.

#11 SeaPrincess

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

We have 4 IGAs nearish to us.  One keeps old-fashioned trading hours (9-5.30 weekdays, 9-5 Saturday and shut on Sunday), 2 are really good - huge range, good fruit and veg, local dairy products, excellent fresh deli and one has a Lenards inside it, and the 4th is dingy and dodgy but offers home delivery (I get my weekend paper there while DD has dancing lessons)

I wouldn't do my weekly shop there, but I know I can get anything I want at one of the 2 good ones.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.