Hand Held Mixer

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 glasnost

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

Looking for recommendations for a hand-held mixer, mainly for making cakes. We purchased the Kenwood kmix from DJs however my mum has one and she has tried to talk me out of it as she finds it very heavy. So we are looking to return it and buy another one.

I don't want a bench top one as we have limited space in our kitchen for storage and it will probably be used once a week fi that for making cakes etc. We are not huge bakers but have been mixing everything by hand and I am sick of getting a dead arm!

Probably looking to spend 100-150 but willing to pay more if it is really awesome and will last a few years.

#2 CountryFeral

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Nip down to Vinnies and see if there are any 70's hand helds there.

I was given a hand held mixer as a birthday present in 1978 when I was 7 - I still use it now!

I have had modern ones come and go around me but this little champ is still going strong!  
I also got one from my great Aunt when we had to clear out her house, I imagine it was bought the year before or two than mine - my friend has it now and likewise it is still going like a little champ!

They were just made so much better in those days, a little heavier build than a modern one but that is because they used sturdy parts.

If you do go the new path - check the wattage - the bigger the motor the better.

#3 SierraX

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

I've heard the Braun stick mixer is good. Can anyone confirm?

Will be watching this thread with interest.

#4 CountryFeral

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

SierraX - stick mixers are all pretty good (again check the wattage) but they are useless for making cakes/whipping.

You need a set of beaters for that.

#5 Gioiello

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

My Cuisinart ones are brilliant.  Very well built, works beautifully, powerful motor and they have a nifty little box that fits under the motor unit and stores all of the accessories (beaters, whisk, dough hooks and a spatula) and the cord. It isn't too heavy either.

I think we ordered it for about $115 from Peters of Kensington, but you can buy them in many homeware shops like House, Matchbox and possibly Robins Kitchen.

#6 baby*girl

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

I just got the triblade and I just love it.  It practically does everything a processor does.

#7 SierraX

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

CountryMel - thanks, I guess I thought stick mixers and hand mixers did the same thing! Is there an appliance that does the job of a food processor and cake mixer or no (I really am new to this cooking thing)?

The Cuisinart one looks great by the way.

#8 blackcat20

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

I've got the Sunbeam one, it is fantastic. Cream is whipped in only a minute or two. You can often pick it up quite cheaply at Target etc.

#9 *cough*

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (SierraX @ 04/02/2013, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there an appliance that does the job of a food processor and cake mixer or no (I really am new to this cooking thing)?

Thermomix!

#10 MrsLexiK

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (SierraX @ 04/02/2013, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CountryMel - thanks, I guess I thought stick mixers and hand mixers did the same thing! Is there an appliance that does the job of a food processor and cake mixer or no (I really am new to this cooking thing)?

The Cuisinart one looks great by the way.

My food processor can do cake batches and whipping but personally I prefer my stand mixer for cakes and whipping and beating and my processor for slicing, dicing, blending etc.  They both sit pretty on my kitchen bench and I find I use them a lot more this way then if they where in my cupboard.  But that is me, there is a whole world of ladies/men who have brought into the TMX/thermo world that swear by it.  Personally (and I have tried it) I wouldn't buy one because I found it a PITA to actually use and it didn't really save me much time. (Rissotto these days can be done in most rice cookers in the same time.  My rice cooker cost $79 and is a much bigger bowel then the thermo's bowels.  Which means when making rice for a tribe I only need to put in one lot not two which my MIL needs to do)

ETA: my stand mixer can also buy attachments that allow it to mince, shread veg as well.  But same thing, I do prefer to use my food processor to take care of the mincing and the slicing.

Edited by MrsLexiK, 04 February 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#11 CountryFeral

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (SierraX @ 04/02/2013, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I (pre Kitchenaid - sigh...18 months now we've been together) had my awesome little 70's hand held beaters plus a Sunbeam stick blender that came with a mini food processer attachment - plus a whisk attachment that I never ever used - in addition to the stab blender bit.

I do a lot of 'from scratch' cooking and those two were/are enough for me for almost everything.  

#12 glasnost

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Thanks so much for the replies everyone!

QUOTE (countrymel @ 04/02/2013, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nip down to Vinnies and see if there are any 70's hand helds there.

I was given a hand held mixer as a birthday present in 1978 when I was 7 - I still use it now!

I have had modern ones come and go around me but this little champ is still going strong!  
I also got one from my great Aunt when we had to clear out her house, I imagine it was bought the year before or two than mine - my friend has it now and likewise it is still going like a little champ!

They were just made so much better in those days, a little heavier build than a modern one but that is because they used sturdy parts.

If you do go the new path - check the wattage - the bigger the motor the better.

Thanks CountryMel. I think i know the '70s ones you are talking about. They are often "Essential Baby yellow" in colour, right? Think my mum might have had a set when I was little. That is a good idea as I want something that will last.

Gioillo- just checked out the Cuisinart ones- they look great! Like the storage box as I hate is when those little parts get lost in my drawers.  Do you find that it gets heavy?

#13 Gioiello

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

Hi glasnost,

I find it to be quite comfortable in the hand.  It seems to be very well balanced and I don't remember using it and feeling fatigued from holding it.  I'll get it out of the cupboard again tonight and double check for you :-)

#14 Ice Queen

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

I have a KMix and I love it.  Yes, it is heavy but I had never really thought about it.  I love that I put the sugar and butter on to cream and then walk away to get everything else.  I find it makes cake making (or any baking) much quicker than having to hold the hand blender.

If you are just doing occasional baking then a hand mixer is probably fine.  i have a Breville Wizz Mix and it does the job.  Not the same as a stick blender.  I have Russell Hobbs one of those with the blender attachment  (like Countrymel's) and I use it a lot, in fact easily my most used piece of equipment in the cupboard but no good for baking.

#15 DreamFeralisations

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

I understand your space problem!!  I have just gone to check if there is any brand on my little one - lol the brand is "The Price Brand" (made in China) - I got it about 9 years ago for less than $20, to replace the one I had for 15 years prior to that that my brother gave me (and knowing his gift giving, it would have cost less than $20) - goes great guns and whips cream, cakes - gets a bit grunty when it is asked to do too much hard work but easy to clean, two beaters and the main bit, not too cumbersome!!

#16 SisterMaryElephant

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

I have a Braun stickmixer thingy, and a Sunbeam hand mixer which I've had for years and only just caved to buy a standmixer last year.  I recommend both.

#17 Gioiello

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

double checking done... it is a little heavier than my old cheapie from KMart, but not much heavier.  Can you get to a homeware store and try one out? That might help you decide if it will be too heavy.

#18 glasnost

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE (Gioiello @ 05/02/2013, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
double checking done... it is a little heavier than my old cheapie from KMart, but not much heavier.  Can you get to a homeware store and try one out? That might help you decide if it will be too heavy.

I will go to a shop and look at them in real life. Thanks Gioiello and everyone else for your replies!

#19 earth_99

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

I've got a Breville one (~$50) but used the Sunbeam one (~$70) that comes with three sets of attachments (including balloon whisk) and it was far superior. And it comes in pretty 70s colours - butter creams, pale pink etc original.gif highly recommend (wish I had one - good price point for function)

#20 icekool

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

I have the pink Kitchenaid hand mixer. I use it more than my Kitchenaid. My KA is good for big jobs but for small jobs, I like using the hand mixer (less washing).

#21 SeaPrincess

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

I got a Kitchenaid hand beater for Christmas.  Mum got it for me, and she was all over the weight issue when we were looking at them.  It met her "light and comfortable" requirements.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.