Whats your favourite recipe
Building a collection :)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MissButtercup

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

I've really started to get into the baking and was just wondering what everyones favourite and most well used recipe is? So far I think my favourite would have to be this simply Banana Cake recipe below.

Also how do you store all your recipes? Scrapbook?

I've started printing my favourites to a pdf document (as most are from goggling) and saving in a file on my computer.

Would love to see your recipes to help me build a collection of 'go to' recipes and recipes to experiment with. original.gif

Moist Banana Cake

Ingredients

250g soft butter
1 cup castor sugar
3 eggs
3 over-ripe bananas, finely mashed
2 cups self-raising flour

Preparation method
Cream butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in bananas, then sifted flour. Pour into well greased 20cm baba or ring pan, bake at 180°C for about 45 minutes. Stand a few minutes before turning cake onto wire rack to cool.

Edited by MissButtercup, 04 February 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#2 Feral timtam

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Here's my favourite recipe. Because I'm the cook and it's my favourite it's the one that gets made most here
http://www.nzwomansweekly.co.nz/food/recip...-lemon-pudding/

I tend to print out my recipes, laminate them and store them in a ring binder. I also have a back up copy of my favourites saved in digital form and emailed to myself so I never lose them.

I'm also feeling generous. Here's the recipe for my most requested, never before seen online Raspberry and White Chocolate Strudel.

Raspberry and White Chocolate Strudel

Ingredients
Pastry
1 ½ cups plain flour
½ cup water
2 Tablespoons oil
Extra flour for rolling

Filling
450g butter portioned into 50g, 200g and 200g
1 cup breadcrumbs
500g frozen raspberries
300g white chocolate
½ cup slivered almonds

Icing
100g white chocolate
1 cup icing sugar
water

Method
Pastry
sift flour into a bowl and mix in oil and water
Turn onto clean board and knead until smooth
Wrap in cling film and rest for two hours

Filling
melt 50g of butter in pan and toast breadcrumbs in it. Allow to cool
In food processor process white chocolate until small evenly sized chunks are formed

Icing
Melt chocolate in microwave.
Stir in icing sugar and gradually add water to form a smooth paste.
Microwave on high in 30 second bursts, stirring between until smooth and runny.

Assembly
On a clean table sprinkle the extra flour evenly over entire table
Place pastry on table and roll out as thin as possible
Stretch pastry out to ½mm thickness by gently lifting and pulling from underneath the edges
Melt 200g of butter and brush over entire surface of pastry
Sprinkle breadcrumbs, raspberries and chocolate over pastry.
Melt remaining 200g of butter.
Taking one edge of pastry gently lift and start to roll into a log, brushing with melted butter as you go.
Bake at 200º for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
Allow to cool.
Once cooled prepare icing and drizzle over surface.

#3 MissButtercup

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for sharing tamjk! Now you haven't left out a secret ingredient from your secret recipe have you? wink.gif that's what my mum does to me all the time with her special recipes. lol

It sounds delicious, will definitely be having a crack at that one for desert. I haven't had a go at my own pastry yet, any tips for a beginner?

#4 Funnington

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

Definitely keep the basic sweet muffin recipe from a thread I 'bumped up' yesterday.  It's a fantastic, moist (and easy) base for fantastic muffins.

When I get some time, I'll type up the recipe I have used for about 10 years for chocolate chip cookies.  These are crunchy so, if you prefer the chewy type, it may not be for you.

Other than that, I'm not much of a baker - I'm more of a savoury cook and only just starting to take an interest myself (and be more patient following recipes!).  So, I'll be watching this thread too.

I highly recommend finding yourself a good carrot cake, chocolate cake and basic vanilla cup cake recipe too.  (I'm yet to find those).

#5 MissButtercup

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

Thanks funnington, I am open to savoury recipes too. original.gif

I just made my first batch of brownies and by goodness their sweet! I think I am going to have to hide them from the kids or I'll have to duct tape them to a chair to stop them bouncing off the walls. lol

#6 MissButtercup

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Anyone else? I am after a good chocolate cake recipe that's not too rich too...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.