Boys in Ladies Toilets
spin-off from the swimming pool thread

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 knickerless

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

What are your opinions here?

My son is 9 and he comes with me into the female toilet. I can't say that I have ever had any comments made but when talking with a group of friends a few people expressed surprise at this....my rationale is that (unlike swimming pool change rooms) there is really no opportunity for anyone to be made to feel uncomfortable, everything is done behind closed doors.

He does go into the male toilets alone occasionally and I will encourage him to do so more but I feel much more comfortable all going together (I have a daughter too).

What do you think?

#2 JRA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

I don't see a big deal, as you said women are not naked in there

#3 BadCat

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

No biggie.  I don't pee with the cubicle door open.

#4 JapNFeral

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

People pee in women's toilets behind a closed door - so I don't see an issue. Different to a changing room.

#5 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

Women's toilets have cubicles with locking doors. Not an issue at all.

#6 Exhaustedbuthappy

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

I use the disabled toilets to change/toilet DS1.

#7 sāta kōrsa

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

Women and girls aren't naked out in the open there and everyone's doing their business behind a closed door, so it should be fine.

#8 BetteBoop

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (O TheHugeManatee @ 05/02/2013, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No biggie.  I don't pee with the cubicle door open.

Really? How odd.

#9 Soontobegran

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

Not an issue at all, cubicles mean privacy.

QUOTE (Exhaustedbuthappy @ 05/02/2013, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use the disabled toilets to change/toilet DS1.

You are having a lend aren't you? original.gif

#10 Fyn Angelot

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (knickerless @ 05/02/2013, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my rationale is that (unlike swimming pool change rooms) there is really no opportunity for anyone to be made to feel uncomfortable, everything is done behind closed doors.

I disagree, actually.  I have seen a number of instances where cubicle doors have not been closed or fully closed.  I can only guess at the reasons.  I have also been the teenaged girl washing my skirt over the hand basin after a period disaster (and I'm sure I'm not the only one in history).

It's also a space in which, because there's an expectation of privacy, women can do things such as adjust veils which they might not do in a more public space.

I think by your son's age, he should wait outside for you and use the gents for himself.

#11 Feral_Pooks

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Not a big deal, though I'd be hoping that by 9 the transition to using the men's was well and truly underway. There is no way at 9 I would have gone into the men's with dad! I know boys can feel a bit differently but then again, there may come a time where the thought of a school mate seeing him walk out of the ladies room motivates a full changeover wink.gif

#12 StopTheGoats

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

No issues here shrug.gif

#13 Peppery

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Wouldn't phase me. A shopping centre I frequent doesn't have a parents room, on more than one occasion a father has bought his DD in to use the ladies toilets. No one seemed outwardly appalled

#14 Tobias'smum

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

He should be going to mens alone at that age like PP women should expect not to have males in the female toilets past year 1 age  if you are worried wait out side

#15 sāta kōrsa

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

I hadn't thought of that Ange Vert.  If the mother isn't comfortable leaving the boy outside, maybe she could pop her head in to make sure it was ok first.

#16 Frockme

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

It wouldn't bother me in normal circumstances. I do however feel that he's old enough to go to the loo by himself with you outside.  original.gif  

I wonder how he feels going to the ladies as well. I know mine would be horrified, and told me so.

#17 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Mine (6), now goes to the men's ....in some circumstances I'm not thrilled about it, we were at Town Hall station the other day and ..I don't know.....it looked dodgy .....there were some - characters ...anyway, I just stood outside, he took his time (a poo..why DS? why...? When I told you to do one that morning at home....?)...at one point I had to call in "are you ok H?" ...one of my so called dodgy "characters" then came out and smiled saying "yeh he's ok love, he's just washing his hands" ...so you know, not dodgy after all ....but guess its our job  to worry....

#18 Chocolate Addict

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

I would think 9yo would be old enough to wait outside. My son used to come in the cubicle with me until about 6yo now he waits outside the cubicle so I can see his feet.

I would think by 9yo he would be old enough to wait outside the toilets.
I know they can't see anything with the doors shut etc but as a PPer said, what if there was things that needed to be done over the sink that don't need to be seen by young boys?

#19 FluffyOscar

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (Lucretia Borgia @ 05/02/2013, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine (6), now goes to the men's ....in some circumstances I'm not thrilled about it, we were at Town Hall station the other day and ..I don't know.....it looked dodgy .....there were some - characters ...anyway, I just stood outside, he took his time (a poo..why DS? why...? When I told you to do one that morning at home....?)...at one point I had to call in "are you ok H?" ...one of my so called dodgy "characters" then came out and smiled saying "yeh he's ok love, he's just washing his hands" ...so you know, not dodgy after all ....but guess its our job  to worry....

Gorgeous story! What an independent little man you have there.

#20 knickerless

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (Pooks_ @ 05/02/2013, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there may come a time where the thought of a school mate seeing him walk out of the ladies room motivates a full changeover wink.gif

Haven't had this happen yet but yes, good point!

QUOTE (Tobias'smum @ 05/02/2013, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He should be going to mens alone at that age like PP women should expect not to have males in the female toilets past year 1 age  if you are worried wait out side

Really? You would send a four year old into the toilets alone?

QUOTE (Malaya @ 05/02/2013, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It wouldn't bother me in normal circumstances. I do however feel that he's old enough to go to the loo by himself with you outside.  original.gif  

I wonder how he feels going to the ladies as well. I know mine would be horrified, and told me so.

My son is a young 9, had speech and language delay and some behaviours which have meant I have waited until he is ready to start going into the mens toilets alone. I am not dragging him into the ladies against his will original.gif

#21 Feral_Pooks

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

Come to think of other EB threads... Don't people clean diva cups and pee with the door open to watch their kids?

#22 sa5ha

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

Wouldn't phase me in the slightest. But I think I'd be just fine with unisex toilets as long as everyone did their business behind closed doors!

#23 knickerless

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (Lucretia Borgia @ 05/02/2013, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yes, the dreaded public toilet poo - my son is especially fond of these! I think he finds shopping relaxing!

#24 Jembo

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

For me it depends where we are as to what I make DS9 do.  AT home where we live and he goes on his own or we all use the parent room, again depending where, we hae some dodgy toilet buildings.

Am happy for him to wait outside the toilets where we live.

Head to the City (Perth), and whole new story, if we cant find a parents room they come with me and stand inside the toilet and wait for me.

#25 Straight*No*Chaser

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

The only problem I see is the embarrassment caused should they run into a female classmate. It has happened with my 7 year old before. The poor girl was a lot more embarrassed than him

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.