Funny places to find errors
spelling/grammar

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 Dionysus

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Am enrolling in a TAFE course and about to register on the website.

The pack that came in the mail includes a Training Plan listing all the competencies required.

One of them is a 'Pre-Course kTracer' with a title of...

Identify literacey skills requirements          

roll2.gif

#2 BetteBoop

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

If you can't spell literacey, you sure as sh*te can't teach it!

#3 Feral_Pooks

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

Oh dear!

The one that makes me postal is "Wendys hotdog's"

#4 Frau Farbissina

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

I worked in an office that had a Marketing and Communication section. They would advertise their services internally. I sent them an email one day to tell them they had spelt "Comunication" incorrectly in one of their ads.

#5 SnazzyFeral

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

"12 items or less." I don't know why it gets to me but it does.

#6 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

I had a hair curling wand thingy (think like a searing hot piece of metal with spikes sticking out of it). On the instructions, the r and n in 'burn' had obviously been misread during some editing, with the rn turning into an m, so all over the thing it had in big letters "WARNING: Bum hazard." and in the detailed instructions, "wrap hair around shaft of wand, taking care not to bum yourself."

I still giggle thinking about it.

Edited by Alacritous~Andy, 05 February 2013 - 09:21 PM.

#7 delli

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (SnazzySass @ 05/02/2013, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is wrong with that?  I dont get it?

#8 squirt081

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (Alacritous~Andy @ 05/02/2013, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"WARNING: Bum hazard." and in the detailed instructions, "wrap hair around shaft of wand, taking care not to bum yourself."

I still giggle thinking about it.

roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif

Edited by squirt081, 05 February 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#9 au*lit

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (delli @ 05/02/2013, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is wrong with that?  I dont get it?

It should be Twelve items or fewer.

AA that made me LOL.

#10 au*lit

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

You REALLY don't want to bum yourself with a hot curling wand.  laugh.gif

#11 Emily of New Moon

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (SnazzySass @ 05/02/2013, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad I'm not the only one.  This gets me too!

(Snazzy, it should be 12 items or fewer.

Fewer for "countable" nouns, less for "non-countable" nouns such as water, sugar, sand, etc)

Edited by cluckyluckyducky, 05 February 2013 - 09:37 PM.

#12 bailee

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

I got a job application from someone who said one of her strengths was "attention to detail" and then she spelt her name wrong in her signature. Yes it was wrong, turned out to be a completely different word spelt incorrrectly - and she had spelt her name correctly in her email address directly under her signature.

#13 DreamFeralisations

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

When I was at uni studying communications, there was a textbook that was titled (deliberately) "The Media is in the Massage"

#14 Academic

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

I remember pointing out a spelling error in a 'correct spelling and grammar' criterion for an assessment at high school. I felt very smart!

I've been known to mark up menus at restaurants with my editing pen. They are so often full of errors, even at high-end places. At least once, I've returned and they've taken my corrections on board!

#15 SnazzyFeral

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (cluckyluckyducky @ 05/02/2013, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glad I'm not the only one.  This gets me too!

(Snazzy, it should be 12 items or fewer.

Fewer for "countable" nouns, less for "non-countable" nouns such as water, sugar, sand, etc)

I am glad I am not the only one. I know why it is incorrect but I am not sure why it annoys me so much. My DP will wait in the longer queue rather than here me tell him it is wrong one more time lol.

#16 Emily of New Moon

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE (SnazzySass @ 05/02/2013, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am glad I am not the only one. I know why it is incorrect but I am not sure why it annoys me so much. My DP will wait in the longer queue rather than here me tell him it is wrong one more time lol.

Oops ... I meant delli ... and I think I married your DP original.gif

#17 silver-rain

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

I saw an episode of Dr Phil advertised the other day about "Mother-in-laws"  mad.gif

And not incorrect, but a funny warning label, the wrist strap on my old Phil and Ted pram warned me against sending the pram on an unmanned flight, taking it on a marine exploration or going luge racing. Made me laugh every time I read it, those crazy New Zealanders!

#18 Le-a

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (SnazzySass @ 05/02/2013, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does your DP "here" you, or "hear" you? wink.gif

#19 Le-a

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

A resumé I saw recently had "barrister" instead of "barista" listed as one of the skills. Umm, I object?!

#20 Feralishous

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

QUOTE (silver-rain @ 05/02/2013, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And not incorrect, but a funny warning label, the wrist strap on my old Phil and Ted pram warned me against sending the pram on an unmanned flight, taking it on a marine exploration or going luge racing. Made me laugh every time I read it, those crazy New Zealanders!

ROFL!

#21 mini mac

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE (Le-a @ 05/02/2013, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does your DP "here" you, or "hear" you? wink.gif

That's what I was wondering too...  wink.gif

I second restaurant menus being annoying.

Oh, and even worse reading newspaper articles!! I'm not perfect with my grammar or spelling but things like 'a' horrendous crime irk me.

How is anyone learning when there are errors everywhere!!

And bought and brought being used incorrectly. Over and over and over. You didn't buy something when you brought it over from home did you?? Especially when its a well educated person, that is particularly frustrating!

Lastly, anyone who says (or 'that' says!!! Arghhh, another one that annoys me, it's soo wrong!) anythinK, nothinK, somethinK!!!

Edited by Mini Mac, 06 February 2013 - 04:28 AM.

#22 Fat Amy

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:42 AM

Yesterday I was reading the minutes from our work meeting. It said, back chatting and swearing is allowed and will be tolerated. Lol

#23 LifesGood

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

QUOTE (au*lit @ 05/02/2013, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It should be Twelve items or fewer.

AA that made me LOL.

Actually it can be number 12 not the word twelve. Numbers one through ten should be words, beyond that the numbers themselves are fine.

#24 ~Bean~

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:45 AM

at the local massage place in my local Westfield they have a sign which reads

"we can help you relive your pain".

Hahahaha

#25 Mama8

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

I see them everywhere but spelling mistakes are very common on Sky news, in the little ticker at the bottom.

My Ds got a merit award for improvement in spelling.
When I showed DH we laughed and grabbed a pen then corrected it.
Then gave it to Ds to take back to school to ask for a new one.

It said: awarded to BL for improvement in speling. laughing2.gif

The teacher printed him a new one and send DH a little note thanking him for correcting her

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.