Whiter Brighter Teeth!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 FurryTongue

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

Had a very expensive trip to the dentist today to do a couple of fillings! Anyway we got talking and I mentioned I would like to have whiter teeth. The dentist suggested I have moulds made in which I apply a whitening solution.
Has anyone done this and was it worth the money? How long did it last? I do not have PHI and was quoted $500. Is this reasonable?
Thanks in advance!

#2 FurryTongue

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

Anyone???

#3 ladybird01

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

From what I gather, it depends on whether your teeth are discoloured from smoking, red wine, tea/coffee drinking etc or if they are naturally carry a more yellowish hue.

I did the laser whitening in the dentist's office about 8 years ago and, for me, it was a huge waste of money and I wish I hadn't let him talk me into it!!

Couldn't notice any colour difference with my teeth at all!! I ended up $800 out of pocket and left with teeth so sensitive I couldn't talk to people if there was a wind blowing because it would hurt so much!!

Maybe the technique has changed since I did it???

EDITED TO ADD: Sorry - didn't read that you were asking if the price was reasonable, not others' experiences. Ignore my post!!

Edited by ladybird01, 06 February 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#4 Froger

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

I asked my dentist about this recently. He doesn't recommend it as he says it can make your teeth very sensitive, and it is not a lasting solution. Apparently it only lasts for 6 months or so. To keep the teeth white you need to keep doing it.

#5 Betty_D

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Hi OP

I can't remember how much I paid, but I used a similar technique and the results were pretty good

#6 lottie9

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

A friend of mine paid about that to do the trays and bleach - her teeth look great and she said it was very easy.

Not sure how long it lasts but part of the deal is unlimited free top-ups of the bleach gel.

#7 FurryTongue

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

I didn't ask the dentist about the possible side effects of sensitivity. My teeth currently aren't sensitive at all.
My teeth are yellow due to ten years smoking prior to kids and strong coffee since having kids! They aren't really, really yellow but yellow enough for me to feel a bit self-conscious about my smile.
I would really like to have whiter teeth. Is this the only option or are there others? I don't know if I am brave enough to do over the counter remedies.

#8 GreenEyedGirl

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

Dont know how stained/yellow your teeth are but a bit of lemon juice on your toothbrush and backing soda can whiten them. Just make sure you do not do it too often.
Have you tried any of treatments you can just buy? I got one once and it worked pretty well and was not that expensive.

#9 DamiansMama

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

I recently went to the US and bought some over the counter Crest Teeth Whitening strips. Very inexpensive and the results were great.

I'd probably try something like this before paying that much $.

#10 Guest_~Coffee~_*

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (fefe76 @ 06/02/2013, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dont know how stained/yellow your teeth are but a bit of lemon juice on your toothbrush and backing soda can whiten them. Just make sure you do not do it too often.
Have you tried any of treatments you can just buy? I got one once and it worked pretty well and was not that expensive.

Avoid lemon juice as it removes the enamel on your teeth. Also baking soda needs to be used with caution as it is abrasive, it also does not whiten your teeth it is for bad breath  original.gif

#11 Guest_divineM_*

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (~Coffee~ @ 08/02/2013, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Avoid lemon juice as it removes the enamel on your teeth. Also baking soda needs to be used with caution as it is abrasive, it also does not whiten your teeth it is for bad breath  original.gif

I use baking soda with my dentist's blessing maybe a couple of times a month and it does help with whitening the teeth - in my case at least. can't comment on lemon juice.

#12 beckles5

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:03 AM

My dentist also does not recommend teeth whitening.  I used to use lemon juice-not sure why- but have noticed that it wore away some of the enamel.  But this may be just because I am getting older but seems coincidental to me.

#13 FurryTongue

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hmmm not quite sure what to do. I have another appointment with him on Tuesday to do a filling so will ask more about it then. Thanks for all the advice.

#14 CharliMarley

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

I used baking soda for years on my teeth, just before the sensodyne toothpaste. However, they became too sensitive with the baking soda, so I don't worry about tooth whitening anymore, but make sure I clean my teeth after coffee and I don't drink red wine, only white.

#15 Chookin

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

My boss who is in her 50's did this and they look great...I would do it but neve get around to it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.