Are digital or analog scales more accurate...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nofliesonme

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Hi all I'm confused. I have both scales and have weighed myself elsewhere I come up with different weight. Digital at home say I am 113kg, analog say I'm 140kg, digital up town say I'm 118kg. I was 155kg at giving birth to my youngest. I have lost weight. But don't see a huge drop yet everyone else said its soooo obvious sad.gif which do I believe...I'd like to think I'm the lesser Tounge1.gif

#2 Feraldadathome

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

I'd say that accurate scales are more accurate and that, given two (which happen to be digital) are pretty close, your analog ones have problems.

Commercial scales (ie. ones you pay money to use) used to need a checks and certification for accuracy on a regular basis - don't know whether this applies now....

#3 Oriental lily

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

My digital scales, no matter how expensive they are,are really inconsistent.

They have variations of up to 3kg in one day.

In my experience analogue is more consistent but harder to read and less specific.

Regarding your issue op, I would use a third scale. Obviously one set is really really wrong!

#4 Sassy Dingo

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Well digital scales are more precise (being usually that you can weigh 55.5 or something), but accuracy can only be worked out if you get them calibrated.

Have you got some flour or something? Like a 1kg bag? You could put that on and perhaps one will be obviously inaccurate.

But in the absence of anything else, I would go with the commercial scales, as a PP said, they need to have checks for accuracy. Certainly the analogue seems so far different from the other 2 that I think that one needs to be thrown out. So I would estimate somewhere around the 2 lower figures.

But remember to weigh yourself at the same time and under the same conditions every time - I can vary 3kg in a day easily. I weigh myself naked in the morning, before I eat breakfast and after I have gone to the toilet.

#5 9ferals

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

Wow, that's a big variation!
Seeing as your analogue is so far off the other two, I'd guess that maybe it's faulty.
A few things to try
- weigh something with a known weight (try for 10kg or something, if it's only 1kg it will be too hard to tell)
- make sure you have it on a level, firm surface. Bathrooms often slope, carpet can cause inaccuracies.
- put new batteries in your digital scale.

Really though, scale weight is a pretty fluid number.
If you want to see if your weight is going down (or up!) then just pick one scale and use it in a consistent location at and the same time very day/week.
Remember that your hormones, monthly cycle, level of hydration, whether you've just been to the loo etc will all change the number on the scale and that doesn't necessarily mean that you've "gained or lost weight" in the bigger picture.

I think using clothes (how they fit) or a tape measure is often a better guide than the scales.

#6 mollybot

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

I have just been having this very fight with my digital scales. They vary by up to 2 kilos if I move them an inch to the right or left. Grrrr.

Am using a tape measure - particulalrly as it more accurately reflects how you *look*.

....and I've lost 4cm off my tunny in two weeks ! YAY !

#7 strawberry blondes

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

I would stick with the home digital ones and remember to weigh yourself first thing in the morning after your morning wee.

#8 GenWhy

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

My expensive digital scales vary depending on where they are - if I move them to a different spot they can be 3kg hhigher or lower. My old analogue ones were spot on every time BUT always said I was 2kg lighter than the Drs office ones.

#9 mollybot

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (GenWhy @ 06/02/2013, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My expensive digital scales vary depending on where they are - if I move them to a different spot they can be 3kg hhigher or lower. My old analogue ones were spot on every time BUT always said I was 2kg lighter than the Drs office ones.

Well the clearly the Doctor's were out biggrin.gif

#10 Phascogale

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

I'd also have a look at where your scales are located.  A hard floor will be more accurate than carpet and the floor can't slope.

Agree with using a known weight and comparing and agree that it needs to be a higher weight ie 5-10kg rather than just a one kg.  Moreso when you are looking at the analogue scales - digital have smaller increments (that are readable) so you could use a smaller weight for these.

I've always said that my analogue scales were more accurate because my digital ones were all over the place.  The heavier you were the more they were out.  Which will be another reason why using a higher known weight is relevant.

My husband reckons that my analogue ones are out at the moment (and have been for a while).  Realistically if you use the same set of scales (in the same place) that you should see a pattern... even if they aren't truely accurate.

Also unless they are calibrated regularly you are never really sure if they are actually accurate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.