Anyone bored and want to help me find some journal articles?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Angelot

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

The only journal database access I have is restricted to religion and philosophy, but I want to look up something only distantly related.

When I was doing science, I remember reading a paper on how prolonged exposure to incense caused increased cancers of the throat etc.  I've also heard anecdotally that incense can be bad for people with asthma, and gestating mothers (basically that it's not unlike passive smoke in its health effects).  

I'd like to find any articles out there investigating the health effects of incense - is anyone willing to throw a few search terms into a health journal database and see what comes up?  I'd be eternally grateful...

#2 FeralCrazyMum

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

I did this search on Google Scholar and HEAPS came up ...
Google Scholar

#3 baking101

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

What about:

http://erj.ersjournals.com/content/24/6/1069.short

These are locked (for non-students) by my uni but there are a bunch:
-A Case–Referent Study of Lung Cancer and Incense Smoke, Smoking, and Residential Radon in Chinese Men (2011)
-Soot-driven reactive oxygen species formation from incense burning (2011)
-Characterization of emissions from burning incense (2002)
-Characteritization of, and health risks from, polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins/dibenzofurans from incense burned in a temple (2009)

Hope that helps!

Edited by baking101, 06 February 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#4 noi'mnot

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Have you tried PubMed?

Whilst you'll only be able to access the abstract to many articles there will be some with full text access, and it'll give you a better idea of what you're looking for.

#5 Batmansunderpants

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

Title: Lung cancer in men exposed to incense smoke.(Research)(Brief article)
Source: Environmental health perspectives [0091-6765] yr:2011 vol:119 iss:11

Title: A case-referent study of lung cancer and incense smoke, smoking, and residential radon in Chinese men.
Source: Environmental health perspectives [0091-6765] Tse, Lap yr:2011 vol:119 iss:11 pg:1641 -6

Title: Incense use and respiratory tract carcinomas
Source: Cancer [0008-543X] Friborg, Jeppe yr:2008 vol:113 iss:7 pg:1676 -1684

Title: Lung cancer in Chinese women: evidence for an interaction between tobacco smoking and exposure to inhalants in the indoor environment.
Source: Environmental health perspectives [0091-6765] Tang, Li yr:2010 vol:118 iss:9 pg:1257 -60

Title: Heavy incense burning in temples promotes exposure risk from airborne PMs and carcinogenic PAHs.
Source: Science of the total environment [0048-9697] Chiang, Kuo-Chih yr:2006 vol:372 iss:1 pg:64

Edited by Miss Cookie, 06 February 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#6 AMPSyd

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Google scholar was my greatest friend at Uni.

Google scholar...

http://scholar.google.com.au

I just put in "health effects of incense" and there were heaps. SOme articles are downloadable for free and some you need a Uni password but check them out.

Edited by AMPSyd, 06 February 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#7 Angelot

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

You guys are awesome.  Thanks so much!

#8 Literally Literary

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

When do you need them by? On the weekend I can download articles from databases additional to the ones you have access to, if that's of any use.

#9 Angelot

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

I think I've got what I need for now...it's not urgent.  It's just that I foresee arguments about the use of incense in my near future, and I want to be prepared!

#10 Lady Lovely Locks

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

And now I shall ease up on the incense haha

#11 AMPSyd

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Yes, from the brief bit I read it's not healthy.

Yes, from the brief bit I read it's not healthy.

#12 Angelot

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Well, it stands to reason... but some people are very attached to their incense.  I once got accused of something like "wanting to destroy everything this church stands for" for raising the issue!

#13 Froger

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

I liked my life better before I read this thread. How can I get back to that state of blissful ignorance? sad.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.