Recent experiences with Tiger Airways?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PatG

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

I'm looking at booking some domestic flights and Tiger Airways have good prices at reasonable times.  Last (and only) time I booked with them was a few hours before their fleet was grounded and so I had to rebook with Virgin and get a refund.  Does anyone have some recent experiences with them?  It works out around 30% cheaper than Jetstar or Virgin....

#2 seaside_feral

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

I was also caught up in the grounding & at the time vowed never to fly Tiger again! But I have since broken that vow.... As the prices are just so good! I recently flew to/from Sydney with them & the flights themselves were completely fine - on time, good landings etc.  I was 30 weeks pregnant when I flew though and had to spend nearly an hour on hold to their call centre because my booking needed special notations on it, so that was extremely frustrating.

#3 FiveAus

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

We flew from Melbourne to Brisbane and back on the weekend of Jan 19. We flew up on the Friday and back on the Sunday to attend my sons wedding.

I booked with Tiger with great trepidation, their reputation is abysmal but the whole weekend was costing a lot of money and I thought that at least I could save on the airfares.....plus they were flying at the times we wanted to fly (late Friday afternoon and early Sunday morning).

We were on a tight schedule, as we had 5 dogs in boarding kennels which was costing us over $120 per night, and we had only a one hour window on the Sunday (5pm-6pm) when the kennels were open for us to collect them...so we really couldn't afford any delays.

Well, I was fearful for nothing.....the Friday flight was delayed by 30 minutes because an incoming flight was late and they had to wait for it to land so the runway would be clear.
But that was the only small hitch and we barely noticed it.

We got to Brisbane in good time to attend the pre-wedding dinner on the Friday night, and we got home to country Victoria in plenty of time to collect our dogs.

We were both extremely happy with the service. However, my daughters boyfriend was also supposed to arrive on the Friday night from Sydney, and I'd been comandeered to collect him from the airport as I was the only one who'd hired a car.....and his flight (Virgin) was cancelled and he didn't arrive until 11 am Saturday.

My daughter gave me a good tip though.....she regularly flies Melb to Sydney....she said if you get the Tiger price, then contact Jetstar within 30 minutes, they will better the price by 10%.

Edited by FiveAus, 06 February 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#4 Mocha Coffee

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

We flew with them over Australia Day weekend.  Fabulous.  We, too, were nervous.  Get there really early for check in though. That is the best tip I can give you so they don't shut the flight on you!

#5 maryanneK

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

flown with tiger a lot and only once had a problem where they delayed the flight 2 hours and didnt tell us till we were at the airport! but that was a one off. have had at least 10-20 tiger flights which have been perfect. I fly a lot and have had probably the worst service (in terms of being on time etc) with qantas. Had good flights and bad flights with all of them - i think most of the issues with delays etc are not really within their control - usually its weather or air traffic control.

to the PP with flights to brisbane - be aware that brisbane has a shortage of runway space and flights coming in to brisbane in the evening are pretty much ALWAYS delayed by 30-60 minutes while you circle the airport  rant.gif

#6 tickledpink72

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Wouldn't go near them.  Don't know of anyone who has anything good to say about them.

#7 Chasing*Rainbows

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

All 7 of us flew with them in April and they were great. Departed early on way down and left on time on way back. Check-in was quick and stress free.

#8 Kremeferal

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

I've flown with them 3 times in the past 6 mths.
We've had a couple of short delays, but nothing that I haven't experienced with other airlines. The staff have always been pleasant and helpful. We flew to Melbourne and back on Tiger with our kids recently and both flights were perfectly on time.

#9 FiveAus

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (maryanneK @ 06/02/2013, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
to the PP with flights to brisbane - be aware that brisbane has a shortage of runway space and flights coming in to brisbane in the evening are pretty much ALWAYS delayed by 30-60 minutes while you circle the airport  rant.gif

It was delayed from the Melbourne end, couldn't take off on time because they were waiting for another flight to arrive. But yes, we circled for about 20 minutes above Brisbane but the captain explained it beforehand.
The absolute worst thing about Tiger is the arrival terminal in Melbourne.  It's a cyclone fence, a tin roof, a bitumen floor and a set of portaloos!

#10 blackcat20

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

If Jetstar have similar times, call them and ask for a price beat. It's a little known thing but easily done.

#11 unicycle

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

but while you are waiting on the phone and talking to Jetstar, doesn't your price time out and then you lose the Tiger price?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.