Dietician recommendations...
Anyone suggest one for DH??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JoJomummy

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Im a usually a lurker but am looking for some help today

I'm wondering if any canberrans could recommend a dietician for my DH or point me to some good websites

He has been diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and has been dealing with that for the past 2 yrs. he has now been told he has the coeliac gene and is avoiding the necessary foods plus others on recommendation if our GP.

He is struggling to maintain this diet and is looking for some help for more ideas and is tossing up the idea of seeing a dietician for help

Can anyone offer some suggestions???

#2 Escapin

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

Your GP should be able to do a care plan for your DH which includes 5 FREE visits to a dietician (and they'll give you the details of the dietician too).

Good luck, I found it SO helpful when I was trying to lose weight to see a dietician who could help me modify my current diet, rather than change it completely.

#3 Genabee

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

I don't belong in here, but just wanted to ask/mention...

Does he actually have coeliac disease, or just carrying the gene? To be diagnosed he will need a biopsy, and will need to stay on gluten to do this. Definitely speak with a dietician, but I wouldn't be eliminating gluten until you know for sure he has it and therefore needs to...

Good luck OP!

#4 mollybot

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

FAILSAFE  http://fedup.com.au/ has some good info for people with gluten sensitivity, plus if you contact them, they have a list of friendly Nutritionists who can help

I'd also highly recommend the Real Thyroid hHelp Froums here: http://forums.realthyroidhelp.com/

and they have an Australian section here:  http://forums.realthyroidhelp.com/viewforu...d3a8cf1b2db1857

and you can ask for help with diet here, and also PM the Moderator Catherine for a list of helpful professionals.

Also, check out Marks Daily Apple:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Mark has a HOT body, but that's not the point biggrin.gif the Paleo approach is gluten free and so if you look for any Paleo cookbooks, or websites or just Google "Paleo recipes" they're all gluten free.

The other one which is fab as a starting point is "Wheat Belly" - they have a recipe book, and again, if you Google for "Wheat Belly" recipes, they're all gluten free.

Lastly, Taste.com.au has an advanced search which allows you to search by "Gluten Free"

Don't forget there is a "Gluten Free" thread here on EB as well...

I feel for him ! I also have Hashimotos and its a PITA.

I feel 1000000% better without wheat in my diet ! Its SOOOO worth it !!

#5 halcyondays

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

Regarding your husband being coeliac gene positive- current best practice recommends that he does not change his diet until a diagnosis of coeliac disease is made. Being coeliac gene positive increases his chances of having coeliac disease, but is not diagnostic.
Once he has been gluten free, it can be very hard, and often very uncomfortable for him to go back onto gluten for enough time to do the small bowel biopsy he requires.

#6 mollybot

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

There is a connection betwee Coeliacs and Hashimotos. Roughtly 30% of people with Coeliacs have Hashimotos and vice versa. I pretty much though it was standard practice these days for people diagnosed with Hashis to be taken off gluten (and people with Coeliacs to be tested for Hashis).

If you read "Wheat Belly" he makes a pretty convincing argument as to why *no-one* should be eating wheat, especially the modern varieties.

Coming off gluten has changed my life - I've been able to reduce my medication and my energy levels are sooo much higher. On a side note, my "adult acne" has also completely disappeared. And I've never had a small bowel biopsy - my Dr did it via an elimination diet - took me off it for 6 weeks and then had 24 hours of a high wheat diet. I was in absolute agony & haven't touched it since.

#7 halcyondays

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Mollybot, that is what used to be done, but it can miss some people with coeliac disease.
Also, going on an elimination diet doesn't differentiate if you are intolerant to wheat or all things containing gluten, which is much different with far more serious ramifications for your health and that of your relatives.

http://www.coeliac.org.au/coeliac-disease/diagnosis.html

Edited by halcyodays, 06 February 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#8 JoJomummy

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for your help everybody, I have passed the information you shared with my DH and he is researching away!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.